Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I really appreciate the responses tonight. I’m going to compromise a bit on this car. I’ll keep as much as I can of the original car, but I don’t have the time or money to strengthen the chassis (boxing, new cross members). I’m going to put the original body and fenders on a prefab frame, with better brakes, etc. I am planning on finishing out the build in 60’s era style where possible. Is that sacrilege?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Well I hope I didn’t already screw it up. I told the shop guys to leave chassis/frame/drivetrain as is. Hopefully I can find a old Deuce expert around here that can give me further advice. I’ll try to find the guys that were mentioned.

F&J and Stogy like this.
  3. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Will do sir-thanks again

Stogy likes this.
  4. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Pete-thanks for the response. Where are you located?

Stogy likes this.
  5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It should not cost as much to repair what you already have than to buy a fabbed chassis to replace the original!

brEad, pitman, Hollywood-East and 3 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before you put all modern under it seriously find out historically what you have...Your Dad may have bought a Hotrod with Provenance and sometimes they are worth significant coin. I would try to round up every detail Your Dad had on it such as the name of the yard bill of sale magazines any thing he had.

The frame suspension and brakes if restored to pass inspection status are more than adequate to safely stop you...remember it is not a Vette...its a light old car with components made to stop and drive just fine when restored to inspection pass condition and all components are restorable with new. That was a Hotrod so the brakes may be upgraded to later period braking and possibly steering as well. and rearend may be more modern as well. My Hotrod has 57 Chev.

The Master Cylinder is one component that often gets upgraded to a twin reservoir for safety over a single but the drum brakes are more than adequate to stop that car 24/7.

My thoughts are at a minimum keep all original frame and components. Seriously SAVE all components brakes, springs shocks rear end...ALL as it may be a rare original Hotrod with lineage and be actually quite valuable in its original Hotrod configuration.

Rexrods is in Texas...Highly regarded and restoring a historic hotrod here Tweety and this is what I mean by historical lineage...once its cut away and gone it's value changes.

This Hotrod went through all kinds of changes and is now being restored back to a period in its history...see link below. the Owner of that car is very knowlegable in the history in the area of Hotrods and may be able to provide details.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...returns-after-50-years-kerville-drags.985495/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  7. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Maybe I need to do more research. All that’s been done is the body has been removed from frame and sandblasted.

pitman and Stogy like this.
  8. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks Stogy-I’ll look up Rexrods

Stogy and Tim like this.
  9. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy likes this.
  10. If you decide to slip a modern frame under it (which I don't recommend) be sure to talk with your local DMV and find out what you will need to do since the VIN number (serial number) is only on the frame (unless the DMV put one on the door jam). Be sure the paperwork is clean before you do too much.

Charlie Stephens

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was this Hotrod driven recently I mean in the last 2 years as I remember seeing a pic of one here that really reminds me of it.

12. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Good point-thanks Charlie

loudbang likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could possibly meet the owner of Tweety at Rexrods as he spends some time there with his restoration overseeing and participating in it and he could perhaps give you advice on what we are discussing here. His input would be quite valuable.

Have a look at that Hotrod and see its history...its quite remarkable...And what he has done is basically decided to build it to a year in its Hotrod history.

I applaud you for being open to reversing your direction as it may be something you may years from now be glad you did. I am no historian but I have really come to respect the history of these old Hotrods. You were willed a Time Capsule.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Hot Rod Nut and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  14. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Wish I could find that guy in Amarillo that my Dad bought it from. He would know more about the history.

Stogy likes this.
  15. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Nope

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another thing @RiffRaffRoadster is your father bought this Hotrod possibly not knowing its past travels and if I was you I would really try to find out its past previous lineage. typical of many vintage Hotrods they just got parked and sat despite many connections to the history of the movement. You may through sharing other pics possibly of your Dads collection that someone here may be able to connect to former glory.

What I really mean by former glory is did it for instance race at the Dry Lakes in it's History prior to your Dads ownership such as El Mirage.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you take a long slow read of this thread you may draw some inspiration from it, plus it may help you better form an opinion of what you seek and what can be done by the right people.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-coupster-on-32-rails-updated.335443/

Not all of what you read will, be directly related to your project but I am sure it will help you get your head around what you have and what you want...

I believe the guidance and suggestions offered to you so far in this thread are all good knowledgeable replies that can be relied upon.

19. flatford39

flatford39

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  20. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

My 2c, repair the frame, if it needs it. If your going to buy a new one , spend that on fixing what you have, what you have has history attached. The front axle will be better than a repro one ( not enough info so I’m assuming ). Everything is there just needs tidying up. Upgraded brakes (what’s it got now?) you can do yourself .

Hot Rod 50 likes this.
  21. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Neat little ride, I've only seen one or two 30/31s on a deuce chassis and deuce fenders. One minor bit of advice---Ad your state/city or area to your post or Avatar. Every thing from local advice to local recmmendations, your location helps. Bill

fiftyv8 likes this.
  22. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

That seems to be the consensus advice from members of this site. I haven’t ordered the chassis yet. According to the builders, front axle is from a Chevy. Brakes are all drum, not sure from what /where. I thought it had a Ford 9” rear end but the builders said it was from another make. IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2265.JPG

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Looks like 57ish chevy rear end

Hot Rod Nut, Gizzy, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  24. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Looks like Ford front end , split bones and maybe Chev rear, nothing wrong there. Easy upgrade on the front brakes if you really need to, drums stop fine if good , they just don’t like heat as much as a vented disc.

25. That rear Axle looks like tri-5 Chevy. I've learned over the years If you don't know exactly how you want things done, ya gotta be dang careful who you listen to. I've been told many times you can't run a Full Fendered T on a Model A frame. Guess what.
    20180404_153408.jpg Be careful who you ask what you can do and how to do it. A lot of shops will help ya alright, right out of a ton of $$$. Yes I need to do a little radiator work and build a Hood, long ways from can't do it.

26. Mo rust

Mo rust

One of the most fun things to do are the things that others say can’t be done.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

X2 - One minor bit of advice---Ad your state/city or area to your post or Avatar.
    Every thing from local advice to local recommendations, your location helps.

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  29. glrbird

glrbird

You might contact members of the Gear Grinders car club here in San Antonio. they are on facebook also. lots of old time hot rodders and friendly people.

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

FC4474D4-5BC0-40D9-9EA0-08541C49991A.png

This pic right here is golden, new chassis if you must but save as much of the original paint interior ect. As you can.. Looks like most of it will clean up nice , people salivate over survivor hotrods now

It may not be as bad as you been led to believe lot of people just want to buy new and bolt on

Looking at the pics the chassis looks in good condition still, I have a friend who just moved to San Antonio who would probably be willing to work on it on the side all depends on what you want

And I’m sure kieth at Rex could get you set up for sure

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018