Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Fear & Loathing The Cold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2018.

1. topher, I am originally from up north{and used to a lot of snow} and people here act the same way here in east T.N. when they here an inch or 2 is coming. They all run to the food markets.I think the food store are in kacouts with the weather people to make money. LOL. Bruce.

Ford52PU and crashfarmer like this.
  2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

can you imagine being a loathsome classic car dealer when it doesn't even hit zero?

average temperature the week between Christmas and New Years was 1.6 degrees.

Thor1, partsdawg and flatheadpete like this.
  3. Record highs up here in the frozen north, +8c/+46f!
    We will finally get rid of all the ice from our last rain storm.
    Another 40 years & maybe central Canada will be the winter vacation hot spot.
    Anybody want to buy some farm land on spec.?
    I sure will miss ice fishing.

4. A Boner

A Boner

Thank God for global warming! Ten thousand years ago Wisconsin was covered in a glacier. A few more degrees and it will be perfect here! Worst thing is the F'ing salt on the roads up here. That's why I drive a winter beater.....sliding around in the snow is why northern drivers are more at home at places like Bonneville. Summer's up here a wonderful.....could never handle the number of 100+ degree days you guys endure down there! The dry heat of Arizona, maybe.....the humidity of Texas, no chance in hell partner!

pat59, bobwop and partsdawg like this.
  5. I tell folks you haven't lived till you have to scrape the inside of your car windows, to see where the heck your going!.....So far below zero that the color in the thermometer disappears!.....
    Ah the good Ol' days back home in Minnesota!.....No thanks, endured that shit for over 40 years and I had to work outside in that crap, delivering groceries as well!.....Moved to Colorado Springs, 20 years ago....we get a little winter here, but it's tolerable
    and you can drive your hot rod year round too!....Thanks, but think I'll stay put here!

Sent from my LGMS210 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ryan,
    We once considered the colder states, Oregon, Washington, but thought the Southwest was a great climate area. My wife was from OKC and some of the relatives still reside there. We have relatives that once used to live in So Cal that are now in Tennessee. They told us that it got to -6 degrees last week and snow was piled up on their driveway. A photo of the snow piled up on their porch and driveway was visual proof. We were still in shorts, t-shirts and sandals.

But, we did not have the heart to tell them that where they used to live in Lake Forest, CA had the highest temperature in the USA on that particular day, 90 degrees. A So Cal weather phenomenon, but, later that night, it got down to 49 degrees. We like mild climates, mild weather and things that happen, but when it goes to the extremes, (fire, rain, mud) yikes.

Jnaki
    We figured out that as nice as some places in the USA are during the year, there are times when it is not so great. So, we decided that we are So Cal people and stayed here for all of these years, despite the earthquakes, tropical storms, mudslides, fires, traffic, and tons of people, etc. If we want to experience the trials and tribulations that snowy weather brings, we can drive 1.5 hours up the local mountains to fit right into the scene.

Good luck this winter, stay sharp, healthy, and relaxed...Spring is just around the corner.

7. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I apologize for getting so verbose, I probably rambled on too long and got way off topic.

I guess my roots go down too deep on this land to move south even though it sounds tempting at times. I live on the same farm that I came home to from the hospital in town three miles away when I was born so I haven't got far in life. There was that year after I married my wife that I lived in Des Moines. She had vowed before she met me that she would never marry a farmer or live on a farm, never say never. Even though it was real convenient if I needed to get a loaf of bread or something, I was used to living 11 miles from the nearest town as we had moved to the home place when I was 4 1/2 after Grandpa died, it had a way better house than this place that my parents bought just before I was born. I just didn't feel "right" living in the city kind of like a square peg in a round hole. One day a city man visited me, he told me that some of the neighbors had reported me for having too many cars in my driveway and parking a truck that I used in my business in a residential zone. Heck, I only had 6 vehicles sitting there and the "truck" was my hopped up but off topic 1969 Ford F100 and I did use it to haul quite a bit of stuff. This angered me quite a bit but the city man souldn't do a thing about all the vehicles since they were all licensed and looked operable. I also had found it difficult to keep up on things I needed to do at the farm over 50 miles away so I had things happen like a very poor tomato crop. I put my foot down and we moved to the farm.

I was going to fix up the old farmhouse but gave up that plan and bought a repossessed 12 x 65 mobile home for $1500. When I hooked up the water it leaked everywhere there was a pipe, they'd all frozen and broke so I re-plumed the whole thing running the pipes along the ceiling where it was heated, it makes no sense to run them under the floor in an unheated area. I dug in the electric line from the incoming power pole, 30 foot with a pickaxe in February, I was in great shape back then. I called the REC (electric company) but they told me they were too busy to come out right away, could I do it myself they asked, of course they all knew me and figured I could get it done. I shut the power off on the transformer mounted on the really high pole at the road, climbed the pole where our power meter was and hooked up our power to the trailer. Sometime that summer the REC came out and checked my work and told me it all looked good.

We lived in that trailer for 20 years then I bought lour current 4 bedroom modular home, also a repo, in 2008. I'm in the process of redoing the plumbing in this house since This really cold weather leaves us with frozen pipes. My wife hates it when we get down to using a 5 gallon bucket as in the bathroom. I'd always thought that I'd build a new house here but that looks doubtful given my current situation and the fact is that I don't really own the land, my Mom owns 1/2 and the other 1/2 is in a trust for us kids, it's not designated what land is what.

It seems to me that it's been extra cold around here but as far as snow we've been OK. I've seen it where I have snow piled over seven feet tall the whole length of my driveway and it's 1/4 mile long. I haven't had to fire up a tractor to move snow yet this winter.

8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I forgot I was going to post some more snow pictures.

One of my 1956 Fords
    0109101540a.jpg 0109101540b.jpg 0109101541a.jpg

Part of my driveway 0110101619b.jpg 0110101616b.jpg

And a video of my home this December

9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_6580.JPG I would rather have a little snow and cold than another tour of this

10. Satyr

Satyr

hmmmm.... a limited run of vintage type HAMB ice scrapers in the store... maybe..

Nostrebor and pat59 like this.
  11. I used to enjoy winter visiting us every year, but as more time goes by the more I am bothered by the fact that you can almost hear the cars disintegrating and flaking away every time the rain and snow hits.
    The don't call it THE RUST BELT for no reason.

After you watch too many of your favorite metal family members fade away and crumble, then realize there are fewer and fewer pieces to fix them with, you start to resent those forces that attack and attack without any remorse over the damage they do.
    :)
    I wish I lived in a rust free neighborhood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

flatheadtommy likes this.
  12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I was in New Orleans yesterday and we got a dusting of snow, it shut the town down. We jad a hell of a time finding a bridge open to get out. Finally had to drive around cones then had the road to ourselves. Ill stick with wisconsin weather for now. Im in pasacgoula ms and people keep asking what i think od the weather i say its normal.

bobwop likes this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heat wave today in SE MI. 27 degrees! Sorry kids, it's called
    W E A T H E R. It happens, and it's surely not the 1st time Austin got cold, right? But hey, where's all the flooding and global warming we've been warned of for decades? I might even go roadster if that happens, and I'M A COUPE GUY! Look at the bright side Ryan, you might could take up snowmobiling! Imagine that! 0-60 in under 4 seconds, on snow! With noise! Burning fossil fuels! You could tow it with your truck if you fix the defrosters. Hey man, I feel for ya, just can't reach ya. :cool:

FWIW, lifetime in the Motorstate but I didn't choose it. Hope you take this as laughing with you, but it's not nice to dis Mother Nature. Careful...

14. brady1929

brady1929

OR you could live in a place that has 20 days of temps above 110 deg f!

15. The Sam Barris pict in the snow, is up on Angeles Crest Hwy probably 25 Mi from L.A.

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""I tell folks you haven't lived till you have to scrape the inside of your car windows, to see where the heck your going!""

Gees I forgot about having to do that! Been a long time! Here in center of CT its 23° and they say 40's Sat thru Tues...When its too cold out I sure get more done inside just because I'm there..Of course heated garage helps..

Ford52PU likes this.
  17. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Ryan, We got a Wicked good heat wave up here in New England IMG_1424.jpg

18. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

If it means anything, we had us some good old black ice in Tampa this morning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

I grew up very cold in the Montana Rockies while under the seductive charms of California. There were three things I wanted: 1) Sun & warmth, 2) Girls, and 3) hot rods. I looked so often at the Beach Boys Little Deuce Coupe album cover that he family thought I was nuts. That '32 was so cool. When I graduated in 1973, I got in my 1960 Ford Falcon and headed to California before the graduation ceremony took place. You could still regularly see hot rods on the street. I have my coupe now! And a few girls along the way and many warm days. I can never figure out why my friends and relatives have stayed up there.

jnaki likes this.
  20. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

FYI for all you southern folks putting up with the freeze, if you RainX your windows the frost and snow peals right off your windows. I do mine every month in the winter. A CD case might scratch the glass also. Better to use a credit card. It works great on your snow shovel too. Keeps the snow from sticking adding to your labors.

pat59 likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How the Hell can Russians ever be happy in that kind of crap ?

22. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

-15 to -20°F in Fargo for a few days last week... Great time to visit the northland!
    20180114_091609.jpg

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Maybe my ex-wife is vacationing in the South.

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

People in the North forget how to drive on slippery roads from year to year and even snowfall to snowfall. Everyone has a four wheel drive vehicle but they don't stop any faster or turn any better. They still want to hug the bumper of the vehicle in front of them. Tires grip a lot better when it's below zero than they do in the 25 to 30 degree range. The weight of a vehicle is just enough to melt the snow so you're driving on wet ice. Not many in the South use winter tires. All season tires are worthless in all seasons. Tire rubber gets hard from driving on hot roads so it doesn't have much grip on wet or icy roads.

25. Bobacuda

Bobacuda

When I was in the Navy, I used to joke with my friends that the only folks with common sense lived in the South. My proof was "I know lots of folks from the North that worked their entire lives to retire in the South. I don't know anyone from the South that has worked their whole life to retire up North."

After that soaked in, they usually agreed with me. o_O

26. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just make sure your heater works. 05.01.2016 052.jpg

ShortyLaVen and Truck64 like this.
  27. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

It's been so cold here the last couple of weeks you have to jump start a rabbit to go rabbit hunting......

Speedwrench likes this.
  28. no55mad

no55mad

Grew up in Michigan, joined the Air Force at 20 years old, ended up in Calif and decided to stay there. After 45 years in Calif, now spending the current winter in Mich because of my dog. Dog, she was in heat and found a male in Mich, WPGriffon, kind of rare breed and hard to find a stud. Wife likes winters so here we are. On new years weekend, Sat night, the heater quit when it was close to 0 degrees. 8 hours later a furnace tech came and replaced a circuit board but the house got to below 30 degrees. That's a scary scenario because that heat is necessary for survival! The water pipes and drain traps to the bathroom froze and thawed out a few days later. Then as mentioned above, the salty roads, the Michigan rust belt, breaks my heart to see the rust cancer on so many vehicles! It's also weird shoveling the snow, next day shoveling the same area, next day shoveling the same area...... and rabbits, woke up to a screaming wife the other day because the dog had brought a rabbit into the house. But, after you get used to it, the snow is a beautiful thing and makes one appreciate spring! IMG_0660.JPG

LSJUNIPER likes this.
  29. philo426

philo426

You took the model T out i n the snow?

30. no55mad

no55mad

Made for some 'cool' Christmas card pics:cool: IMG_0656.JPG

LSJUNIPER and tb33anda3rd like this.