Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "Hot Rod" By David Perry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

"Hot Rod" By David Perry

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Bought it when it came out...still displayed on the coffee table...a true classic

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. I have had that book ever since it was published,I thumbed through it again a couple of days ago. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Thanx for that Ryan.Good read.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for bring David back to the light. I first saw his work in Street Rodder magazine, it was the same time as I was trying to make my mark in photograpy/journalism. I was shooting 'pictures' but his photos were ART!. His work had a great influence on my own later work, his use of light and burning of the edges to surround and highlight, amazing. I was lucky enough to meet him at Bonneville and later at Paso, I am sure I babbled.
    I remember seeing him at Paso when he drove his roadster for the first time, at the park he posed with one of his friends, BFG and was quick enough to grab one shot, it was harder with film cameras back then.
    Years after his book came out, were also lucky enough to actually drive one of his subjects, the Brew 102 53 Ford.
    David, where are you now?

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

Great read,Ryan.In fact,you inspired me to buy another copy on Ebay just now.A perfect Fathers Day present.

7. That book was an eye opener. Epic. In the truest sense of the word.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Bought it when it came out. Still pull it out every once in a while for inspiration.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Who's gonna be the first to admit they have never seen or heard of the book?

10. While I can't admit I've never seen or heard of the book (i.e., I have a copy in my library), I do admit that I haven't looked at it for probably 10+ years ... So thanks for this "reminder" to dust it off and have another gander at David's wonderful images!

11. chigger

chigger

ok ill be the first, Ryan , thanks for making.me say that. Is there a prize for first???

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If I had an extra copy, I'd send it to ya... But I don't... So instead, shoot me a pm and I'll give ya a $20 gift card to the store.

Outback and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Always loved the pic of the blonde in her fire suit...

autobilly and Ryan like this.
  14. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Never seen them before, but I sure dig them. I'll be on the lookout for it...

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll admit I've never seen or heard of the book.
    I will check it out when I get a chance.
    Is it OK for me to say I never understood the sense of the slicked hair and rolled up jeans thing ?
    It all seemed sort of dumb to me to see the youngsters trying to imitate a period like that.
    But that's just me. :)
    I can certainly appreciate the cars and the art of the photography.

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Uh huh.....

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have a couple copies.
    Bought two when first out.
    One gets pulled out once in a while.
    The other will come out when the first one wears out.
    one of the things that got me was when I saw the picture of the hands checking the cuffs,
    I have almost the same exact tattoo in the same place..

18. banjorear

banjorear

Yeah, that's a good one. I've also re-lived the pict. of the dude enjoying a Miller after a hard and hot day in the garage. Love that pict. as well.

The one with the Betty sitting on the tire of her '33 is also boss.

19. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I haven't looked at my copy for years either, I'll have to pull it off the shelf when I get home tonight. It along with the original "Hot Rod Deluxe" made me realize that I wasn't the only young guy interested in traditional rods and customs.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... We were trying to imitate... And I say "we," cuz I am in one of those pics... It seems dumb now maybe, but when you are young you don't give a shit... I miss that.

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Found ya....!

22. Oh jeeze, another book I gotta buy now. Thanks Ryan. :)

jakespeed63 likes this.
  23. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

It's a great book, but I beg to differ that the traditional thing was just getting started in 1997. From my experience in Washington State it was alive and well before then. More like the mid to late 80s. Sure there was the stupid crybaby doll and billet crap that dominated at that time period, but traditional cars and like minded folks were around. In some ways I enjoyed it more then because it wasn't the "in" thing.

autobilly likes this.
  24. A lot of this is a lifestyle for many folks....much like the tuner crowd has their music and style, the new generation of " bikers" like their beards, red wing boots, and 70's style stoner rock, many of the traditional car people carry the " traditional style" into their lives. Look up Royalshifter...dude has a killer Kustom...and a killer period correct mid century home, complete with period correct furnishings.....different strokes for different folks..at the end of the day we are all " car folks"

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

When I started TJJ in '94 or so, I didn't know a single person into this stuff. I had been going to shows like the GNRS for years too... and while I saw some traditional stuff, it was few and far between - and I certainly didn't see anyone even close to my age (teens) into it.

It really wasn't until the later 90's that I began to meet people of my own age into the same stuff... I suspect it rolled over the country at different times - west coast, obviously, being first.

26. I'm as guilty as anyone else. I haven't seen the inside of this book in a number of years. I never did own my own copy of it...I just looked at other people's copies. Took care of that this morning and bought a copy on ebay. This morning there were two copies on ebay...now there are none. Guess I'm not the only one.

27. banjorear

banjorear

Perry's book can lead one into different directions. Somehow, someway while looking up D. Perry's photography I stumbled upon the name of a photographer from the '50's named Bruce Davidson. While following that lead, I found out Davidson was also a photographer who would follow different "outsiders", in particular, gang members.

Sometime in the early '90's, Davidson put out a book called Brooklyn Gang which is now out of print. I was lucky to score a copy of it at my local library's book sale for $1.00. When I look at Davidson's work I see Perry's and vice versa. It is amazing how much emotion, feeling, etc. a picture can convey without ever having to say a word.

Ryan likes this.
  28. catdad49

catdad49

Need to pick one up, maybe an early birthday present (Sept. is right around the corner)! Thanks

29. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The Blond was the daughter of a one time partner of the land speed Salt Circus 28 roadster. Burt Lesage (sorry about the spelling if it is wrong) who is a well know Western Artist akin to Remington.

30. Kinky6

Kinky6

Like a "Venus of the Salt Flats"

Funny, I pulled this book out and flipped through it about a month ago. K6