Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods BEAR CLAW LATCH LOCKS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cshades, Nov 16, 2018.

1. cshades

cshades
    from wi

The thread on mistakes in building made me think about my avatar truck. When I built it i removed the outside door handles, installed bear claw latches and remote openers. After posting on the mistake thread I started wondering about reinstalling the original out side handles and hooking them to the bear claw latches. I don't think it will be too bad to come up with linkages to make it work but how do I make it lockable? It would be way to much work to install the original latch assemblies because when I removed all of that I plated over the door post parts to mount the catch post for the latch. I cant be the only one that has installed these latches how do you make it lockable?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

If you could find a proper looking outer locking handles...but, I have no idea of how that will all work with interior lockability.

Example: 32 Ford did not have a lock in the handle when new, but you can get repro 32 ones that do have locks...so maybe you can find a slightly newer era handle in a repro that has locks?

mad mikey likes this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I installed them in my 41 Plymouth and they close like a Swiss watch. They are connected to the original handles and they have electric locks, no manual inside lock pulls. Also, I installed an emergency pull wire for if the battery is dead. It's not hard. I don't see any reason you couldn't install manual pulls but the key lock would present a problem.

4. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

I know its a lotta hoops to jump through but I made my outside door handle operate the electrical switch that activates the door popper or solenoid. then , a keyed outside main power switch and BAM !! your'e locked !!

Tman likes this.

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. They used to sell a power suiced dead bolt lock that worked off remote that you could use or figure out how to make a keyed door lock work a dead bolt.

7. cshades

cshades
    from wi

They have a locking latch that looks like it will fit in place of what I have now. I am going to get some and have a look at them. thanks

rockable likes this.
  8. Just a heads up that there have been Bearclaws or their Chinese built knock offs that have failed to keep doors closed. (First hand experience on more than one car and more than one door). Just letting you know.

9. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

When I was building my F4 truck I found some handles from a company that kept components for a Bus.
    These have a key in the handle and that makes the handle lock seperate to the bear claw. The bear claw still locks on the inside. A quick GOOGLE search would find you something period correct to suit.

EDIT: If it helps you for ideas this is the web site I got the handles from >
    https://uesint.com/ as they looked very much like the original handles I had to replace with the exception they had a key in the handle and not in the door.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  10. Non-locking.;)
    I have some.

11. fortynut

fortynut

Bear claw latches are a common sense addition to any door. On any automobile with suicide doors, I would use them, along with sliding safety bolts. I made friends with a couple who had a nice '34. On one visit I noticed his wife was covered with stitches and bruises. I said, rather light hearted, "Reed, you didn't beat your wife, did you?" Both of them laughed at me. As it turns out, she wanted to roll the window down and bumped the door handle. Next thing, she gets pulled out and takes a tumble down the side of a secondary road. I saw her shudder, before she said, "It gets door locks with sliding bolts." This is a true story, so take note. It happens. Belts and suspenders, are just right. Same with door safety. And, think about this: there are some movies that show Olden gassers rolling, and the first thing you notice is the doors flying open and flopping around like a crippled goose trying to fly. It's a stomach churning moment. Thanks. Be careful out there.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  12. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I was going to order them yesterday, I emailed them and they are out of stock at this time. I also noticed that the shipping is $20 on a $70 pair of latches. I started thinking about it last night when I got out to the home shop, I have the original handles from the 40 that I had rechromed back when I built the truck. I was looking at them and the locking part is in the handle on one of them and the door I used on the passenger side has a lock cylinder in the door. I am going to see if I can make something work with what I have. Whatever that may be.

Jacque Terrell likes this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Reviving an old thread.
    I'm looking for bear claw locking latches, and mostly all I'm finding are Autoloc locking latches.
    Are these OK, or is there an issue with them?
    It seems everyone is selling the ones this company offers, or they don't have a company name attached to them at all. Are there other options that don't cost $200? Gene

14. Autoloc = Hoffman.
    Up to you.;)

Ned Ludd likes this.
  15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

"Bear Claw" is apparently a Hoffman Group trademark. Other manufacturers use generic names like "bear jaw" or similar.

16. Reidy

Reidy

To educate an uneducated, how essential are Bear Claw latches. I am in the process of building a 1941 Chev truck. Do I need Bear Claw latches on this or are they more for earlier bodies or different style original latches.

Thanks
    Steve from down under

17. Old car latches are not that different from those in a house door. A tongue and a keeper.
    Modern or 'burst proof' latches are double acting, meaning two catching positions. You would be familiar with this in any car made in the past 5 or more decades. Plus, the jaws usually enclose a loop or bar with a flanged end, preventing the jaws from sliding off.
    So if a door comes loose it has to go through two stages to open, unless you operate the release of course in which case the spring loaded catch boings open in one go. It's a safety thing, the door can't just open because of body flex. OEMs have had then like that for decades and many jurisdictions require them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Cosmo49 and Ned Ludd like this.
  18. No idea on the locking version; but my friend had some regular Hoffman Autoloc latches and one started mysteriously partially unlatching. Found that hardening the wear parts apparently was not part of the design; replaced with a pair of USA made TriMark latches. No more worries.

19. belair

belair

Good to know about TriMark. Anything Hoffman related is trash.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'd thought I'd read that Autoloc was a Hoffman company, thank you for confirming that.

I would really like to have the locking version of the door latch, as apposed to a simple modern latch. I have a set of latches and handles from a modern vehicle, but they haven't been well cared for and are rather stiff. I'm in the process of freeing them up,

I will look into "bear Jaw" and also Trimark for latches. Any other options?

21. Canuck

Canuck

Did a Model A build, wanted outside handles, lockability and safety.

Decided to use a small DUAL arm bear claw mechanism. The dual arms allow a link for the outside door handle and a separate link for the inside handle. A link to the latches that I used, models 9-400-R and 9-400-L, similar to the 9D-400-UR and 9D-400-UL without the dovetail. These units also are FMVSS approved.

http://www.eberhard.com/series/passenger-restraints , Made in Canada so a quality product. Try:
    Passenger Restraints, Eberhard Manufacturing, Product Series, Passenger Restraints Latch | Eberhard Manufacturing Company

Used the Model A outside passenger handle that has a lock cylinder and original locking and handle support for driver side.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    fiftyv8 likes this.
  22. Looking at a picture of their locking latch; it appears to be an add-on. Maybe you could reverse engineer a lock onto a real one.

Maybe they trademarked the name bear claw; but it seems to me that we were calling those equipment latches bear claws before Hoffman was around.

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

The object of my attention is a 49 Dodge truck. Model A locking handles will not work (I have a pair I hacked up to try on the last Dodge truck before I dropped the big bucks on its locking handles). I can buy a pair of locking handles for the Dodge @ $150 for the pair with matching keys being a possibility, but no guarantees! I wasn't real impressed with the last set. The 49 Dodge did not have a driver side outside door lock, and everything except the hatch is missing on the passenger side, and the old style latches don't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. If I can get a pair of locking bear claw latches, I can add a modern lock assembly (with matching keys) to both doors and adapt the oem outside handles to work with the bear claw latches.
    The next option is to install modern latches (which I can buy new for less then locking bear claws) and adapt the lock cylinder and door handle to work. I'm just not sure the modern latches will clear the door window tracks.

Canuck, your link didn't work for me. Gene

24. Canuck

Canuck

Sorry about that, they are in process of changing their web site. Try revised link I put in posting, also dig around their site, they have lots of neat stuff we could use on our cars.

25. I sell bear claw style latches, with mine being only made in USA. I haven't been able to get an internal locking latch. Most people use solenoids to open the latch from outside, which also provides the security. Or a stock outer handle with locking capability if your vehicle has that available, could be used. The Auto-Loc is Chinese made and is owned by Hoffman. There is enough evidence of Hoffman products on HAMB to be of concern.

I have many customers that have purchased my latches to replace Chinese latches that were popping open on bumps or car flexing. All of the bear claw style latches use a std bolt pattern for a given size, so the swap is pretty easy. My latches fixed the problem, which indicated it was a latch quality problem, and not an installation problem. I have sold over 3000 sets, all over the world, and not had one single quality issue or returned part. Just can't help you out with an internal locking latch.

anothercarguy and Algoma56 like this.
  26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

27. Bear claw latches are a camper industry item.