Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics needed of Barris built 'BUSTER LINTON 49 FORD"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny2slick, Sep 7, 2003.

1. We need some snaps of a 1949 Ford club coupe that Barris built for Buster Linton in the early fifties. Anyone got any to post?? Thanks. <font color="red"> </font>

2. Dirk

Dirk

Barris Kustom Techniques of the 50's Volume 1

The book has 3 great pictures of that car. Motorbooks International would have it at 1-800-826-6600. Try a search for their web site as well.

I would post them if I had a scanner.

3. Johnny, here's some info I have on Busters 49.

Barris started the car in 51 for Alan Anderson of Compton, Ca. It was chopped 3 inches in the front and 6 inches at the rear, and made into a hardtop by eliminating the center posts and making the rear quarter windows slide in and out.

Buster Litton then bought the car and in 53 took the car to George Cerny at Cerny's paint and body in Compton.
    It was given 51 Stude front fenders and head lights, the grille was made up of a 53 Chev bar and teeth and 51 Ford spinners on each end. The rear fenders were extended with 51 Olds fenders and tail lights.

It was painted a maroon/bronze lacquer, and may have been repainted at Barris' shop later.

Here is an unpublished photo of Buster's "Panoramic Ford" taken in 54 at a Lynwood, Ca. outdoor show sponsored by the "Southwest Car Club Assoc."

Hope this helps,
    Mick

Attached Files:

4. Dirk

Dirk

Lurker, That picture is amazing!, have any others from that show ( other cars )?

Or any other similar un published shots?

5. poncho

poncho

i think rod and custom did an article on some '50's kustoms they would like to see "cloned"and the linton shoe box was on there list!!i would have to agree on that.its one sweet kustom..i have the article in my "stack'o'mags"but i'll be there all night lookin' for it [​IMG]

6. Thanks for the great photo. What a beautiful car it is. My buddy has a 49 that is waiting to go under the knife and he's contemplating cloning this car. Pictures, however, are in short supply. Yours is much appreciated. Thanks. [​IMG] <font color="black"> </font>

7. Hey I found a couple more unpublished pics of Busters car.

These were shot by Gene Winfield at the 55 Oakland show I believe.

The first is an out of focus 3/4 view.

Attached Files:

8. This pic showa some detail of the grille area. The front of the hood had a 51 Merc hood lip grafted on.

It now is sporting bumper guards and a barris crest.

Gene was a great body and paint man but his photos left a lot to be desired.

Mick

Attached Files:

9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Ohmigod, if I saw this car before I must have forgotten (not unusual). It is right on. I love every part of it that I can see. Please, please please somebody clone this car!!!

10. Sailor

Sailor

Great stuff as allways, Mick, and totally bitchin pics too.

11. That is a very cool custom! Along with the Hirohata Merc and Matranga Merc its right up there!

12. Mick, you got me drooling on my computer...

13. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

As I've mentioned here before, that is my all-time favorite shoebox ford custom...and also one of the only chopped '49-51 coupes with proportions that look "right."

Thanks so much Mick for posting those pics.

14. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I forgot to mention that this car had a Gaylord interior that was supposedly pretty elaborate. In an article printed in R&amp;C, Gaylord was quoted as saying this car had one of the most difficult interiors he ever did. I've never seen a pic of it's interior, though.

I'm still wondering what happened to this car. Mick, do you have any idea of its whereabouts?

15. Sailor

Sailor

I dont know what happened to the car itselfes, but the interior went into Junior Conways shoebox. This is a pic (sorta) of the interior. Wish I had a better one.

Attached Files:

16. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Sailor, what is the date on that Car Craft? I can't quite make it out...and I'm missing that issue from my collection.

That's strange that the interior went into Junior's car. Do you think that means it was wrecked?

17. Sailor

Sailor

No. 12.1953.

I have no idea why Litton sold just the interior. Could be a wreck, or maybe Junior just wanted that particular job real bad just when the look of Littons coupe was beginning to go out of style?

Maybe Mick knows?

18. jamie

jamie

I love threads like this that drag Lurker Mick out of the woodwork, because they're always some bitchin' unseen photos and lots of insight... [​IMG]

Buster Litton's shoebox is one of my all-time favs as well, but I had never seen any of these photos before...

Thanks!

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This is one of my favorite customs too -- certainly the best chopped top on a shoebox coupe -- but I just learned last week of Cerny's part in this car. I had always thought that it was entirely a Barris creation, and many of its most innovative features were apparently Cerny's work.

20. I know Barris said that Buster sold Jr. Conway the interior out of this car, but I really have my doubts.

This is the only half way decent pic of Busters interior I could dig up.
    Mick

Attached Files:

21. This cover shot from the Nov. 57 issue of Custom Cars magazine is the only interior that I ever remember seeing in Jr.'s 49 Ford.

Tony, even though Cerny did the majority of the work on Buster's car, the top chop that Barris did is absolutely perfect.

Mick

Attached Files:

22. Ron

Ron

Great pix and great car, thanks.

23. Sailor

Sailor

Great carS, Per [​IMG]
    (At least I think Juniors Ford is just as cool. That whole frontal threatment and the paintjob really rocks in my book.)

I see what you mean, Mick. Cant be the same.