Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

That’s where I’ve seen them in photos-filler cap centered on panel above trunk

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. Here's a shot of the placement on mine. IMG_20160215_195032.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So many things were done and so many Hotrodders of the yesteryear have left us but they're travels in Hotrod still pop up in estate sales, field and barn finds and even passed down or sold while alive. So a lot of history is in literature, pics and what you find physically and of course many of these fellas chiming in who were driving these Hotrods before we were breathing air...

This may have been a popular mod to Jalopy racers (Stockcars of the 30s 40s 50s) on the Roundy Round tracks they were sliced and diced repaired and modded over and over and what better way of securing a flapping trunk lid and it strengthens the structure. Kind of reminds me of the Vettes of the early 60s and on with no trunklids to speak of...Buddy was way ahead of his time...:D

Hey Riff heres @Hitchhiker's thread on his Vintage Hotrod and if you visit you will see how much these Members do to try to track down the history...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...odel-a-roadster-last-registered-1966.1009367/

Now here is a link to a survivor Hotrod/Racer that has historical past (note the timing plate on the dash) that went up for Auction and didn't pull huge coin but a respectable winning bid gives one pause to think about blasting into a known 60s survivor before doing some research...have a look and remember this is a very sought after 32 ford roadster. That all said this is your Hotrod and your doing this for yourself however there is a connection to your father but not you know it had a Hotrod past prior to your dad getting it and I'm excited to hear what comes out of the woodwork.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO16/Monterey/lots/r215-1932-ford-hi-boy-roadster/382330

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vic Walter, brad2v, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  6. 97

More posts in a week than some threads ever get, have just read the whole shebang , and couldn't agree more with 99% of what has been said. It's possible that your hotrod was only updated just before your Dad bought it, maybe to satisfy Texas fender laws? I tried to look that up and found this page, which just reinforces what others have said about keeping the frame/numbers and the character of the car https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/uniqueVeh.htm
    The fact that the car had it's own custom trailer probably means that it was a top end car of the time and possibly a California show car. Maybe a search of Oakland Roadster Show (GNRS) and LA Roadster Show entries from the 60s would shed some extra light.
    e.g. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/history-grand-national-roadster-show/
    Another Hamber with a shop who would possibly be a good fit, if Keith and the team at Rex rods cannot help is
    Danny Burroughs , at Bruce's Rod Shop in Spring, Texas. His Dad is Bruce, Mum is Kay , they all daily drive high quality Ford hot rods, traditional style....
    I am amazed that Ryan ( the boss here at the HAMB hasn't chimed in, but he may well be away somewhere with Kieth for the holidays.
    Nobody else has mentioned it , but some of the people who have offered you advice are among the most respected traditional hot rodders in the world, there is probably nothing Moriarty doesn't know on the subject and Pete Eastwood funnily enough ( as Pete and Jakes said it can't be done) was the senior chassis man at Blairs Speedshop in Pasadena when the Pete Chapouris of Pete and Jakes got his first hot rod job there.... 50 years ago.

7. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I agree with almost all of your changes except the taillights. If you put them back in the body then you can just unbolt the fenders before you drive out to El Mirage and your ready to go...… Holy shit am I old.

8. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I'm leaving the lights on the fenders for now, but I promise if I ever get an invite to race at the dry lakes, I will have the car modified per your specs!

loudbang and jimgoetz like this.
  9. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks 97 - Spring TX is not that far away either. If Rexrods doesn't work out I may contact Bruce's.
    As for the expertise and experience level I have been exposed to on this site: my son and I had a conversation early on last week that there were alot of 'keyboard warriors' here that just lurked around waiting to debate and offer their opinions. However, after reading up on each member, their profiles, their previous posts, and letting their suggestions sink in, it is clear that many Hambers are highly qualified and passionate about this subject. Ar ethere any reunions or regional meetings in this community? I would love to meet some of the members I have interacted with in person. Thanks again.

low down A, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  10. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy - that's alot of research and gave me some ideas on how to ramp up my search. thanks. That h-boy racer is amazing.

11. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. town sedan

town sedan

HAMB national drags at MoKan dragstrip, middle of August every year.

I love the look of your roadster. Make it safe and have fun!
    -Dave

raven, loudbang, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  13. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

The Lone Star Round Up in Austin, best car show in Texas

slv63, loudbang, RustyBullet and 4 others like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it still resides in BC...not sure its Dave Shorter's still but you never know...heck he might even be a Hamber.

It seems to have retained much of its former glory...but it looks to me as if the fenders have been widened and wide profile radials added which I'm not a big fan of but it isn't mine.

The grill shell may have been dropped down to match cowl profile and of course a hood added. Those mods are more scrutinized now. The high grilles were often not labored on to match profile as Hotrodding back in the day wasn't necessarily about looking pretty and more work was often waived. But like most things many did go the extra to make it right. Your Roadster may actually have a slightly High Shell...its real easy to tell...just look at the side profile...add a piece of tape from the center cowl to the shell...its really straightforward to remedy.

Hey...I'm glad your getting into this History and rapping with the members.

There really is a wealth of information here and a lot of the Best in Hotrod/Custom/Race frequent/and are Members here.

I will say one thing about Hotrod/Custom Owners...some build a vision and it changes little in their lifetime...others started with a Period Vintage style and keep modding it till it's basically a StreetRod...its literally like that. I've done hardly anything to the Hotrod I bought...I might change a couple of details but in my opinion the builder nailed a timeless historic vision even though its inspired.

One thing my way I find is this period Hotrod thing is a very niche thing. When I go to shows many times I am the only true 1962/3ish period Hotrod there. I'm not better then any of the others it's just my choice of vision right down to my Bias Plys and drum brakes...;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  15. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

texasred - I saw that show coming in April - I'll try to make it.

slv63, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Loving this thread!
    You are getting great advice, and listening with open ears. Awesome.
    My input is this-you are doing this for the right reasons, the car means something to you. Build towards that emotion. Its one thing to own a cool car, it another and rarer thing to be touched by one. Keep listening-to the advice, to your heart. You have a chance to preserve an heirloom, so dont rush.
    There is a big general rod show in Gonzales Feb 2nd, Hot Rods and Hatters. https://www.hotrodsandhatters.com Hit that up, check the rides, make notes. Then digest it all for a few weeks and head to Wimberly for the https://thehotrodshowdown.com and really study the traditional cars, and talk to the owners and the builders present.
    In the end, its your car. Build to your vision. I am really looking forward to seeing it when done.

17. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks HunterYJ! I’ve always loved car shows-I’ll check them out.

loudbang and HunterYJ like this.
  18. That is the car originally built by Dave Shorter a machinist at the time, with a lot of frame and body work done by Jack Williams of Syndicate Scuderia fame. It was sold to Lorne Kerr about 1962, who let it go a few years later, but got it back a few years ago and rebuilt it to its present condition.
    I'll send Lorne a link to this thread and maybe he will chime in on it.

19. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Great. Appreciate it HemiDeuce. His car and mine have has a similar look.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just read through this thread. VERY, VERY COOL Hot Rod!!!

As has already been mentioned, there's a good chance that it may have some significant history, on top of your own family history. Just the long family history, by itself would keep me from making very many changes, (beyond cosmetic), if any at all. That's the route that I have followed with my 55 Chevy. Mechanically, 99% of it is the same as it was in 1977, (the basic car has been in my family since 1975, with the engine and driveline since 1970).

Several HAMBers have ID'd the rear axle as a 1955 - 1964 Chevy. To narrow it down a bit, the housing looks to be either a 55 or 56 Chevy housing. From the photos, it looks like it does not have a drain plug. 55 & 56 housings did not have drain plugs. 57 - 64 housings did. Also, 55 & 56 housings use different wheel bearings and axel retainers, than the 57 - 64 housings.

The center section could be anything from 1955 to 1964. All the center sections will interchange....Including Positracs. However, when putting a Posi in a 55 - 56 rear axel, the axel shafts need to be slightly shortened.

It was mentioned about possibly replacing the 283 with a 383. A good 283 would be able to move a light little roadster like yours, right along. A well built 283 would make your roadster really scoot. As an example, my 55 turns high 13's in the 1/4 mile. This is with a 283 that has basically been built into a Chevy 302......Same factory cam, heads, etc. By the way, the 283 in my 55 was originally built in about 1968.

Posi axel shafts.jpg

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Don't let anyone discourage you from getting this rig back on the road.
    Don't let that shop convince you your frame is garbage because of age or a crossmember, nor let them tell you fenders and that frame cant work, clearly it was figured out in the 70s!
    I'd do the mechanical things to make it safe and reliable and worry about cosmetics as you see fit. Its a great piece of history to your family and to hot rods!

22. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks Torkwrench. A couple of years ago, I looked up the SN on the motor and it came back from a 1957 Chevy. it's been sitting a long time. We fired it up about 12 years ago and it appeared to have good compression, but I'm sure it needs a rebuild. Since my "Hambification" these past 2 weeks, I've decided to keep the motor with the car...

waxhead, Torkwrench, cactus1 and 4 others like this.
  23. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

I am the proud owner of a 1946 Chevy truck that has some history, there is definitely a fine line.

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

How is the starter mounted? 56 was mounted to cast iron powerglide, does 57 even have side pad mounts?

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I can't recall, but I'm going to see the car this weekend. I'll take more notes and photos then, and post them on the site. Anything else detail-wise to document? I already have a list:
    • find one of the old radial tires and see if I can get a date of manufacture
    • look at Stewart Warner gauges for date of manufacture
    • Look at brand of slot wheels
    • try to find another VIN number on chassis
    • Look for how starter is mounted to verify if 283 sbc is '56 or '57
    • take closer photos of rear end, front axle, brake drums to verify make/model
    • Look for mounting holes under dash or in firewall for possible timing plate from dry lakes racing days

26. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Also see if the original P*$$y magnet is still located in the car. It would have had a big one back in the day

HunterYJ and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

56, there were no holes for starter in the block and relied on 2sp trans. 57 might have starter holes. There might be vin# under door sill, drivers side.

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riff @stillrunners has family lineage in Vintage Hotrod and His Late Uncles Roadster in it's full fender state was quite the Looker and somewhat similar in configuration but on the other hand quite different...he has a couple of threads with more history on his Uncles adventures and again worthy of checking out to see the incredible interest to the historic Hotrod Past...

roadster 1960.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lost-my-uncle-its-a-good-thing.1055926/

street rear pic_0001.jpg

street door seats.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-uncles-stuff.1078729/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-uncles-stuff.1078729/

Credit to Hamber @stillrunners

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a guy with an old time Model A HotRod and no knowledge of old cars is a wet dream for a rip off shop, or someone who thinks more about paying the rent than what is good for the car or the owner. I would advise not letting anyone touch it that was not HAMB approved. this place will definitly point you in the right direction.

as stated if they think that is a Chevrolet axle either they know absolutely nothing about cars of the 30's or you did not hear them right. Chevrolets all had parallel leaf springs up front in the 30's. not a single cross spring

30. in defense of the shop, they are not looking to rip you off, they are doing what they know. tearing it apart, changing to new stuff and making it shiny. nothing wrong with that and I bet they are skilled at it. this is a whole other animal, it is a RESTORATION and I am glad to see it heading that way.
    on the time frame of the build it is very possible the chevy motor was added in the late fifties. my dad built the car I have in 57 and started out with a 55 265 and a year later swopped to a 283. he told me they were out of wrecks and the junk yards were happy to sell them.
    as far as drivability you will be more than happy with a hot 283, plenty of smooth power, there are plenty of gear choices for the axle to make it perform.