Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
chstitans42

Default Oil Filter O-Ring Blowing out on my 283 Chevy V8

As the title says, when I start my 1958 Belair, it runs for about 2 seconds and the oil filter gasket blows out. It has been converted to a spin on style oil filter by one of the previous owners. My questions are:

1. Is it worth buying another oil filter adapter kit and if so, which one?
2. Could anything else be causing suck high crank case pressure?

The car has been sitting for at least twenty years. I am tired of making quart-sized rivers of oil down my driveway, especially because it is new oil running all over the ground.
Thanks!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
cbillelder
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Oil Filter O-Ring Blowing out on my 283 Chevy V8

Years ago, I had the same thing happening to my Jeep with a Buick V-6 motor. Turns out the oil pump pressure relief valve consisted of a cup in a blind hole with a spring behind it. Over time, oil filled up the area behind the cup, preventing it from moving back to relieve the pressure because of a hydraulic lock.
The remedy in my case was replacing the cup with an updated one that had a relief hole drilled in the side, so the hydraulic lock couldn't happen.
I presume the car was running ok twenty years ago with this filter adapter?
I would first check the adapter to see that the oil can get out of the filter (no blockage), and if that doesn't pan out, then check into the pump relief valve to see if you have the same problem I had.
Good luck with your problem.
Bill
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Hooptologist
Grenade Inspector

I would take the adapter off and check for any obstructions. I used to work on heavy trucks and equipment, we had a dump trailer that would occasionally blow the o ring when it was lowered dumping 15-20 gallons of oil everwhere. It finally blew the housing apart and I found part of a check valve blocking the return port. Basically it was a washer with a 1/4 hole blocking a 1" port.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
D-man313
Alliance Member

Is the old filter gasket still on the motor? Anything on the mounting surface that the filter wont seal tight? Guys on here have said before that, if the old gasket stays on the motor that this will happen.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-man313 View Post
Is the old filter gasket still on the motor? Anything on the mounting surface that the filter wont seal tight? Guys on here have said before that, if the old gasket stays on the motor that this will happen.
No I made sure the gasket was clean. I tried it once with the larger old filter that was on it (It was new ten years ago) and then again with a brand new one. Surface was as clean as it could be.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
tedley

Quote:
Happened to me. Changed the filter went for a ride and was fine. Blew out on start up next day.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Rusty O'Toole
Old School HAMBer

Faulty pressure relief valve. Could be stuck with gum and sludge, maybe the last guy had it apart when he put the filter adapter on and got the parts mixed up. Everything has to be in the right order. Your pump will develop enough pressure to blow the filter wide open without the relief valve.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
ChilledironGarage
FNG

Chstitans42,
Do you know if you have a high volume/pressure oil pump because if you do you might need to run a race or hp oil filter. Some pumps move more gpm of oil than the filter can handle and if you don't have a oil bypass at the filter you may be starving the engine of oil and it may have caused the gasket to blow out so you may want to check and see if the adapter has a bypass built in if not you should find a filter that has one built in to help protect your engine if something does become clogged. If your engine takes the PH5 type filter 13/16"-16 threads you may want to try a HP4 filter. If it takes the early style filter 3/4"-16 threads it is a lot easier to find a filter with a bypass because that is typically a ford filter and they ran the bypass in the filter not the block.

Good Luck
Chilled Iron Garage
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
rramjet

Look very carefully to ensure there isn't another gasket on the surface. Had it happen to me and it was difficult to tell the old gasket was there without a real close inspection. Otherwise I would suspect the Pressure relief valve or plugged oil passage as well.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty O'Toole View Post
Faulty pressure relief valve. Could be stuck with gum and sludge, maybe the last guy had it apart when he put the filter adapter on and got the parts mixed up. Everything has to be in the right order. Your pump will develop enough pressure to blow the filter wide open without the relief valve.
I will be pulling it apart soon and taking a look at all of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilledironGarage View Post
Chstitans42,
Do you know if you have a high volume/pressure oil pump because if you do you might need to run a race or hp oil filter. Some pumps move more gpm of oil than the filter can handle and if you don't have a oil bypass at the filter you may be starving the engine of oil and it may have caused the gasket to blow out so you may want to check and see if the adapter has a bypass built in if not you should find a filter that has one built in to help protect your engine if something does become clogged. If your engine takes the PH5 type filter 13/16"-16 threads you may want to try a HP4 filter. If it takes the early style filter 3/4"-16 threads it is a lot easier to find a filter with a bypass because that is typically a ford filter and they ran the bypass in the filter not the block.

Good Luck
Chilled Iron Garage
The car has been sitting since 1970, SO I don't think it is likely it has a high volume pump, I am assuming it is stock since the rest of the car is.
As for maybe it needs a Ford filter that might be the case. If the conversion was really done in the 60's I have heard that was all there was to do the upgrade with.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Fuzzy Knight

Check valve is stuck. Go get a HP1 Fram filter and try that they are good to 120lbs. That should cause the check valve to break loose
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero, Original factory V8 - 4 speed, Factory Tri Power.
If it's Bitchin it don't have to be Perfect !!!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Knight View Post
Check valve is stuck. Go get a HP1 Fram filter and try that they are good to 120lbs. That should cause the check valve to break loose
How hard is the check valve to replace? Where is it located? Do they look similar to the stock spin on oil filters?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #13
33sporttruck
Grenade Inspector

SBC , I would say that the oil pump relief (check) valve was stuck. I had my 400 in the forth car and for some dumb reason I installed a hardly used HV pump that had a lot of shelf life on it. BOOM !!! It puked the o-ring and split the Fram filter wide open twice.

Quick fix was to install a new Melling Oil Pump.................... Jeff
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
Lobucrod
Alliance Member

So how much oil pressure is the pump putting out when this happens?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
Mart

My wife's off topic bmw did this, the oil pressure relief valve was stuck.

I screwed a mechanical oil pressure gauge straight in and it went off the scale after fireup hence the burst filter.

It would be worth trying a mech gauge direct into the oil gallery.

Oh yeah, once I fixed it the engine felt more powerful and freer revving. The oil pump must have been sapping a lot of power running at max pressure all the time.

Mart.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
Unclee

That spin-on adapter is hiding the by-pass. Unbolt the adapter and under it you will find another aluminum casting and a square cut o-ring. That is the factory oil filter by-pass. However, that's probably not your problem. I do recall that the early spin-on adapters used a Ford filter. Maybe that's all it is. I'd sure look at that before I pulled the pan.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #17
sunbeam

What filter does it take Some used Ford style and some used Chevy style. Ford filters have a built in bypass valve 3/4 threads. Chevy style the bypass is in the adapter could be pluged13/16 thread.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
Bigchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobucrod View Post
So how much oil pressure is the pump putting out when this happens?
Knowing this will help with the guessing games and keyboard diagnostics.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
Rocky
Classified Editor

In 1974 I had a killer 57 belair with a hi-po 350 HP 327. I based the engine on an early block with a cannister filter and I used a brand new Rocket brand filter adapter.
I also used a high pressure oil pump. After driving the car for about 2 months I warmed the engine, jumped in it and went screaming down my street, bangin gears in the muncie when I noticed the engine tone had changed. Looked down to see the oil pressure was a zero!
I shut it off immediately but it was too late. The engine had dumped all the engine oil on the street and the bearings were spun. I dragged it home and started looking for the leak. Turned out the Rocket oil filter adapter had cracked. I won't use another Rocket brand adapter on any chevy engine I build in the future.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
What filter does it take Some used Ford style and some used Chevy style. Ford filters have a built in bypass valve 3/4 threads. Chevy style the bypass is in the adapter could be pluged13/16 thread.
Well the oil filters that attach are the ones that are for Chevys. Does that mean the ford threads are different and won't work thus eliminating this option ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclee View Post
That spin-on adapter is hiding the by-pass. Unbolt the adapter and under it you will find another aluminum casting and a square cut o-ring. That is the factory oil filter by-pass. However, that's probably not your problem. I do recall that the early spin-on adapters used a Ford filter. Maybe that's all it is. I'd sure look at that before I pulled the pan.
My next task will be to remove the adapter and see what I can see underneath it. Any tips on cleaning all this crap out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
In 1974 I had a killer 57 belair with a hi-po 350 HP 327. I based the engine on an early block with a cannister filter and I used a brand new Rocket brand filter adapter.
I also used a high pressure oil pump. After driving the car for about 2 months I warmed the engine, jumped in it and went screaming down my street, bangin gears in the muncie when I noticed the engine tone had changed. Looked down to see the oil pressure was a zero!
I shut it off immediately but it was too late. The engine had dumped all the engine oil on the street and the bearings were spun. I dragged it home and started looking for the leak. Turned out the Rocket oil filter adapter had cracked. I won't use another Rocket brand adapter on any chevy engine I build in the future.
This is what scares me. I really hope this won't happen down the line
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
dann57
Alliance Member

I had the same issue with a 283 years ago on mine oil pessure was buried in the guage ( it went to 80 )the problem was the plunger in the oil pump was stuck, the motor had sit quite a while I took the oil pump apart replaced spring with a new one , but I had to use a punch to get the plunger out. worked great after that. Do you have a oil pressure gauge hooked up ? What kind of pressure is it running ?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
models916
Grenade Inspector

Has to be the pump. Bypass opens long before the gasket will blow. Change the pump or remove and clean the spring.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
Mart

^^ last 2 posts this is what I had to do to my wife's BMW.

Mart
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #24
xix32
Grenade Inspector

post # 21 from dann57 is correct. I had the same thing happen to a `70 chevy 350 that sat for many years without running. just like yours mine blew out the filter seal.
and pegged the oil pressure gage.
you'll have to drop the oil pan, take out the oil pump, and dissasemble it to get at the stuck pressure relief valve. tap it out, maybe scrape out the bore a little, some marvel mystery oil, and you'll be back in business.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclee View Post
I've seen more than one of those engines that had the adapter where who ever installed the adapter didn't put the relief valve back in behind the adapter and the adapter got sprung and caused the gasket to blow in the process. Make sure that the relief valve is there and functional and make sure that the adapter isn't cracked.
Most of those adapters used a Ford spin on filter rather than a Chevy spin on filter.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #26
Mart

Unless I'm mistaken, the bypass valve is there in case the filter gets totally blocked, allowing oil to flow (even though unfiltered). It's the pressure relief valve that is the culprit in this case (I think) and sounds like it's part of the oil pump on a Chevy. (I'm not a Chevy guy).

Mart.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
yellow wagon

Check to see if the lower bellhousing bolt closest to the oil filter protrudes into the filter area. If it does, I bet the bolt length is a hair too long, nicks the o ring and causes it to fail very quickly. Seen this happen a bunch of times. Shorten the length of the bolt 2 threads, reinstall bolt, new oring and adapter and away you go
Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
chstitans42

I will be pulling the adapter and taking pics for you guys to see today. Hopefully we can figure out together the problem
Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
chstitans42

Got the oil filter adapter off, and the surfaces/gaskets look pretty good. It says made in the usa and has a part number of 5573842. It looks like it has a spring that goes from the inside of the adapter to the outside. is this the part that can be stuck? Other than that, there is nothing on the engine block
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #30
chstitans42

So I disassembled the oil filter adapter and the check valve inside move when I push on it with my pinky.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #31
ConceptVehicleDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramjet View Post
Look very carefully to ensure there isn't another gasket on the surface. Had it happen to me and it was difficult to tell the old gasket was there without a real close inspection. Otherwise I would suspect the Pressure relief valve or plugged oil passage as well.
My ol' lady's ex lost a 302 in a 67 mustang coupe this way^^^

...I'm not ashamed to say that it got me a free 1967 Mustang coupe for my daughter!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
SimonSez

Ok - just to clarify, there are two valves that have been mentioned so far in the thread.

The first is the oil filter bypass valve.

This is part of the oil filter adaptor and bolts on where the oil filter goes. It will open if the oil filter gets plugged so the engine doesn't starve of oil.

By the sound of your post, this is moving freely so is probably ok.

The second valve is the oil pressure relief valve. This is part of the oil pump and this valve limits the amount of pressure that the oil pump puts out. They are normally set to around 65 psi.

If this valve is stuck closed, the pump will put out way more than that and will overpower the bypass valve and the excess pressure will blow the oil filter gasket out.

You can confirm this by putting an oil pressure gauge on the engine. There is a threaded outlet near the distributor where the idiot light sender attaches - if you put a mechanical gauge in there you will see what is going on.

If there is too much pressure you will have to pull the pan and check the oil pump out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chstitans42 View Post
So I disassembled the oil filter adapter and the check valve inside move when I push on it with my pinky.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #33
chstitans42

SimonSez
Thanks for the clarification in your post. Since my oil filter bypass valve is free, does that pretty much mean a new oil pump is in order? I will be looking into checking the oil pressure tomorrow. Interesting, I have never heard of an old car having too much oil pressure. Learning everyday!

Last edited by chstitans42; 03-14-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
V4F

oil pressure is a "need to know" !!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
stillrunners
Alliance Member

my o/t big block 402 truck sat from 1978 until 2007....it wasn't stuck so we put a little gas in it after cleaning the points and fired it up....keept blowing the filter - every Chevy guy I knew checked it out - we checked the pressure plug even ran it straight threw like some racers due...it never knocked for those first moments - even the light went out before it blew....figured maybe a cam bearing slipped or something enough to block a passage....just pulled the motor and dropped a 454 in...
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillrunners View Post
my o/t big block 402 truck sat from 1978 until 2007....it wasn't stuck so we put a little gas in it after cleaning the points and fired it up....keept blowing the filter - every Chevy guy I knew checked it out - we checked the pressure plug even ran it straight threw like some racers due...it never knocked for those first moments - even the light went out before it blew....figured maybe a cam bearing slipped or something enough to block a passage....just pulled the motor and dropped a 454 in...
Hmmm well I hope that isn't my problem. I would like to avoid an engine swap if at all possible. We will see what happens tomorrow!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #37
stillrunners
Alliance Member

me to - on dropping the pan to check...after reading....just new my 454 was good and was eager to swap it out....good luck...
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #38
chstitans42

Old 03-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #39
chstitans42

Plugged in the oil pressure gauge, and the needle went way past 100, so the oil pan will be dropped and the oil pump replaced.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #40
Rusty O'Toole
Old School HAMBer

You don't have to replace the pump, it is fine. Just take out the relief valve plunger, clean the gum and sludge off it, and put it back. Be careful to get the plunger, spring etc back in the same order. Double check with your manual in case it was put in wrong some time in the past.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #41
chstitans42

Dropped the pump today, the oil pressure relief valve was all gummed up. I have never seen so much sludge in an engine
Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #42
ConceptVehicleDesign

Sweet! Glad you got it handled!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #43
road_toad666
FNG

Short of an obstruction at your adaptor, it does sound like your bypass valve is stuck. You may want to try replacing a quart of your oil with some Marvel mystery oil, it will work wonder for unsticking congealed oil in engines that have been sitting for an eternity.

I have a Dodge military truck, 89 model, with only 35k miles. It had a lifter that was stuck, and ticking away. The truck was not lacking oil pressure, so it was obviously a gunked up lifter from old oil, and lack of use. I tried the old trick of rapping on the lifter with the valve cover off, overwhelming the lifter with oil pressure, to no avail. I put a quart of Marvel in the crankcase, and fired it up. I let it idle for 5 minutes, and that lifter that was stuck for years got quieter and quieter over the course of several minutes, and finally shut up completely. It has been a year now, and not a peep out of it since.

Just my 2 cents, it works well in oil and fuel systems that have been stored for long periods improperly. It is harmless and much cheaper and far easier than dropping your pan to deal with a stuck bypass valve, which on SBC is located in the oil pump housing itself.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #44
33sporttruck
Grenade Inspector

The Guys are right on about the Oil Pump Relief Valve. You can Clean it up and reassemble. The only reasons that I replace the pump in my 400 SBC was that I worked in an auto parts store, the price was discounted and I was able to keep that 400 running from 1977 to 2010. Each time the 400 was changed to a different car, it was torn down, clearances were checked, then put back together with Felpro Gaskets. That particular 400 now lives in a 51 Chevy 2-door H-Top and is still alive and kicking ASS !!! I had the pleasure of hearing it run in 2012......... Jeff
Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #45
fiftyv8
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

X2, I had a similar experience where when removing the old filter the ring stuck to the adapter, I did not notice that situation with oil everywhere.
As soon as I put the replacement filter on and started the engine it blow oil out immediately.

Since I had 2 rings fitted in.

I was running a high volume pump.

Pulled the stuck ring out and all was well there after...

Last edited by fiftyv8; 03-17-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #46
Mart

Glad you were able to home in on the problem without too much messing about.

Mart.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #47
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Glad you were able to home in on the problem without too much messing about.

Mart.
It was a whole day of messing about, but I think it is finally done. The engine had to be lifted up in order to drop the pan, where we had to disconnect some of the steering gear in order to get the jack under the crankshaft pully. Ill be posting more vids soon on my resto thread!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #48
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_toad666 View Post
Short of an obstruction at your adaptor, it does sound like your bypass valve is stuck. You may want to try replacing a quart of your oil with some Marvel mystery oil, it will work wonder for unsticking congealed oil in engines that have been sitting for an eternity.

I have a Dodge military truck, 89 model, with only 35k miles. It had a lifter that was stuck, and ticking away. The truck was not lacking oil pressure, so it was obviously a gunked up lifter from old oil, and lack of use. I tried the old trick of rapping on the lifter with the valve cover off, overwhelming the lifter with oil pressure, to no avail. I put a quart of Marvel in the crankcase, and fired it up. I let it idle for 5 minutes, and that lifter that was stuck for years got quieter and quieter over the course of several minutes, and finally shut up completely. It has been a year now, and not a peep out of it since.

Just my 2 cents, it works well in oil and fuel systems that have been stored for long periods improperly. It is harmless and much cheaper and far easier than dropping your pan to deal with a stuck bypass valve, which on SBC is located in the oil pump housing itself.
I am assuming you then drained the oil after running the marvel mystery oil in it for those five mins correct?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #49
Tnomoldw

How bad was the sluge in the pan and the crankcase? If you want to add Marvel Mystery Oil , I'm sure you can run it till next oil change , Read the directions on the can,
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #50
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnomoldw View Post
How bad was the sluge in the pan and the crankcase? If you want to add Marvel Mystery Oil , I'm sure you can run it till next oil change , Read the directions on the can,
About a quarter inch of sludge in the pan. I guarantee I was the first to ever remove that pan. I will be posting a video about it in my resto thread
Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #51
Diavolo

Good luck with it, I'm watching intently.

I've read the Kreen posts on another forum and was impressed but MMO is the most close second and, for what you are doing, should be more appropriate. I'm continually amazed at what can run well after decades of abuse and what will s(*& the bed if one little thing is just slightly our of place.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #52
eugene vik
Alliance Member

fix the pump
then put the metal canister on after changing back to the original adapter

run the metal canisters on stock car and they are able to handle more presure than stock spin on

the metal canister should have been original equipment
Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #53
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene vik View Post
fix the pump
then put the metal canister on after changing back to the original adapter

run the metal canisters on stock car and they are able to handle more presure than stock spin on

the metal canister should have been original equipment
I heard they are messy when it comes to an oil change
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #54
henryj1951

Cool Re: Oil Filter O-Ring Blowing out on my 283 Chevy V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chstitans42 View Post
I heard they are messy when it comes to an oil change
good info right there
thats what i'd do

and cragar super trick wheels
Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #55
Black_Sheep

Congratulations, once you get the kinks worked out you will be cruising in style. My best friend back in high school picked up a '58 Bel Air 4 door from a farm in northern Iowa. It was faded "salmon" over white with a salmon and maroon interior, 348 and a cast iron Powerglide. We tore up the streets with that thing.

Nearly every old car I've worked on has had rusty brake fluid throughout the system. If it was my car I would go through the brakes, including new wheel cylinders, hoses and master cylinder. You may end up replacing a few hard lines too, depending how things come apart. If you are serious about the disc swap now would be a great time to do it. Properly working 4 wheel drums will work too, you just have to drive it like an old car and allow for a little extra stopping distance.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #56
chstitans42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Congratulations, once you get the kinks worked out you will be cruising in style. My best friend back in high school picked up a '58 Bel Air 4 door from a farm in northern Iowa. It was faded "salmon" over white with a salmon and maroon interior, 348 and a cast iron Powerglide. We tore up the streets with that thing.

Nearly every old car I've worked on has had rusty brake fluid throughout the system. If it was my car I would go through the brakes, including new wheel cylinders, hoses and master cylinder. You may end up replacing a few hard lines too, depending how things come apart. If you are serious about the disc swap now would be a great time to do it. Properly working 4 wheel drums will work too, you just have to drive it like an old car and allow for a little extra stopping distance.
i think that the plan is I will be running the 4 wheel drums, just adding power assist to them. I figure I will be cruising this old girl around, and when I feel the need for speed I will be driving around my 1973 Big Block Convertible Corvette.