Register now to get rid of these ads!

roadster tonneau cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Psychobilly Boi, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

I've posted on this before and got some great replies and input. One question though, is it possible with a 28 A to not drill holes along the top of your dash to attatch the tonneau cover to?

Plus if anyone has some pics to pop in or some advice on how to sew it always interested. I came out of a cafe after buying a take away coffee (in ther for 2 mins max) and someone was in the car, sitting in the drivers seat playing with the steering wheel and changing gears. I need something I can quickly zip up to at least just make it less inviting for the crazies to get into.

Danny

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Yes!!

A friend of mine - not a HAMBer - runs an A tub with a carson top, and removeable side windows. The top of the windows slide into the underside of the carson top, using Aluminium tracks like what is used on caravan annexes. The side windows and top were made in Melbourne, by one the known Hot Rod trimmers.

You could use the same system to attach the front of the cover, with a zip section that unzips and allows you to sit in the car.

Give me a call if you want to discuss my idea further.

Cheers

3. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

Any kind of snap will require a hole unless you can Find an epoxy that will hold the bottom of the snap in place. Or your trimmer can sew in a hook and loop(velcro) to the front but youll have to use an industrial grade adhesive to stick the tape to your dash-probably not very good for paint. The only other thing I can think of is straps like on a car bra but it will probably look goofy.

4. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Now that I'm done laughing, try looking up a company called ROBBINS. They have been making tonneaus and tops since the 50's. Started in Brit cars, but they've since expanded their products.

The simplest design covers the cockpit of the car, has a pocket for the top half of the steering wheel AND a zipper down the center for driver access. Sadly tho, snaps will require small holes in your metal. If you do it just right, you should be able to hide them. I'd look at MG's and things. Remember most of them had after market covers. Old salt roadsters used RACING tonneaus as well. The idea is not to have to take/lose the damn thing as you fly down the road.:rolleyes: I'd just install an annoying alarm that set off anytime someone got into the car.

Guess it's time to give up coffee.:D

xxx

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

My old channeled deuce roadster has a tonneau, I should roll it out if the garage some time and take shots with the tonneau on, not this weekend though! G

Geoff aka whodaky

6. 97

I have neodymiun supermagnets sewn into the front edge of my tonneau , they might even work all the way around instead of studs and clips etc. .
    The other thing you could look at is the cunning system used by Holden to hold the tonneau on the Commodore utes, I haven't checked it out close up but I saw the guy next door fitting his one the other day , it had some sort of system which somehow invisibly attached onto the edge ofthe deck panel . Just seemed to zip off and back on, they may even be magnetic.

You can get a proximity alarm which gives the dickheads a verbal warning.
    Tells them to "step away or the alarm will activate". Combine it with a pager and a remote activated mace spray behind the steering wheel.
    Just remember to remove the mace before you drive....lol.
    I didn't have any of those sort of problems last time I was in Melbourne, all the street crazies left my Rent a Bomb Falcon alone. Then again I didn't see any Hot Rods driving around either, just Geoff's Murdochs Model As parked at his muffler shop .

7. scarylarry

scarylarry

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have mixed emotions about snaps. On one hand I've seen what they do to a truck bed after years of daily use but on the other hand that is what the old timers used. I'll probably go with the snaps but I plan to use a generous glob of silcone to fill any voids under the male part to keep out water. Someone may cuss me out in 25 years if they want to restore it but that's their problem. Besides how hard is it to fill a few trim holes anyway.

There is something about a roadster with a half tonneau still in place that appeals to me. I really want that look with or without the windshield. I'm afraid that the snaps add to that look.(for me)

9. CaseyK

CaseyK

Look at turn buckle fasteners. I think the trade name is called, "Common Sense Fasteners". They look cool and way better than your everyday snap. I think Mac's sells them for like .90 each.

Casey

10. I used snaps but will use common sense fasteners next time. Snaps can come loose in the wind.

11. flatoz

flatoz

BTTT

for this, as I am sitting back waiting for psycho to come up with the ideas on this one!

12. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Im having one made ( by a friend ) for my modified that will use the twist-loc type hold downs like on early porsche speedster......much like Brandy described it will have the zip out driver side and pocket for steering.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You presumably already have snaps around the side and back, making the windshield/dash area the concern...how about making the font edge of the tonneau so that it passes under the swing-out portion of the windshield, with a sewn roll of fabric so it can't pull back through? You'd swing shield up slightly, pass tonneau edge through, and close windshield with roll/thickened part trapped by lower edge, then snappitdown around side and back of cockpit. You'd need to do a bit of holding and tugging when unzipping just the driver's side.

14. flatoz

flatoz

my idea was the magnets like bikers use on the tank bags. seeing as it holds no weight they should be ok, anyone see any issues?

15. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Yeah, once he's got this condom on, where's he gunna put his Espresso?:D

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had an idea a while back. My Rocky boots hav the lace holders (?) that they just simply loop over to hold them. What about those mounted to the body and lace that sucker on there through grommets in the cover?

17. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

And how my lil butter cup do you intend to hold those loops onto the body of the car WITHOUT putting holes in it?

That's a wonderful idea, but now you need to figure out how to anchor them to the car.

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Duh....I have a drill press and a roll of duct tape!! The tape is paint-to-match
    but how 'spensive can flat black Krylon be?

19. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Oh my god! Your are So hot! If I wasn't already taken by my ego, I'd drive up and down your street everynight!:D

But Danny's is painted..............gold chainer!:p

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Uh...it's 28 degrees outside and I gotta go out there. Not hot!!

21. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Let me rephrase that HOT AS IN SEXY. :D Guess you won't be wearin your suspenders? Damn there goes tonights drive by.:(

22. Hey Mate,

Love to see them. The tonneau idea is one I've had floating in the back of my mind for a while. Keep the rain and the wierdo's out!

Dan

23. Brandy!

Your too much!

Danny

24. Hey Guys,

The magnet idea sounds cool i'll have to look into it. Wondering if it will hold the fabric with enough force that it can be stretched taut. The last thing I want is a rustling flapping tonneau as think I'll do alot of driving with the passenger side on.

Danny

25. Here are some I have seen before here on the HAMB, the really look the BOMB.

Danny

Attached Files:

26. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I'm too much? Honey you ain't ever held me in your hands to make that statement.!:D
    Magnets will make for a good stationary deal, but I'd be REAL leary driving with them. If one lets go, you could end up losing the whole shabang on the road OR having a chunk of metal FLAPPING against your paint. Driving with the passenger side on alot? Guess that means you won't be dating much in your future.:D
    I haven't heard DA BOMB since I was 15 and Freshmeat in high school.......ahhhhh memories.:rolleyes:
    Stick with the common sense toggles. Small holes are easily repaired vs the damage some schmoe can cause ya.
    xxx

Oh and don't forget your fly.;) :D

27. Hey,

Not at all, she'll just be too busy to notice the tonneua banging on the top of her head ;)

Danny

28. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Excuse me bitch, but only one perv per thread............and I'm waiting for Flathead Pete in his suspenders.;) :D

cactus1 likes this.
  29. Dan,

Been thinking how to do this myself, as I like the look of a tonneau. Was thinking along the lines of something that locks (hooks) over the panel below the screen. On mine the screen still has spme movement to swing up from the base and a rubber seal, all of which will hide the brackets..

30. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Fuck me - cup holders in a hot rod....

Danny you'd be in Expresso heaven ;)