Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
SCOTT GILLEN

Default The Road To The GNRS 2014

Well, its time to sit and think about what to build to make it to the 2014 GNRS.....First it must be a roadster. I have been thinking about building a car that can get in there and at least make it into the top 5.....Tall order and I will try my best. Open to all comments and any help you can give.

Start with a great Builder
Start with a great car
Start with a great concept
Use a ARDUN and Hailabrand

Keep the same builder finish the build. I am starting with a 1933 ford truck......lets start. The floor is open. We can start with this and yes we will tear this down and rebuild it.

Scott

Last edited by SCOTT GILLEN; 12-06-2013 at 06:55 AM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
ryno
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: The Road To The GNRS 2014

so what are you asking? you need a builder to build you a car to compete for the gnrs in just one year?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
SCOTT GILLEN

Sure if thats what it takes, can it be done.? Can you win, can you get close to the top 5 pics?

Scott
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
pwschuh

Every great build seems to start with a great vision. You appear to be shopping around for other people's ideas for a vision?

What do YOU want your truck to be? Or are you just looking to build an AMBR competitor just to be part of the GNRS experience?

I'm a little confused.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
independentcustoms

Anything is possible with the right amount of money.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
pastlane

It's only money, how much ya got? As for getting a late start call Andy (thunderbirdesq) as he builds killer cars from seemingly nothing and gets them done in a couple of months.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
SCOTT GILLEN

Well, I have a great Vision, I just thought it nice to open the floor for thoughts and ideas. It's just a topic to start a conversation. I will build something as you might see if you see the other cars I have built, just opening the floor to your thoughts.....Be nice to see a car at the show that you might say....Hey that was my idea and he used it.....Nice.

Scott
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
bubba67

Why not have Rudy do it ?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
ryno
Old School HAMBer

not to be a dick, but i still am not getting what your asking for?

i think I've got 2 things outta this so far, you'd like to talk about everyone's ideas and dreams to build a car, and you can build it?

even with unlimited budget, i still don't see getting a big time builder that competes on this level to build and finish you a car in less then 1 year.

again not being difficult here, maybe its too early and i'm just not reading or comprehending what your asking for .
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
SCOTT GILLEN

He just might be the one....BUt he is finishing my 33 for next year, he might not have the time to do both. He wants the 33 done for the next year show.......That 33 cannot be in the Roadster part because it's a coupe.....As for the rest above, it's a forum and open to conversation.....Gets some coffee in you and come back.....Not to debate just an open conversation.....What to build what to do and who to build it in the time allowed.

Scott
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

I think what Scott's doing here is using the forum to gain momentum as well as track his thoughts and the process. We already know after seeing his '33 he's building that he's got a good eye for this. HOWEVER, it's nice to get a conversation going to bounce ideas off of right? I mean I talk to a bunch of my friends about what I'm building and even though in the end I will probably not follow any of their ideas, it's nice to get some motivation thru conversation. I think we all do that.

Now this being done inside one year, what I would be searching to do is look for a builder who really could use the exposure and platform to build his career. Someone that doesn't have a full plate of projects in the shop but has a full plate of talent waiting to be utilized. That's the kind of person that could get it done inside of a year and the kind of person that would be hungry enough to do it.

So much unrecognized talent out there...... so much. My friend Damon Detmer @ Moon lite Metal is a prime example. He's honestly one of best metal wizards the world has ever known. He's worked on Bonneville cars, TRJ cars, Nascars and others but you perhaps wouldn't know his name right off the bat (unless your in the industry perhaps). He'd kill it and I'm sure he'd blow peoples minds.

That's what I'd want to do. I'd want to build a car that made it into the top 5 but do it by not using the usual suspects ya know? Give the underdog a chance.....look at the Woodward Roadster. Everyone wanted that thing to win because it was just as nice as the others and built by the underdogs!!!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
hombres ruin
Old School HAMBer

Great use of the forum I agree but it really comes down to cash and a vision... Just ask James hetfield, it works for him
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombres ruin View Post
Great use of the forum I agree but it really comes down to cash and a vision... Just ask James hetfield, it works for him
It would appear he's got both starting with an Ardun. JadeIdol's Woodward Roadster was not about money (I'm sure there was a substantial investment) it was more about the vision and fit and finish.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
SCOTT GILLEN

I did see the Woodward and thought, what a beautiful build and the fit and finish was great as well.....I did think it needed some separation in the overall look, as it was hard to see detail where you wanted to see detail....Don't hate me for this but, seamless transition and looking at a car, but not knowing just what you see..... but see it as a work of art is the key. Many can build a great car and flash it all up, those who can design and execute a build while you look at it and not realize why it is you love it....Thats the magic. I made a living shooting cars for over 15 years and I did so much stage work where there was sparse area's and negative space to work with. That you need to design you shots and your camera moves in a way that help the car but not over step it. In your face is bad, not knowing why you love it, thats greg.....my two cents.

Scott

By the way, I will run the vintage smoothie Hailabrand with nock off's, 16 fronts and 18 in back
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
ynottayblock

Honestly your best bet is to find a builder and a designer and let them work their magic. If you ask on here you'll get a 1000 different opinions. Hire Jeem or Norwell (or any of the talented designers floating around the hamb) to sketch you up something, then find someone to build it.

On a side note has a roadster pick up ever won the GNRS?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
SCOTT GILLEN

Is that not the point, to try and have a truck win......

Scott

I will try my best to not embarrass myself.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
COOTER

Yes, the Ala Kart.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
mike in tucson
Grenade Inspector

After reviewing the GNRS Most Beautiful Roadster contenders last weekend, I think you might have a shot if you can drop perhaps $750,000. That amount would NOT have come close to winning last year but it would put you in the running. To my knowledge, they dont tell who the top 5 are, just the winner. Further, IF I guessed the top five, probably #5 took $400K this year. Last of the group probably had $250K spent. Last place wasnt a shabby car by no means.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Here's where I'd go with it. By using an Ardun you're going to have to mess with the hood sides so you'd have to get really really creative, OR choose a different engine that'll allow that beautiful hood to be as it is.

Maybe since the "truck" is the least refined model that you can start with, maybe execute an Aussie unibody type deal where the bed gracefully flows into the cab without making it look like YOU did it and more like as if FORD did it....but with better execution.

I would like to see Wide fives used on the truck (18" out back and 16" up front?) with caps and trim rings. I think the wide fives give lend themselves to the utilitarian idea that surrounds a truck. Maybe 18" Ascot block tread tires out back and rib runners up front mounted on black wheels.

Front suspension chromed dropped bell tube axle. with unspllt wishbone however with a twist. Maybe drilled and sleeved unsplit?

I've gotta go, my son is requiring my attention. More ideas later!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
monkey's wrench
FNG

Sometimes it isn't about the money. Sure, it may take a ton of it, but it can be spent many ways. We have all seen cars with entirely too much invested, that we didn't even take a second look. Or, just did from pure disbelief at what a monstrosity it was. It depends on the builder, and the designer to come up with a concept that fits both. I won't say it's like a marriage, because this has to be better than most.
Many people wait their whole life trying to build their vision. Either funding or talent halt them. Less than a year to bring a serious contender is a tall order. Most of the heavy hitters wouldn't commit to such a deadline. You have one major advantage, You already have a car, and a pretty damn nice stockpile of parts to pull from. Disadvantages are that the chassis needs to be modified for the rear end, and some fab work would need to be done to the bed. Still better than not having a car to start with. If you aren't doing super body mods to the existing car, that will cut some time.
The killer of your time will be "paint jail". That undetermined amount of time when the rest of progress stops. The car needs to be fit in completion, then totally disassembled for paint, plating and powder-coating. While your parts are scattered across the car universe, you(and/or the builder) have to sit there and sweat it out. Hopefully, all things come together in enough time to reassemble and nothing changed.
As for ideas on your car: If you are polishing the wheels, I think a dark blue body, but not too dark as to lose the body lines. Something in contrasting earth-tones for the interior and top. Something in the exotic blondes for wood in the bed, stainless strips inlaid. Something to tie the body and upholstery together. Polish the snot out of the valve covers, blower and manifold, then paint the block body color. Not my cup of tea, but show car style. Lots and lots of details though, more and more the further you go.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
hombres ruin
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
It would appear he's got both starting with an Ardun. JadeIdol's Woodward Roadster was not about money (I'm sure there was a substantial investment) it was more about the vision and fit and finish.

A substantial investment indicates a large financial dedication to a project,you wont get into the top 5 at GNRS on a shoe string budget and i am sure brizio doesnt work for free.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
SCOTT GILLEN

And why bring Roy into the mix?

Scott
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
finkd

I'm up for doing body and paint, I'm in kansas so my overhead is alot lower then cali prices. and fatluckys on interior,... been a winning combonation many times before. And I have an idea on a couple guys that want to work on a project like this, that live in the midwest, hard workers just need the chance to prove themselves. lets talk.....
Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
msalamanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT GILLEN View Post
Sure if thats what it takes, can it be done.? Can you win, can you get close to the top 5 pics?

Scott

Why not build it yourself?
Maybe have someone do some things for you, but whats the fun in having someone else completely build a car for you?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
finkd

I like his thinking outside the box, maybe give some underdogs hidden in the middle of the country a chance. Prices are alot cheaper and the guys work alot harder cause they have more to prove.....
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #26
monkey's wrench
FNG

Back to car ideas, I'd lean the grille to match the louvers...easier said than done, but more symetrical
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
ynottayblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkd View Post
I'm up for doing body and paint, I'm in kansas so my overhead is alot lower then cali prices. and fatluckys on interior,... been a winning combonation many times before. And I have an idea on a couple guys that want to work on a project like this, that live in the midwest, hard workers just need the chance to prove themselves. lets talk.....
definently a winning combo
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
verde742

Speed cost money//// how fast ya wanna go?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #29
alchemy
Alliance Member

Are you doing that 34 RPU? If you don't already have that car, I'd suggest something else. I never did like those fake 34 RPU's.

I think a 34 needs the fenders to win. Are there any winning highboy 34's that weren't smoothed up Boydsters? And a "passenger car" 34 RPU, fenders or not, is just kind of awkward.

The way the AMBR is going, it will need to be a traditional car to win. How abouta 30 RPU on a 32 frame, with the blown Ardun and the smoothie Halibrands? Go ALL THE WAY and use a real Ford driveline, not modern trans and open driveshaft.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
Perrorojo
Alliance Member

I don't buy into the money argument. A winner doesn't have to cost $750k. It has to look perfect. There are a large handful of metal/interior/paint guys on here that could pull it off. The question is time. Can they drop what they are doing and find the time to help. We've all seen the threads where guys start with a body they found in a ditch or pond or burning building and turn out something amazing. When I look at a car I don't think about money. I look at the lines and the detail and the function. That's what will win.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
alfin32
Alliance Member

Scott,
We've won BOS at Pebble Beach 3 times, and would be very hard pressed to do it in under a year, which is what you have now. Granted, a Rod maybe be somewhat easier, and it looks like you have a mostly complete car, but it doesn't look like you started out with the AMBR in mind. I'm very happy with the way the pendulum is swinging in terms of traditional rods, because the past couple of years have had no interest to me.

Having said that, the detail, fit, and finish on the contenders rivals any PB entrants, and you may be better of to start fresh with that goal in mind. I'm not sure how AMBR works, but like PB, going there for the first time with a builder who's been there before has to be a distinct advantage. As one entrant showed this past weekend, just throwing heaps of money at it, with no vision, guarantees failure.
My $.02.
Good Luck, you certainly have the eye.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
Blue One
Alliance Member

I think you are starting with the wrong platform. No way I can see a 33 or 34 truck without a top making it anywhere near the top 5 much less winning.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #33
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

I would rather take the money and that roadster pickup and spend 5 years driving all over this great country exploring every nook and cranny. Sounds like a better life experience than spending it on a show car. Just thinking out loud here. Different strokes.... Good luck with it!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
exStreamliner

Bigger question... What is the wining combination... If you changed motors in the Woodward roadster to the rarer Aurdun and Kinmonts would it have won? I think rare part add the mix but I think this years winner didn't need those parts to win... Full size Ardun and flowing hood lines are tough... Ermie's 32 pulled it off... But would that same car have won in competition this year? Design, functional flow, fit and finish are key but visual effect define beauty (in the eyes of the beholder)... If the color of the winner and the Woodward roadster were exchanged would the selection been the same? Maybe you start another thread to get opinions on everyone's "most beautiful roadster" or have a design contest with top three awards winning enough to make it worth thier time... Work with Ryan to make official - like the Tech contests... Anyways, my opinion - look at the last two winners an the first for inspiration and keep body size proportionate to the motor selection...
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #35
glassguyOC
Grenade Inspector

The only reason Rudy hasn't won the AMBR, is because he hasn't entered. Going with another builder would be a big mistake.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #36
bubba67

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassguyOC View Post
The only reason Rudy hasn't won the AMBR, is because he hasn't entered. Going with another builder would be a big mistake.
I couldn't agree more !
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #37
Big Al
Alliance Member

the biggest problem i can see is the time frame. i would definitely getting rudy to do the build. are you stuck on starting with that '33 pickup.
Al.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #38
bubba67

I'd put the 3w on hold and have Rudy jump on the roadster full steam.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #39
SCOTT GILLEN

The America Most Beautiful Roadster means Roadster, if I am incorrect tell the deal. I have been told it needs to be a Roadster to be in the show. I am not just building to try and get in, I am building to win or at least thats what I tell myself. There is not reason to start if you don't intend to go all the way. It's a huge investment in time and money to do it in the first place. If you don't put your all into it, you have no shot at all of even getting close. I will build the truck in time and the reason to use the truck, is because I own it already.

Alex has said that when the truck was build (10) years ago, I did not build it with the intention of AMBER and thats correct. The Truck is all steel and hand build completely. I spent good money on the Body and good money on the chassis. I will dump the chassis and build a new one to put the Truck on....And go from there...

The point of the thread, if it makes any sense at all....Was for all of use to watch and add our thoughts on the build. I have been very lucky in life and I will get this done. I would like to hear thoughts from all of you on what you would do, about how and what it should be....At the end of the day I might use those thoughts or I might not.....,but its good clean fun and we all feel like we are part of the process......In or out lets have some fun....the issue's in the world today are so crazy, I just want to enjoy some good building times......Jump in if you want, I would love to hear all the thinking.....I will be at the show in 2014 thats a guarantee.

Scott Gillen

Last edited by SCOTT GILLEN; 01-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #40
mr.32

Go for it! Gnrs takes applications with car photo and display photos, then picks they're 10 picks. These 10 picks are invited to come. So, being invited is a great honor.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #41
SCOTT GILLEN

I thought he Woodward Roadster was great, I just think it needed a bit more depth and detail in it for the things that were cool to stand out.....I thought the all black black was very nice great paint and all the rest, but I wanted some things to stand a bit......for the forum they were going for, they needed a bit more in my mind....But very nice car.

The Winner Roy's build.... Roadster was very nice and I keep looking at it and saw that the car flowed very well......

Scott Gillen

Last edited by SCOTT GILLEN; 01-30-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #42
GassersGarage
Old School HAMBer

I would go with Hots and Hobbies in Signal Hill. Run your concepts by Scott at Hot Rods and Hobbies and Steve Sanford can render it. He ain't cheap but he does fantastic work.
http://www.hotrodsandhobbies.net/
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #43
alfin32
Alliance Member

Game on, let's go!
What's Rudy's take on the time frame?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #44
SCOTT GILLEN

Scott did some work on my 1950 ford coupe......

Scott Gillen
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #45
HellsHotRods

You don't need an ARDUN and a Halibrand QC to be in the top 5...start thinking outside the box

The Woodward roadster was a fine example of a great art director with a limited budget.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #46
ruralrod

exactly why i'm turned off by the HAMB these days. i cant believe this thread exists. gay
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #47
GaryB
Alliance Member

an oFFy could be different way to go,modified roadster. let the imagination go wild.just my $.02
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #48
chickenridgerods

Nice idea, but an Ardun in that truck won't win the AMBR, IMO. It'd have to be a more modern build to win with one of those Steve's '33/34 RPUs. Something more along the lines of the 2011 winner.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts: Hilborn & misc
- '32-34 Ford RPU parts, radiator cap, rear fenders
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #49
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Why don't you just build my phaeton and then give it back after you win?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #50
curbspeed
Old School HAMBer

I would give Jimmy over at Circle City Hotrods a shot if I was doing something like this. I bet he could conjur up a winner. I like the 34 rpu concept. It could win if done right.
www.facebook.com/Model40Fan-tasticPage
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #51
SCOTT GILLEN

Not too turn the thread into shit...but the Steve's body came from me not from steve. I commissioned them 8 years ago to build me the one off truck car cab truck combo.

Scott Gillen

Hey Steve.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #52
PKap
Grenade Inspector

That is a fantastic goal, and I will love to follow along. For all of us that will never have the opportunity to do this for ourself, just being given the opportunity to give some input as the planning and building happen is very cool. The possibility of seeing an ambr winner that you can look at some feature and say "I suggested that" is amazing. Hopefully taking the effort to post here will be positive to the build. My biggest worry with "designing by committee " is a result like GM's Aztec from a few years ago. Good luck
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #53
philly the greek

I've been involved in three AMBR projects , and none of those were accomplished in one year . That type of quality of craftsmanship takes time . Good luck.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #54
exStreamliner

If your going to follow thru with the pick-up... I'd do a 33 hood and grill with skirt less fenders for a prototype look and by having no skirts you showcase the suspension... Kinda late 32 early 33 look
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #55
jadeidol
Grenade Inspector

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTJJ1359664924.325657.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1853648Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTJJ1359664955.920121.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	1853649
Here is some pictures of the Woodward with a Ardun in it. I felt that the lines of the hood were more important then the speed equipment. There are only 3 hotrod parts so it didn't make sense to have any hood bulges. My car is a tribute to ford design and especially Edsel Fords ideas. He was a man who wore gray suits and even had the color on continental #1 changed from Yellow to gray. It is easy to put flash on a car but hard to make someone stop and look at the real details. Rare hot rod parts are just that but hand built parts show the true passion of the builder. "Less is more" mies van der rohe

Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #56
monkey's wrench
FNG

Silly question, but why rush something that needs to be as perfect as possible? When things get rushed, $#!+ happens. I assume it is the same no mater what shop is chosen. Why not finish the whizbang 33 coupe and take home a competition coupe or coupe trophy? If you have that much of a desire to compete for the AMBR Trophy, why not take a year and a half? Your, and your builder's blood pressure would be better off. It would give you time to create a vision, even if it isn't 33/34 roadster pickup. Just a thought...
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #57
BrerHair
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralrod View Post
exactly why i'm turned off by the HAMB these days. i cant believe this thread exists. gay
Exactly why I love the HAMB. I can't believe you exist. Straight.

'51 Chevy build thread
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #58
FritzTownFord

Improve your chances by 1000% - use a builder that has been invited several times and who won the AMBR before. If it isn't a private club, it's damn close. Just sayin'.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #59
exStreamliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeidol View Post
I felt that the lines of the hood were more important then the speed equipment.... it didn't make sense to have any hood bulges... Rare hot rod parts are just that but hand built parts show the true passion of the builder. "Less is more"
I couldn't agree more... It's great to have rare parts that blend with the flow and have a function but without purpose - what the point
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #60
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Well Scott, while many of us sit in front of the screen and pipe dream about building a car that could compete and win you are up to actually doing it and I think you actually have a good grasp on how to get it done. I'm with the others though in that a year is a short period of time for even the best crews to put together a winning car from scratch meaning the design scratched out on paper and going from there.

The ultra rare parts thing is nice but I'd have to think that highly attractive parts that can be detailed beyond the max might be better.

Color choice does have a hell of a lot to do with it. The details can't get lost in the color but on the other hand the color or paint it's self can't overpower the rest of the car.

Personally I like the idea of doing the roadster pickup. It's a special body in it's self and won't get lost in the middle of a group of sometimes look alike highboy roadsters. It may take a bigger effort to pull a win but from what I see That little truck is up to the challenge.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #61
Cyclone Kevin
Alliance Vendor

Quote:
Not too turn the thread into shit...but the Steve's body came from me not from steve. I commissioned them 8 years ago to build me the one off truck car cab truck combo.

Scott Gillen

Hey Steve.
Hey there Scott,
First off I'd say that what you have proposed here would be an honor to have a H.A.M.B. inspired project in the "14 GNRS". I love Model 40's and phantom versions don't bother me and I'm sure that the judges would agree, just go back and see what has won over the past
60yrs.
That said, Why not a Cyclone Quickie for race themed tradition, The Ardun mill is a great idea as is much of what you already have. Fit and finish is what seems to set the winner apart from the other contenders.
A bitchen set of gauges, steering column with a unique style wheel, perhaps something along the line of and 30's indy car or high end Duesey/Pierce Arrow.

That could fit in with your Sprint Car wheel theme as well. Perhaps a scavenger type exhaust along the lines of what Jake did with the yellow coupe back in 73 and a single bar nerf for the rear bumper that could possible include a drop down hidden hitch receiver.

Again, these are just ideas, I've worked on and witnessed Million Dollar Bugatti's go together in much less time and be in the Christies Auction Catalog looking just like it did 30yrs previous to its printing, even though just 2wks before it was a total basket case in raw aluminum needing body work, paint glass interior and total reassembly.

That drophead coupe was gorgeous when it was completed and just $50k to get it done by the auction, seems like small change compared to the figures cited above. I believe that you can and will make this a reality in quality form.

CK.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #62
Pat Pryor

I will build you an AMBR winner.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #63
SCOTT GILLEN

Let's assume that anyone in the game has the skill to build the car, the fit the finish and the build itself will be great, or they won't past the curtain.

Now we have the rest, style color stand's and car.....What will the car be. I think the truck has a great shot because if you look at what has won in the past.....All the same stuff.....How many high boys can you build. Again the fit and finish should not come into play because if you pass the curtain now your in the game. The rest of the car is what is looked at and looked at very close.

I think the build needs to have seamless lines and flow in a way that you don't realize why it flows but that it does. The fenders need to follow a line that pick the car up and again you should not feel this when you look at the car. The whole build need to look like it all belongs just where it is.

The subject of parts has come up many many times, The parts them self need to follow the build of the era, or whats the point in the first place. it's not about what they cost, I have talk to many guys.....Orosco, Ferguson, Brizo and more to see just what was in the day of the era of the build....We all agree the car needs to follow the year.......I think it's the truck and it will need to be.. perfect in every way.......to have a shot

Scott Gillen
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #64
Drewfus

Words to pin to your 'must' list...

* flow
* Seamless
* balance
* design
* focus
* faultless
* purity
* driven
* integrity
* intent
* restraint
* purpose
* complimentary

As mentioned previously, less is more, and to have the refinement required demands not just the physical element, but the design intent and refrainment from excess, hard to achieve when you need to excel in so many area's, but remain calm and balanced.

just look at this years contenders, the ones that stand tall, there was nothing outlandish, nor excessive, all had a relative calmness that drew you in and made you dig deaper, with hidden story and purpose, gracefully celebrated with utmost subtle balance.

Quote:
I think the build needs to have seamless lines and flow in a way that you don't realize why it flows but that it does. The fenders need to follow a line that pick the car up and again you should not feel this when you look at the car. The whole build need to look like it all belongs just where it is.

The subject of parts has come up many many times, The parts them self need to follow the build of the era, or whats the point in the first place
I share your perspective there, and this is the reason why, I feel, the hybrid pickup is not the answer, at least in its principal form, purely because it currently does not illustrate a seamless visual line, nor look balanced.
The classic model 40 profile conflicts with the box, if you purposely wanted to follow the roadster/pickup theme, then if nothing else I'd have gone with the roadster/ute body, as at least the benchmark is there to be developed to offer a chance for a uniform and continuous profile.

I do feel that a designed plan and intent is pivotal, which is something that you need to work through with a 'practical dreamer', keeping in mind that it then must then compliment the builder and his ability to share the vision.

Personally, if I kept it in my mind that I wanted to celbrate a blown ardun, a 34 ford, and kept an element of focus with your coupe in the background, then I would be building a gloss black(on black, on black) 34 roadster, that captured the timeless and graceful appeal but with detail and components that support the big picture, but at now time overpower or undermine it's presence.

Less is more, and maintaining the purity in design is fundamental, everything else revolves and is there to compliment.

Cheers,

Drewfus
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #65
glassguyOC
Grenade Inspector

Build a super nice model A roadster. They have the best lines and stand up next to anything. The 34 RPU is funny looking at best. It has a super elegant front half and a fucking truck bed back half.... It looks confused. Kinda like a fat chick with a super cute face.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #66
Hip2bsquare
Grenade Inspector

I can not say any names or how i have come about this info... and what i am telling you should be no surprise when building any car... but i heard from a VERY reliable source that a couple cars were in the running this year... cars that would surprise you, but what let them fail was FIT AND FINISH!!! No matter what you build and take to compete... just check fender height from side to side, filler thickness on edges, gaps, headlight adjustment! All the little things! Its not just the parts and what you put them in/on! Car building 101!!! I would love to have a car i worked on go for the A.M.B.R... maybe someday!!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #67
basicbob
Alliance Member

Scott, perhaps you should ask the top 5 at the GNRS from 2010-13 to see what kept them from being the "GRAND NATIONAL WINNER".

If you reflect on how long it takes a pro like Rudy to build a nice car then tripple the time for a GNRS winner maybe one year is asking too much????

Last edited by basicbob; 02-18-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #68
iammarvin
BANNED

Reading these last posts is like the wine and cheese social elite trying to keep the square hole beer and whiskey guyes outa their round hole gathering. Just my thoughts, please change my thinking..........
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #69
Floorboardinit

Well put...I thought the restraint shown on the build is what made it so great. It wasn't over the top and all doo-dad'd up. It seems like its turned into a shopping list instead of a build lately..I gotta have this rare thing and this ultra-rare nonexistent speed part...blah blah blah. Its refreshing that ingenuity over stacks of cash went as far as it did. Its quite a task building an 80 year old factory prototype that never was and I think you pulled it off as close as anybody possibly could. JohnnyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeidol View Post
Attachment 1853648Attachment 1853649
Here is some pictures of the Woodward with a Ardun in it. I felt that the lines of the hood were more important then the speed equipment. There are only 3 hotrod parts so it didn't make sense to have any hood bulges. My car is a tribute to ford design and especially Edsel Fords ideas. He was a man who wore gray suits and even had the color on continental #1 changed from Yellow to gray. It is easy to put flash on a car but hard to make someone stop and look at the real details. Rare hot rod parts are just that but hand built parts show the true passion of the builder. "Less is more" mies van der rohe

Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #70
randy

$750,000??? That's some next level gold-chainer shit. Why not build a clean, functional car with your HANDS and enjoy driving it?

What are you searching for? What would compel you to PAY someone that much to build a car for the show circuit?

If you BUILD it yourself, you're declaring to the world, "This is a physical manifestation of my dedication and commitment to my craft." That's rad. But...you won't be building it.

Displays of wealth are a pretty integral part of our society, so you'll definitely be following the rule book with your upcoming project, but I wonder at the deeper psychology behind it all.

The Hot Rod mentality was born in young men who couldn't follow the rules. They were practical, innovative, crazy and creative. The HAMB is full of dudes of the same alloy.

Winning the GNRS does not make you anything you weren't already. What are you now?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #71
rat bastad
Old School HAMBer

All good points made above for sure.

But to what end? All this for a trophy? Ego trip? Show circuit circus? Challenge? Promote your biz?

Other than the challenge - I can't see a reason to do it. To my mind - if it isn't YOUR achievement if it ain't YOUR soul in it. GNRS, AMBR or not.

It would'nt sit well with me (my feeling) to accept an award/trophy/recognition for a car I didn't build, whether it was a 20K build or a $2M build. Its just not the same thing. Although i would'nt knock someone for attempting it. That kinda dinero is a serious commitment any way you cut it.

But I don't get why someone would spend that kind dinero on something just to have have it JUDGED by another individual. That judgement is usually based on an certain parameters and of course - opinions and biases. Its human. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - in this case the judges.

Then again if it turns your crank....do what makes ya happy brother - no dream stealing here.

Rat
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #72
TexasSpeed
Alliance Member

For those that say you HAVE to have rare parts.. I see a simple, clean, and beautifully executed T here that should have won. No fancy stuff here. And this was built by a group of friends who wanted to, in their garages.

No big name builder. No $750K price. No super, ultra, "search-to-the-ends-of-earth", rare parts. And as if building this T wasn't hard enough, they returned this year with the Woodward Roadster.

Truly passionate hot rodders doing what they love.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #73
Hot Rod Ron
Old School HAMBer

[QUOTE=TexasSpeed;8650487]For those that say you HAVE to have rare parts.. I see a simple, clean, and beautifully executed T here that should have won. No fancy stuff here. And this was built by a group of friends who wanted to, in their garages.

No big name builder. No $750K price. No super, ultra, "search-to-the-ends-of-earth", rare parts. And as if building this T wasn't hard enough, they returned this year with the Woodward Roadster.

Truly passionate hot rodders doing what they love.

And yet the show and judges still award the big time builder and person who spent 6 figures to build the car. In my opinion the kids were robbed.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #74
SCOTT GILLEN

JUST A THOUGHT HERE......Who said it was $750.000 to build and who said I was not to be in the build, its always funny to sit and watch the folks. All and all it's a group of good guys but then again you get these assholes who read into shit to see what they can stir up. I just want to build a great car for no other reason that that. I am pretty sure that I have done enough in life to justify that I have an eye and design is just as easy for me as pissing. I can weld and I can turn a wrench, the beauty for me and the fun was in a partnership with a builder, it's the team work, the creative conversation of how and what the car should look like. The fight for the stance, the fight for the color and or for the look of whatever we would do. There's know soul searching ass picking ego fucking bullshit. Just want to create one that was mine.....If I wanted to win I would just go to the biggest shop and pay all that cash and say I want to win.......I never said I would win, just want to be in the game.....To be there and stand and look and tell who ever is the builder standing next to me that we did it....

I have been very lucky in life and wanted to pass some shit on, give a guy a shot to get it. All the shop's are nothing, without customers like us that get them to build the cars we all build and keep them running so they can show off to all the new customers what they build and get more customers....Thats how the ball rolls around.

No ego no bullshit no other reason then to just do it.....Thats all. Just want to be clear on the point here and while I'm pissing in the wind, I thought it cool, to have all the members way in and bring there thoughts from anyone who wanted to jump in........Its never easy is it. The thread started nice and got shitty....What can I say other then fuck it.

Close it down.

Scott Gillen

Also.....A guy that can't see shit walks buy a car and see's nothing, is never the guy I need to impress. I want the guy that see's it all to stop and say.......Thats a fucking car right there.....So it doesn't matter to me what a judge says, it the ones that really know, that see the things you do and understand why you did them...... that's what I look for.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #75
Weasel
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynottayblock View Post
Honestly your best bet is to find a builder and a designer and let them work their magic. If you ask on here you'll get a 1000 different opinions. Hire Jeem or Norwell (or any of the talented designers floating around the hamb) to sketch you up something, then find someone to build it.

On a side note has a roadster pick up ever won the GNRS?
When Stan Betz entered his phantom custom built '2032' roadster pickup for the show, Don Raible who won the AMBR with his 'Blue Steel' 1932 roadster told Stan to take another year to get the car ready. Stan did not and did not win either. On a side note he sold me his original 1932 RPU and then regretted it - yes a real one, which is in Rudy's shop.

It is very hard to compete at the top level - I know, I assembled an AMBR entrant. Fords have been done to death in every flavor and it seems as though people are just desperate to find another variation on the same old theme. I would say three years minimum to produce a winner and I am sorry but the thought of yet another Halibrand QC reproduction Ardun powered flatty is also done to death.

Maybe a non Ford would be a novelty - and I have a super rare 1930s roadster and an exotic engine/trans that is the wildest of the wild, which if built by the right people, certainly has what it takes to create a major buzz. If you are interested Scott, feel free to pm me....

Last edited by Weasel; 02-18-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #76
alfin32
Alliance Member

Quote:
JUST A THOUGHT HERE......Who said it was $750.000 to build and who said I was not to be in the build, its always funny to sit and watch the folks. All and all it's a group of good guys but then again you get these assholes who read into shit to see what they can stir up. I just want to build a great car for no other reason that that. I am pretty sure that I have done enough in life to justify that I have an eye and design is just as easy for me as pissing. I can weld and I can turn a wrench, the beauty for me and the fun was in a partnership with a builder, it's the team work, the creative conversation of how and what the car should look like. The fight for the stance, the fight for the color and or for the look of whatever we would do. There's know soul searching ass picking ego fucking bullshit. Just want to create one that was mine.....If I wanted to win I would just go to the biggest shop and pay all that cash and say I want to win.......I never said I would win, just want to be in the game.....To be there and stand and look and tell who ever is the builder standing next to me that we did it....

I have been very lucky in life and wanted to pass some shit on, give a guy a shot to get it. All the shop's are nothing, without customers like us that get them to build the cars we all build and keep them running so they can show off to all the new customers what they build and get more customers....Thats how the ball rolls around.

No ego no bullshit no other reason then to just do it.....Thats all. Just want to be clear on the point here and while I'm pissing in the wind, I thought it cool, to have all the members way in and bring there thoughts from anyone who wanted to jump in........Its never easy is it. The thread started nice and got shitty....What can I say other then fuck it.

Close it down.

Scott Gillen

Also.....A guy that can't see shit walks buy a car and see's nothing, is never the guy I need to impress. I want the guy that see's it all to stop and say.......Thats a fucking car right there.....So it doesn't matter to me what a judge says, it the ones that really know, that see the things you do and understand why you did them...... that's what I look for.
Well said.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #77
BrerHair
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Its never easy is it. The thread started nice and got shitty.....
It's like the construction world . . . better have a thick skin.

Or, it's like finding good music on the radio . . . it's out there, you just have to wade through a lot of shit to find it.

'51 Chevy build thread
Old 06-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #78
A Rodder

What's the status of this plan?

My 1930 Ford Coupe build thread.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showt...r /> t=626730

Modelajoe on instagram
Old 09-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #79
SCOTT GILLEN

Under Construction now and or being built.

Scott Gillen
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #80
SCOTT GILLEN

Well I thought I would let this out of the bag......I have spent good time here on this and have gathered the folks that I think will help build a great car. If we get close, cool if not whatever......Roy Brizio....Builder.... Ionia Hot Rod Shop.....Frame.....Salt Flats Speed shop.... Metal work..... And Eric Black has done a fantastic job of bringing to life the picture in my head.......

Scott

Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #81
Pewsplace

Regardless of the outcome, the vision, builder selection and collaboration with each will be a memory you will cherish forever. The dream begins. Good luck and keep us posted.
Lynn
Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #82
McFly

Looks like a nice cast of folks. Should be a great car.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #83
Special Ed
Old School HAMBer

Good luck Scott. More than any other component, it takes immense dedication. You seem to have that aspect down pretty darned well. See you there!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #84
hawleywood1

Scott,

I have been watching the build at Roy's. Your 3 window is going to be beautiful. Roy just finished a 32 Fordor highboy for me. I had a vision for years on what I wanted to do. It turned out awesome. The car was only a week finished and I was able to to take it to Deuce Days with my father in BC. I will never forget the time we had. Priceless. You picked one of the best. Roy has built 4 cars for me. I drive all of them!!!!!

Can't wait to see yours all finished!!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #85
SCOTT GILLEN

The 32 Ford, it will look like this and I bet it does look just like this. Roy has got to be one of the nicest guys I've meet and value the way he deals with his clients. I have meet many shops over the years, some good some shit and I have to say he is at the top of my list. I take my builds very serious and cant stand when a shop starts telling me how I should build my cars, Roy would never do that to a client that came there to build what they had visioned.

Scott

Last edited by SCOTT GILLEN; 12-06-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #86
hotroddon
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
The 32 Ford, it will look like this and I bet it does look just like this. Roy has got to be one of the nicest guys I've meet and value the way he deals with his clients. I have meet many shops over the years, some good some shit and I have to say he is at the top of my list. I take my builds very serious and cant stand when a shop starts telling me how I should build my cars, Roy would never do that to a client that came there to build what they had visioned.

Scott
So what happened? You started out with the intention of an AMBR contestant, showed pictures of a 32 Roadster and it somehow became a Coupe, so no longer an AMBR car.
How come? just curious

Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #87
SCOTT GILLEN

These are 3 different builds and all are in the process, thats why I shoed the pics I did......The roadster frame is being built as we talk and the body started out as A all original roadster body and is be done to the details of the drawing in the thread......

Scott

Last edited by SCOTT GILLEN; 12-06-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #88
hotroddon
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
These are 3 different builds and all are in the process, thats why I shoed the pics I did......The roadster frame is being built as we talk and the body started out as A all original roadster body and is be done to the details of the drawing in the thread......

Scott
OK, thanks for clarifying that Ya had me confused.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #89
ratman
Alliance Member

Very nice Scott, I really like the look and stance of the Roadster. I'm looking forward to watching the progress.
Peter
Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #90
BCR

Quote:

Scott

That will be a bitchin model A if it comes out like the art work.

GoldChainers CC
Flat landers chapter
Old 10-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #91
alchemy
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR View Post
That will be a bitchin model A if it comes out like the art work.
Yep, I love A's that look like 32's.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #92
SCOTT GILLEN

I have stop posting on this thread and taken it all to my other thread.
"
My first real 33 ford Coupe"
Sorry do not know how to create the link.

Scott Gillen
Old 11-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #93
Bert Kollar
Alliance Member

If it were me (and your money ) I would talk to Chip Foose for design and Steve Moal for the build. The boys at Marcel's Shop could have some input and possibly do some of the fab. All of these names are at the top of the game. Nobody better.