Register now to get rid of these ads!

17 year old VS 1928 Model A Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nelsoncoupe, Jul 6, 2014.

1. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

So I was just given a 1928/29 model A roadster. My mom said my dad and I couldn't get another project after we sold our 57 Chevy. He listened. 4 days later I, on the other hand, told them I got a roadster body and frame and axles and tires! I have everything I need to get it rolling. Sadly it's a stock frame with a straight axel. I'm on a super duper tight budget, like, incredibly teeny tiny budget. Ok so I have like 50 bucks. I'm trying to save for a new frame and I have chosen a Riley automotive Double Z frame. What does the middle section do? I want my roadster to be low. Really low. But it's going to be my Daily driver once it's done, so I
    Need to go over speed bumps. Is there a way to get it really low but keep the straight axel? Also do you have any suggestions about what engine to put in it? I'm thinking flathead but I also don't want to be getting 10 MPG. I literally need everything for this car, the body is gutted, I have no idea if the brakes even work... I don't want my
    Roadster to be a rat rod. I don't want flat black paint or whitewalls. I want this to be a badass traditional hotrod. I want to chop the top and put on a nice canvas folding one. I have no idea how to do electrical stuff. Anyway if you guys have any extra stuff you have no use for I would love to use it! Thanks,
    --Derek

Slimegreeeeeen and seatex like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

what fun! we need more, bigger pictures

and you might want to consider keeping a traditional height, instead of the funky modern cartoon Z frame thing

dana barlow likes this.
  3. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

image.jpg image.jpg

VonKool13 and sko_ford like this.
  4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Like squirrel said, why not go with a more traditional ride height?Think GOW job from pre-war time. Remove some spring leaves, reverse eye on the springs and go with it. BTW what rear end is in it.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

On a very tight budget, daily driver, want MPG, and flathead? Hmmm. Might want to consider a different engine to solve many of these must-haves. A mild SBC and parts for it can be had pretty cheap no matter where you are in the country. My advice is to look in that direction. Just my opinion.

6. Go buy the Tardell and Bishop book How to build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod. You have the start of a cool ride.

patmanta and nelsoncoupe like this.
  7. Model T1

Model T1

You and dad need to sit down and look at some old hot rod type magazines and wander thru the HAMB. It's gonna take a little more than $50 to get a decent frame and running gear. But keep at it and hit the swap meets and small local car shows. Make friends. Lots of car friends. That car is the next best thing to a 32 Ford. Good luck.

K.L, chriseakin and badgascoupe like this.
  8. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

The rearend is a 1949 ford. I want a car like I've seen in my old Car Crafts from the 50's and 60's. Something stylish and slick. If I go the route that you guys are talking about I would probably go this height... image.jpg

K.L, patmanta, squirrel and 3 others like this.
  9. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

My dad wants no part of this. Haha he said "you got yourself into it. You're driving yourself out."

kiwijeff and Model T1 like this.
  10. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

What's in your truck? It looks really slick!

11. Model T1

Model T1

And don't give up until you are driving yourself out in the style of that #11 roadster. That's cool and shouldn't be too difficult or expensive.
    And I'll bet once you get started dad will be there to help.

Limey Kid likes this.
  12. I have to agree with the advice offered by the previous reply's,use the frame you have and build a traditional style car.

Use a inexpensive engine and transmission,,even a 4 cylinder engine could be made to work. HRP

dad-bud and sko_ford like this.
  13. 11 would be a good thing to shoot for. Hell that's what I'm shooting for on my next A. I built a double z'ed modified the first time around. It is fun & fast but not daily driver material. You will have to make some concessions to get what you want out of this roadster. A lot can be done with what you have there. Maybe find a donor car (4cyl t5mustang) & read a lot

Model T1 likes this.
  14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Congrats on the project. It will look best on a tradional A frame for sure. My A pickup was an old 50's hot rod. That style (like the roadster above) is going to be way cooler and won't go out of fashion. Read all you can here first before you do anything. Buy real Ford parts when you can, it makes a difference, you can tell when someone has just opened a catalog and built a car. I have an extra copy of the Tardel/Bishop book that someone gave me. I would be happy to pass it on to you. Don't post your address here but, send it to me in a Private Message and I'll send it your way.

Attached Files:

bengeltiger, Model T1 and sko_ford like this.
  15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's one of those old boring sbc's (mild 283) and a Saginaw 4-speed. :)

I had a roadster with a flattie but sold it. They ain't cheap to maintain unless you're an old school mechanic with lots of spares. Or, have a few great friends that fit this description.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

New member and on a limited budget, you'll have more time than money. Use the time to read and see, what the guys are doing here. PAY ATTENTION. Next, slow down. Make a REASONABLE list of what you want. So far, for your budget, your list is NOT reasonable.

BUT, if you don't change your list, go back to my first suggestion. PAY ATTENTION to what's being done here. You'll see and read tech, that will save you money and keep you from screwing up.

So, have a nice time with the build.

nelsoncoupe and sko_ford like this.
  17. belair

belair

Keep It Simple.

patmanta and nelsoncoupe like this.
  18. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Congrats an a neat project!
    I was advised/pushed by my dad to turn my roadster in my avatar at 16 because I would never get it done and regretted the hell out of it since. But I didn't have rodding friends then or the mighty HAMB!
    Like said before, read, save, read, ask, read, save, talk to old timers, read and then read and ask again. Stick with it, finish it when you can and then enjoy the hell out of it!
    People laugh when I tell them my current project is 5 years from completion, but doing it all myself and enjoying every bit of it.

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  19. Ford Mike likes this.
  20. X2 ^^^

21. 61falcon

61falcon

Small block chevy's are cheap and if built with economy in mind can get more than 10 mpg. put an overdrive trans in with a numerically low number rear gear like 2.73 or 3.00.

22. I took a TON of inspiration from Tuki's roadster while building mine. Believe it or not that car has a bone stock model A frame, not even a step in the rear. Just has a dropped axle up front and a reversed eye A spring in the rear. He helped me a ton as far as getting my car to sit right. These cars are super easy to build if you use all old ford parts, people don't believe it but using original old ford parts is far easier than using after market stuff.

Also keep in mind, you can build one of these cars for pennies on the dollar. You just really need to wait for good deals to come your way. It took 6 boat anchor flathead v8 engines for me to build a good one. Patients is the key, and it gives your car far more character than any rich guy with all new parts could ever hope to have.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to help you out.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  23. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

im with everyone else keep it straight rail with a sbc. read lots, plan always and think before you cut. Keep on posting progress pics.

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  24. looks like a solid body to work with! I just turned 19 a little over a week ago and am building a sedan, you should check it out. But anyway I know what building on a budget is :D I have $250 in my body, I picked up a bbc 454 off craigslist for $250 and am going to build my own frame. I'm going for a really low look like you said you wanted first, but if your going traditional instead nothing beats an original frame. I have hours and hours of internet and magazine reading time.. I know exactly (or so I think) what I need and I check craigslist and ebay for those things all the time. Great deals are out there, but you have to be ready to jump on them. For some of the older guys here they know that a 454 block that needs machine work miiiight be as cheap as 250, and I got the complete motor and the accessory drives. Flatheads are big $$$, I would go sbc, and auto trans, but if you cant live with two pedals then it will cost you a little more. I'll be following your progress and if you have any questions for me just ask man!

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  25. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I was 17 when I started building my T. It was worse off than your A. When I started it, my dad said its my project and he wasn't going to build it for me. He helped every once in a while. Keep focused and stick to your plan, meaning don't change directions for the build. Make a list, Set a few mile stones.

image.jpg

26. Whatever you do, don't let someone talk or trade you out of it. This is going to take a long time. The first thing I would do is find a place to store it out of the way of everyone else in the family that's safe from public eyesight and keep it covered up so that it doesn't look like a roadster. That will also keep you pumped while planning or saving for your next step. At your age there are more important priorities, but having this for inspiration is a great investment as well as a constructive thought process. Before spending any money, I would start getting a proper title and registration for it. Next, learn how to weld, get a welder & box the frame. I'd look for a 283.

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  27. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

You are leaps & bounds ahead of lot of folks who wish they had that pile of parts. Have patience and don't get discouraged. Like posted earlier, put together a plan on what you want to do, and talk to other hotrodders, go to swap meets, check out Ebay, Craigslist, etc, etc. Just don't get discouraged. This won't be a 3 month project. Try to spend a bit of time every day researching parts, or advice, or actually working on your project. Don't ever let yourself get discouraged. The local "pick & pull" should be a big help. Don't worry about "perfect" initially. Do what you must to get it on the road. You can always upgrade later when you've got the funds to do it. It will be a "work in progress", but that's what this hobby is all about. Best of luck to you, and please....post lots of pictures as your project progresses.

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  28. missysdad1

missysdad1

Here's a bit of greybeard advice:

1. Set a long-term goal (be able to see the completed car in your mind).

2. Put together a general plan on how to build it. (What components and/or services you'll need to get it done).

3. Set small, attainable weekly goals. (Take it one step at a time, with each step moving towards your goal.)

4. Don't be afraid to ask for help. (The HAMB is a great place to get info and leads on parts from HAMB members.)

5. If you are patient and resourceful much of what you'll need to build your roadster into a traditional car like the one pictured earlier in this thread can be obtained for free or at very, very low cost. (See step 4!)

There are lots of us who'd really like to see a young first-time rodder actually see his project to completion. Of the 5 basic steps listed above #4 is by far the most important.

Good luck!

seatex, T-DeWitt, dad-bud and 3 others like this.
  29. tudormike

tudormike

I just bought this book, it is a must have. A lot of good information.