Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 Ford Roadster Flathead Cad Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SAVAGE, Mar 20, 2006.

1. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Well I have been piecing this project together for the past couple of years. I have started mocking it up and would like to keep track of the build and show its progress on here and share ideas. Here is the first mockup staged

its pieced together from about 7 cars. A new set of deuce rails from Squeak bell.. Its a flathead cad.. Here it goes

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Here are a few photos from this past weekend. There will be some crazy mods on the body if all goes well..

Attached Files:

3. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

Nice project, Aaron. The motor looks good in there.

Hank

4. Looks like it'll be pretty sweet, what kinda body mods are we talkin' here??

5. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

6. Clark

Clark

I like the Caddy. Lookin good!
    Clark

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Lucky bastard. Caddy Flatheads look killer!!

8. ditto what he said.

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

So you got the wheels? Awesome.

10. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Cool Aaron...keep Us Posted.
    Where Did These Nice Edmunds Pieces Come From..are They From Hammond!!?? The Heads Look Like It..they Are Pretty Rare, The Way The Script Are Done
    Palle

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

WTF???? am I going crazy or is that a Coupe body in the rafters?

I'm confused??? why didn't you tell me you have that??

e.

12. Hakoval Traedz

Hakoval Traedz

Cool! Building headers will be fun!!!

13. COOL PROJECT....I can still remember one of those Flathead Caddys out at Pete Pistol's wrecking yard when I was in High school, I was into "regular Flatheads" at the time, but I WANTED that engine for something!!!! Really neat seeing what you are doing with it:cool: !!
    Skot

14. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

I need to wheel it outside and get some good photos from the side the set up the proporsions of the car. . I want to try to do a belly pan on it also

They were be ALOT of crazy hand made parts I hope and alot of cool speed parts I have collected

CAn't wait to do some headers too

IT may take some time. But I hope to keep you posted as it comes together

15. Aaron, that's looking like a good start. I'm just gathering together all my parts for my 27 roadster which will run a LaSalle 322. Have most of it sprawled across my shed floor minus the motor (at a mate's place) and the chassis rails (another mate's place).

What box you running behind the Cad? I'm going the easy route with the LaSalle box.

Is that an Edmunds intake?

And the heads.....original Cyclones?

16. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

The engine is an Very nice running one that was out or an old farm sprayer. Evel and I heard it run then pulled it out. I can't decide on a tranny yet. I have an adapter to a GM auto or 4 speed. I may run a lasalle in it. .
    When I pulled the head the other day it was mint inside. I sprayed some Gibbs oil and everything came loose no problem. .

The intake is an NOS Edmunds I found and just repolished. It had newpapers in it from 1948..

The Head are Edmunds Custom. I have a set of Original Cyclone heads on a race engine. I also have a new set of Cyclones I will run. I may run a supercharger on this engine. I have to see how its all going to look first

Aaron

17. Flatman

Flatman

Slick motor choice!! What's the displacement? Any internal mods going in?

Flatman

18. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Aaron, glad to see you finally putting that old irrigation motor to some good. Can't wait to see how your build goes.

19. Ahh, now I remember it from your post at the time. Mine was a lighting generator.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to fab an intake for mine. Check out the "NZ Hot Rod Blowout" thread for pics of a Cad-powered FED.

I bugged Kevin about the Cyclone heads last year but my circumstances have changed. They're on my wish list now....but I need to get the car build first.
    Would it be possible to get a better pic of the Edmunds heads?
    Keep us posted on progress. I'll try to get my stuff posted up here as soon as it looks presentable.

20. They're a 346.

The LaSalle version is 322.

21. Ratty

Ratty

Wow , I'll be watching this build closely , be starting my Caddy powered A soon too .

What sort of blower are you thinking of running ? I've got a VS-57 lined up I'm going to use if all goes well .

Sooooo jealous of that intake and heads ;-)

22. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Looks like a great start.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Aaron,
    This must be the shop that you talked about in Camarillo/Oxnard area.
    Wow! you got it looking pretty sharp. Man, Look @ all of those model A's;)
    Glad to see the car in the mock up stage,-nice! But ya got the wrong heads on it:eek::D .
    No really, Aaron has a very different set of highly modified Cyclone heads
    They are very nice! Ran Bonneville in the Early 50's. I had them here in the shop to give them a look over & I was impressed. Lots of work done to the CC as well as the domes for pop ups.
    Good luck Aaron with the A-roadster project, & don't sweat the Edmunds either one seems fine to me.
    Kevin

24. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I can't wait to see the pipes!! I've got a friend with a 42 that he is tired of and may throw my way, maybe someday.

25. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

[Don't worry Kevin. My Cyclones will go on this setup if all goes well.. This is just a mockup.. The Cyclone heads are far Superior to the Edmunds anyhow.. These Edmunds are Like new though..

I was looking over the Flathead Cad race engine last night also. That would be very cool in here. Once I get all the body tacked together and reinforced. I will know more on how the rest of this is coming together..

It would be killer the run the other engine with the front drive blower setup!!!

26. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

WEll I already see I am terrible at taking photos while I work and even worse at posting them

I think I have the cowl where I want it now. I cut out the firewall to fit the monster cad into it.. No pics of that yet. I hope to have the motor mounts done tommorow night.. Here are some shots of splitting the cowl bottom so it fits onto the frame right without a gap.

Attached Files:

27. Dirty2

Dirty2

Looking mighty fine .

28. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

That's so great! I will watch this one! Killer choice! I wanted to show you a photo of mine... again...

Attached Files:

29. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

well things are still going slow with the roadster g ot some parts in finally to start doing a torsion bar front end..

Also working on some killer Radious rods that will be like no others you have saw I hope..

Luke Dechurchio helped me out and Drilled my backing plates. .

Took a few hours. NO CNC work here!!!!

Attached Files:

30. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Thanks for an update! Looking good.