Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jack Calori's '36 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. I remember reading about the restoration but somehow missed the car being lost so many years. HRP

4. Rikster

Rikster

Here are some early photos of the Jack Calori Coupe from the Jack Calori Photo Album. Billy Crewl shared these on the Custom Car Photo Archive site.

This photo from Jacks own photo album shows the car shortly after Herb Reneau was done with the body work on the car. He had chopped the top, smoothed the rear fenders, created the set in license plate, added the 1941 Hudson taillights close to the plate, and added the 1939 LaSalle grille in the newly shaped front and molded in a set of 1940 Chevy headlights. But the car was still in primer in this photo, and the 1941 Ford bumpers have not yet been installed here either.

[​IMG]

Another photo from the Jack Calori Collection shared by Billy Crewl shows the front of Jack's 1936 Ford shortly after all the body work was done by Herb Reneau. This a bit blurry photo shows the work that Herb did to the front. Here he removed the original 1936 Ford grille, shaped a new steel panel to fill the hole and made a new opening to fit the 1939 La Salle grille. Herb also set a set of 1940 Chevy headlights low on the front fenders and removed the hinge in the hood top and welded the two pieces together to form a solid hood. The hood sides are all smooth units. Possibly aftermarket units. Later a set of louvres was punched into them, but they are not there yet in this photo. This front view also shows that the 1941 Ford bumpers have not yet been installed at this time.

[​IMG]

Another photo that Billy Crewl shared from the Jack Calori Photo Album shows Jack's 1936 Ford from the side when it was still in primer. This photo shows that the hood sides are still smooth and solid and have not been punched with louvres yet. I guess after a while the engine started to run hot and besides the louvres they also added the scoop underneath the grille to be able to cool the engine a bit better. The car is also running without the fender skirts at this point. But since there are no hubcaps on the rear wheels I guess the skirts were always planned, but just not on it in this photo.

[​IMG]

Interior of Jack's 1936 Ford. This photo was taken before the California Auto Top shop did their work in dark red Naugahyde. There are no door panels, and the seat looks to be covered with a blanket or something. but the photo shows that the Ford Crestliner, the Pontiac speaker grille and the Stewart Warner gauges are all already in place. To bad the photo is not so clear, but still very interesting.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok Ok I hear what you're saying. Fine, I'll bid on it, but only because you ask nicely.

Damn it damn it damn it! I don't even know if I COULD own a car that nice.

6. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Alright, you buy and I WIL DRIVE IT!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could but I'm not sure that I wouldn't be afraid to drive it. I went though most of the auction list for today, Friday and Saturday yesterday and there are more really interesting to me cars in that auction than I have seen in one place for a long time. It's a good thing I don't have a ton of money or I'd be either filling my garage or making the guy who outbid me cringe at the price he paid just a bit.

8. williebill

williebill

Thanks,Rik.

I'd kill to own that car,always been a favorite.
    Every HAMBer loan me $5 each,and make my dream come true.

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

I guess I only have a couple of days to win the lottery!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You insure it though....

Could you imagine owning this thing? Like this is your only car so you have to drive it and there you are, out on the interstate or parked in the lot at the local mexican restaurant? Yep there it is, the Calori coupe...... That would be above my comprehension.

11. one of my favorite cars! hope in ends up in a good home

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  12. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would love to see it going down the road

13. I'll be there, but I'm sure it will go over my price ceiling!

14. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Rikster, Thanks for the early primer shots... just a reminder that the cars were drivers and work was done in phases as time and alternate transportation was available...

15. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

it will never be driven...... more than 30 feet

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

You and I both!!

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I don't know - something just doesn't seem right about a car like that going on an auction block. You would think he'd have already had some 'if you ever want to sell it' offers from some heavy hitters, and typically the auction guys don't seem to appreciate customs much.
    It will be interesting to see the high bid - I hope it gets what it deserves.
    And I hope it stays somewhat local, or at least goes to someone who truly appreciates what it is, not someone who will just tuck it away all for themselves.

18. He probably has and is hoping they will all come out and drive the price of the car up trying to out bid one another.

19. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

Im bidding on it...

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The McMullen 32 Roadster is also up for bids at the same auction.

21. I think there has been enough pre auction press on this to bring out the heavy hitters, if not I will get it cheap :)
    Not sure what you mean by "Local" as it has been in Texas for a number of years. I wouldn't be upset if the Peterson gets it.

22. eddie1

eddie1

Loan, hell I'll GIVE you the $5 if I can borrow it for a day. I would love to have that one even if just for 1 day.

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IMHO, one of the greatest Customs ever. It could go for some huge $$$ if several deep pocket guys want it.
    Curious to know if Herb Reneau did any other Customs or was "just" a body man friend of Jacks that knocked one out of the park? If Herb wasn't a Custom builder, he should have been.

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great early shots Rik! Thanks as always. Beautiful!

25. 296ardun

296ardun

I've wondered that myself, know he did the bodywork on the Calori roadster, but never heard if he did other customs...only thing I remember is that he had a dirt-floor shop in Long Beach, and did work slowly but patiently...Rik, do you know?

26. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I guess I just mean, I hope it doesn't disappear after the sale like some cars do. I'd like to think I might see it floating around sometime. But of course, there are custom fans world-wide that also deserve a chance to have it near them as well. Just being selfish.

I just have a negative view of car auctions in general.
    I hate to see a beautiful car being treated as a commodity.

27. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

28. bob-o

bob-o

One of the most perfect customs ever built. Period.

29. autobilly

autobilly

Good luck fellers! At least if it goes to a HAMBer, it's short to mid term future will be assured.

30. richie rebel

richie rebel

yes sir,it is a sweet car