Register now to get rid of these ads!

roadster tonneau cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Psychobilly Boi, Nov 21, 2005.

1. hey stove,

I was going to say, i could drive around with my double-soy-mocha-skinny-cino au lau and not spill it.

tre chic.

danny

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You drink that horseshit thru a bendy straw too?:rolleyes:

hahahaha!

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Straw, foam, nose, Snort? HhhMmmm

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm back. It's 19 degrees this morning and My suspenders chafed my frostbitten body parts.

5. My father had his tonneau made by a boat guy and it snaps across the back using the same holes as his soft top, the front goes up over the windshield. He has wipers and door handles so the tonneau attaches with small velcro flaps through those. It's simple and looks really good. Can't zip it down the middle and drive with it though.

BTW, if you've got unwanted assholes sitting in your car you don't need a tonneau, you need a Glock.

6. I had a tonneau that covered the back seat of may Corvair Conv. I used the top boot snaps to hold it on around the back, but I didn't want it to go any futher forward than the backs of the front seats. I sewed in pieces of thick, but flexible nylon plastic sheet into the edges that would be over the rear windows when they rolled down. I left big flaps sticking out of the hem that covered where the rear side windows are when rolled down. I shoved the flap between the glass and the fuzzies. Then I heated and bent the nylon so that the vinyl would cover the rear window slots and leave a straight line.

Then I had a 3/4" sheet of plywood that spanned the distance from just behind the door jamb and shaped to fit tight. It was a about 12" tall. I shapped the top to have 2 humps behind each seat. Then I stretched the vinyl and stapled it underneath where it couldn't be seen.

I was thinking that if you had something rigid (A piece of square 1" x 1" bent to fit, or plywood cut to size, maybe hinged so the whole mess can fit in the "boot") that fit around the inside of your passenger compartment behind the door jambs, maybe clamped on (no holes), you could use the nylon sheet to have the excess flap cover the edge and then you wouldn't have any permanent holes (put some buttons on ther outside for effect). Bungee cords with nylon hooks sewn into the hem from the doorjambs to the WS posts could span that distance. (of you are a stickler for authenticity, maybe a screen door spring with leather straps could be inside those hems)

Then up front you could have a piece of vinyl with a brass zipper on it sticking up from behind the top of the dash, held in by the dash (no holes). Then you could zip it up when you park it. or just another bungee in the hem from WS post to WS post.

No holes drilled

7. Hi mate,

I had though of that, using elestic and basically fastening the front to each winshield post. I think your idea of usuing leather is great as it will match the leather tie downs on my (one day) hood top.

I think basically I need to get into the shed and just get McGuyer on its ass.

Dan

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Another REALLY fantastic idea is to wonder the local craft or fabric store. You'd be amazed at what you come up with. Maybe try a commercial upholstery supply shop.

I always thought McGuvyer was sexy.:D

xxx

9. uhh... I'm not seeing it. Now that Dave Hasselhoff!

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

No way! A man who can take a twisty tie, half a straw and chewing gum to create an explosive is SO my kinda man.:D Makes me wonder what he could do with a chevy roadster body, a ford frame and a plymouth inline 6?

Pete, I got something to warm up those frosty parts.;)

xxx

11. I dont mind car related post hijacking but take your kissy kissy cross dressing fueled flirtations eslewhere. I'm trying to eat and I think I vomited in my mouth a little bit.

Danny

12. Awww kids,

After speaking to Brandy it seems that my reply may have come off like I was wearing cranky pants and got up on the wrong side of the bed. I should have added more :D :D :D to the orginal post. There was nothing but tongue in cheek banter and love for all behind it.

I secrelty love crossdressing hijacks...

xx
    Danny

13. LOL... when you're past those pinche cappauchinos, get hold of Nimrod here on the HAMB. He came up with a real clean method that uses spring-loaded bats to keep the tonneau taut without snaps. Check it out.

Attached Files:

14. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Wow that's nice lookin! SEE DANNY! Heed my advice grumpy and guess what you get? A clean, tasteful answer to your *ahem* coffee SIPPING woes.:D

xxx

15. Hey man,

Thanks, i'll send him a PM for sure. Its a very very nice way of doing things.

Just for the record I wasnt grumpy, you just cant see me smiling from behind my computer!!!!

Dan

16. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

[​IMG]

17. magoo

magoo

Bend up a handfull of small L shaped pieces of stainless and attach domes to these.You then slip the other end of the L under the windsreen rubber.You can clip your tonneau on and off with no problem.When you decide you dont want a tonneau any more for some reason,you can remove the brackets and domes without leaving any holes

18. That my friend, is pure fucking gold. I love it!!! :D

Danny