Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum/ Magnesium wheel id questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alienbaby17, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I have a pair of older American style rims I'm trying find some more info. about. They look like the Torqu Thrust D style wheels but I'm not sure about their orgin. How can I tell the difference between magnesium and aluminum wheels? Is there any significant difference in what they would be worth if they are one or the other? Thanks,

Jay

2. touch a grinder to a unseen area, if it showers sparks, not a couple now + again- mag, also Mag turns black w time, careful alot of early wheels were a mag/alum composite that also turn grey , alot of those had a STEEL rim, cheepies stay away from em,also DO NOT GET A TORCH close or lay on the grinder too heavy to them--- real MAG BURNS
    prices ??? in pairs-alum $75 -$275 for alum $300 to $1500 for Mag- depends on style,brand, BC and condition

3. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Cool...that's what I needed to know.

Thanks, Jay

4. brandon

brandon

one thing.....magnesium americans aren't marked american racing ....(except for some of the spindle mount stuff) ....magnesium doesn't always turn black ....atmosphere conditions control that....like mike said ....scratch off some shavings ....and light it off in a pile.....if it burns its mag.....and also like mike said .....watch those 2 piece steel / aluminum wheels.....they have a bad tendency to hold water and crack and rust......brandon love that mag ...just not polished.....!????

5. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Aluminum shavings burn as easily as mag, almost as violently too.
    Vingar will make fizz on magnesium.
    Won't on aluminum.
    Most wheels are only a mag alloy, pure mag is very, very porous and you can see the pores easily.

6. brandon

brandon

Most wheels are only a mag alloy, pure mag is very, very porous and you can see the pores easily.[/QUOTE]

usually once you start hitting it with a buffer and some compound.....then things really start showin up......haha .....ah crap ....should have just let them turn black ....hahahh brandon

7. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

usually once you start hitting it with a buffer and some compound.....then things really start showin up......haha .....ah crap ....should have just let them turn black ....hahahh brandon[/QUOTE]

For sure, if you want to see a lot of pores buffing magnesium is a good way to find them.
    It also goes blacky brown with the slightest heat.
    The higher the mag content the harder it is to buff.
    Which means basically the more expensive the wheel the shittier they look.
    Good quality mags are best dipped in Dow#7
    Then they look natural and the oxide layer stops them getting any worse.
    Wheels with a low mag content will buff as well as aluminum as long as the mix was even, but you have to watch out for pockets of mag.