Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GLASS, 'V ' windscreen on 30 -31 cowl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowsquire, Oct 21, 2005.

1. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

heres my attempt at a duvall/hallock type screen on my RPU.It will have no frame along the top of the glass.
    will explain it in the order of photos, i hope!

1st shot is the stainless u section , Go find an early falcon wagon, the tailgate glass has a perfect section for this job as a top finishing strip, its on there with a rubber seal, if the seals good you can use that too. Now go and find ANOTHER early falcon wagon..coz u need two.

I had cardboard patterns of the basic shape already so i knew the angles, cut out a V in the channel and bend and tack.Mke sure the angles are identical on both pieces.The curve in the cowl is easy to bend in, just do it slowly and check the fit often

Next i mucked about with shapes for the centre pillar in cardboard,was going to put a hole in the upright but my minimalist streak won out, so no hole.

Then I gas axed the pieces out of 6mm plate, ground them to shape, and flipped the bird.

next shot of the piece in the vice shows the two thin strips that act as locators for the stainless strips, and give the piece some shape and tidy it all up..this will make more sense later.

Last two shots are it all together so far..the stainless strips will be secured to the centre post with little countersunk screws that go inside the channel before the glass goes in. the centre pillar will have 1/4 inch fine thread tapped in and bolts up from under the cowl.

I havent figgered out the outside posts yet as you may have noticed..thats saturdays job.Will update it then.

The only tools you need for this is a mig, and angle grinder and patience.
    I love my Metabo 5 inch grinder..it built my hot rod single handed.

Attached Files:

Brandy likes this.
  2. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I love Duvall/Hallock style windshields and your version looks especially appealing. However, are you refering to the Aussie version of the Falcon or the US? If I remember (which many times I don't), your version is more along the Fairlane body style. Is this right? Neat post anyway. I just love the inventiveness that keeps popping up here on the HAMB. Keep us in the loop.

3. That is looking great. Keep posting progress shots.

Here's some reference for you. Homemade by an old friend, circa 1950...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. woody

woody

Very nice work! I really like your car and the work you've been posting of it. Let's see that one on the road.

Woody

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Very nice. This is the HAMB we all need. Tech week is overdue.....Ryan?

6. muffman58

muffman58

I have been kinda following your build, and as usual it looks great! You, Sir are a craftsman! I do have one question if you will, what is the adapter on your Ford manifold that allows you to run the 2 carb setup? Who made/makes it? What kinda carbs? Keep up the great work, and keep us posted on the windscreen!

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Looks great, nice job.

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ohhhh that's a nice HALLOCK frame! True Duvall's go up and over up the glass.......but you knew that.;)

How bout you do a tech on those FABULOUS bomber seats?:D

xxx

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm gonna try to copy the Speedway bomber seats. Got a sale flyer yesterday w/measurements. Good tech post. Got a few others up my sleeve also. Need a tech week.....Ryan?

10. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

That looks great, and that firetruck dashrail looks so right with it.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

12. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

WTF? Pete, you done smacked your head or you have a glove fetish?:D At least he's wearin gloves.......half the morons I know would go sans gloves for that REAL man feel. Wait, what's a real man feel like?

We do need a tech week..........and if you manage those seats Petey, we expect a full on tech thread on them.;) :D
    xxx

13. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

EVERY week is TECH week!

14. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

thanks all, to answer some questions..

The falcons i mean are the first ones (60-63) they were the same car here and there, except for grille design.

The adaptor is a vintage speed one, and the carbs are 94's. DONT buy one from vintage speed , charlie price has been discussed on here before...Look at northwestspeed.com they do one too, and Suedesled is a hamber.

Its a Bit late to do tech on the bomber seats..They are finished and bolted in!But heres a photo, They are basically a copy of the ones in the tech article in Rod & Custom last year .Much Thanks to Greame Sparks who did the bead rolling and wasted a saturday morning teaching me how to use a flange roller and shrinker!and my Dad who showed me how to do solid rivets, aircraft style.aluminium is a wierd material...i like steel better.
    The seat bases will be trimmed in old rolls and pleats red leather from the back seat of a MK 1 Jaguar .sorry its blurry.

Attached Files:

15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great "Tech", but your steering is on the wrong side. Just kidding.......great to see some building on the "HAMB" without the drama.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

16. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

17. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

okey dokey, next bit..

First shot is the frames bent up and tacked, then cut to length, hallocks that kinda go up and out towards the sides, have a kinda 'jaunty' chitty chitty bangbang look, didnt want that.not that theres anything wrong with chitty chitty bang bang...the first car i remember.

next is the ubiquitous cardboard pattern, went for a teardrop shape to follow the curve of the tank into the cowl strip.arty huh.

next are the patterns , and cut out bits of plate. Fuck you.so i cant control a gas axe to save myself..at least im not fakking on about '32 values.

Then had to bend the teardrop to fit the cowl curve..tricky as its a compound curve...heat, bend, fit,heat ,bend ,fit blah blah

next is the welded and ground bit in place...wasnt that quick??

here are the two side pieces nicely set off against a lovely striped panel given to me by Whodaky..Thanks geoff!

Attached Files:

18. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

aaaand... what it looks like now.
    there is a bit of wire to approximate the top of the glass
    last two shots are it all precariously set in place with vise grips and masking tape...nope still not finished..have to drill,tap and mount it all tommorrow then make patterns and get the glass cut.
    Thats a fairly solid eight hours work..im not very quick but what else do you do on a rainy shitty saturday on the farm.
    Ill be picking up the Jet Hot coated lakes pipes monday, and driving it tuesday i hope...completed shots then.

sorry about all the shots on your server ryan..at least its relevant.

Attached Files:

19. striper

striper

Ta Ben

Exactly te sort of screen I was tinkin I needed. Wot about your seats but. Cool.
    Lookin forward to seein it in te fles. Sorry about te pijin enklis. Keyboard fucked acain.

Pete

PS wot will my posts look like for my 28 cowl?

20. striper

striper

Just tinkin a bit more. Man, you really been motorin alon on tat car. Lookin sweeeet.

21. Clark

Clark

That has to be one of the best homemade V windshields I have seen. Great work!
    Clark

22. striper

striper

Ah, I'm over my speech impediment now. Using the computer at work. Don't feel like such a spaz anymore.

I had an awakening last night after seeing your windshield. I had always planned to build one for my 28 but I might build a custom flat one instead. The reason is this. I really like V windshields and the picture I had in my minds eye of what I was going to build looked very much like yours.

It's been done now.

I was 100% convinced that I was going that way. Now I don't know.

Backwards reasoning? Maybe. It surprised me.

Pete

23. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Soooooooooooo how far long IS your 28? Now that you can type like a normal individual and not a fruitloop.:D

24. mtd

mtd
    from FL

nice job thanks for sharing

25. striper

striper

Aw, I dunno Brandy. I keep working on it but it still doesn't look like a car yet. It's a 28 RPU but done as a modified with the body moved back a bit to fit a 401 nailhead (half built). The frame has a 10" kick in the back and 2" Bleed Sweep in the front. Haven't finished crossmembers and boxing yet. The body is 3/4 steeled out but haven't done the floor yet. Just started putting the '48 front end together this week, suicide with spring mounted between the bones. I planned on a two year build which would put me about half way. That's probably not far from the truth. Hoping to debut at Johns Picnic '06 with my mates 29 Dodge 5w. He's at about the same point.

When it looks something like a car I'll post pics.

Pete

26. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

2006? I will see you there..........and I expect my beer upon arrival.:D Cold, you in a lil french maids uniform.....my slippers in one hand, an icey beer in the other.................oh wait, sorry. I love rpu's, but you certainly have my attention with that nailhead. Expensive buggers, but SO worth it. Good luck 'migo.
    xxx

27. tysond

tysond

Nice looking windshield. I was thinking of making one for the dodge boattail.
    I was planning in making the basic shape out of wire, then plastering it up. Cave it away untill I get the shape i want, then take it in for some sand casing. Your way looks way smarter. I'll have to check it out at the picknick.

28. muffman58

muffman58

Thank`s lowsquire I`ll check it out & I appreciate your reply!

29. Aw man... you painted it flat black! Scenester!!! ;)

Looking good. Can't wait to see it next weekend.

30. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

No Brootal, its a very dark (and stylish) blue i had custom mixed, but you are right, im a wannabe hotrodabilly.
    "have you got anything with skulls?I fukken love skulls" -Nooch.