Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Corvette M/SP Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baron, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I think a darker blue for the coves would possibly look good, worth considering, maybe? Just a thought, although I know you don't need my help with this, you are doing quite well on your own, Keep up the great work, it is looking fabulous.

2. oldscout

oldscout
    from NE PA

IMG_0015.JPG The wifes 61, Jewel Blue with the white cove. Someday maybe she'll let me drive it instead of just working on it !

3. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Man O' man Baron, things are looking killer !! I like your color choice...silver cove and roof would be cool.I'd a left the fake vents being a 56/57 thing but that's just me. Wish I could a made the meet in Hudson today since it's 5 min. from the house. Had a family holiday thing today. Could a given you a garage tour. Brett

Baron likes this.
  4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always open to suggestions. Thanks.
    Thanks for the picture. I like the color, and looks very nice with the white coves. Your wife has good taste.
    Hi Brett. The place was packed. Sorry you couldn't make it. Would have loved to checked out your garage. Next time.

Little job I just completed. Although I had the cowl vent bracket for my Corvette, the handle and linkage was missing. After a little online searching, I found that these Corvette assembles sell for $400-$500.00 ! But after looking at the pictures, it looked a lot like the same set up in my 1947 Chevy Cab Over, just longer. To make a long story short, I bought one for a 48 Chevy pick up(truck left, Corvette right), combined the two together and it is all done for less than $35.00 and a couple hours time. Works for me. :)
    vent handle  Chevy truck and Corvette 1.JPG cowl vent handle completed  1.JPG

els likes this.
  5. I finally unearthed pictures of my '58 today. Yup.....I had no gray hair then. img009.jpg

els, quick85, Jungle Jalopy and 2 others like this.
  6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking Corvette Jim. Thanks for posting the pictures. Other than the hair color, you pretty much look the same today. Like it with the Mickey Thompson's on it. Ran those same wheels on a number of my Chevy's back in the late sixties-early seventies. They were a lot more affordable than the Cragar SS mags were.

els likes this.
  7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been picking away at the dash last few days. The new padded dash molding was not even close to lining up with the dash. So it was a good time to repair a number of cracks in the fiberglass and straighten out the top of the dash and get a better fit between the dash and molding. Not a fun job, but one that has to be done. The dash is in your face every time you drive the car. DASH 1-23 15 brs.jpg DASH 1-23 15 drs.jpg

els likes this.
  8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

what's happening???

els likes this.
  9. I have to second this. I think the silver coves would look great, but not the top.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Król

Król

Solid Jewel Blue!

11. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I have been in Florida for 10 days, and heading back home tonight(to the cold and snow). Looking forward to getting back on theCorvette when I get home. Hope to have the top of the dash ready for paint by the week-end.

els likes this.
  12. Steve Norton

Steve Norton

Baron Any update Ended up with a 502 for mine front axle is going in in the next few weeks

13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Steve. Finished the gas tank installation. Ran the wires to the sending unit and had to modify the filler neck to line up with the gas tank inlet (repro parts ....). Today I removed the dummy block, so now I can finish the engine compartment and I 'll be able to paint that and the dash the same time. Both will be semi - gloss black . Hopefully while doing this, I can remove front axle and get it to the platter to have it chromed. I'll call them 1st of the week and see what kind of turnaround time to get it back. One step at a time.
    Send ( or post ) some pictures of yours once the axle is in.

els likes this.
  14. Tony

Tony

This car is coming out fan-freakin-tastic!!!!
    I really dig solid axle Vette's, but would only own one if i built it with a solid axle up front too!!
    It's coming along super nice!! Well done!

And the Jewel Blue color is awesome. I have a friend here that restored an original Jewel blue 61 a handful of years ago. The color on that body style is stunning..

Tony

Baron likes this.
  15. Steve Norton

Steve Norton

Will do, picking up the 502 this week and still gathering parts.

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Tony.

My good friend Bryan Winter welded my axle pads on for me today. I can tig weld, but not like someone who does it everyday for a living. And Bill does such a nice job on his axles/welding I wanted the welds on the pads look as good. Once I got back to the shop, I polished it up, boxed it up and UPS 'ing it out to the chrome platters on Monday.
    I've been struggling with how high the frt end is. When I took the axle out, I came up with a better idea for my frt shackle mounts. This will bring the frt end of the car down another 1 3/4" - 1 7/8 ", so it will sit the same height as it did with the 4 inch I-beams. I'll post some pictures of the new mounts tomorrow night if I get them finished. Corvette axle ready for chrome 4.jpg Corvette axle ready for chrome 2.jpg .

els and enloe like this.
  17. Everything is looking great since I last checked in, going to be pretty bad ass.

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looking Good Baron. Would expect nothing less.

els likes this.
  19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Phil. I certainly hope so. Still along ways to go and winter is flying by( well...almost). Have you started on the new chassis for your Henry J ?
    Thanks Jim. Finished the front spring/shackle mounts today. Much happier with this set up over the last. The front end needed to down a bit more to get away from that "street freak" look. I think this will do it. And the nice thing is they bolt to the stock chassis to existing tapped bolt holes with 6 bolts.
    Corvette front shackle mount 3.jpg
    Corvette front shackle mount  1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    els likes this.
  20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Axle came back today and it looks good. It is what they call "racer's chrome". Not show quality, but certainly good looks good enough to go under the car. And the price was more than reasonable. I painted the front springs today and tomorrow I'll install the front end for the final time.
    Corvette front axle plated.jpg

els, enloe and loudbang like this.
  21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. elgringo71

elgringo71

It looks great Baron, I would love to see a side shot to see the stance with the new axle.

els and Baron like this.
  23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to push it out of the shop and get a couple pictures outdoors in the next couple weeks.
    I finished painting the front of the frame, finished filling holes in the engine compartment / firewall and have that ready for paint (semi-gloss black) and bolted on the frt shocks and front calipers. Nice to be assembling some of these parts for the final time. Plan on installing the motor next week-end if all goes well. Corvette frame painted  and shocks in a.jpg Corvette frame painted  and shocks in b.jpg Ready for paint.jpg

els, elgringo71 and enloe like this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

25. [​IMG]

kiwijeff and Baron like this.
  26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Phil. Hopefully they'll get you back 100%. The truck looks like it should be a lot of fun, to say the least. Killer motor !

els likes this.
  27. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have lost track of the number of hours I have spent on the dash to get it paint ready. Almost there.
    Corvette dash 3 28 15.jpg My new radiator arrived this week. Thanks to the advice of the Corvette owners here on the HAMB, I went with one from DeWitts. Top quality and it's a better fit than the stock one (and painted black will look OEM).
    57 Corvtte DeWitts Radiator rs.jpg

els likes this.
  28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First time out of the shop in almost 11 months. 57 Corvette 4 4 15 d.jpg 57 Corvette 4 4 15 b.jpg 57 Corvette 4 4 15 c.jpg

els, kiwijeff, enfieldjoe and 3 others like this.
  29. hoop

hoop

Love the stance. Looks perfect Great job Baron

Baron likes this.