Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Sectioning A '58 Chevrolet by Gene Winfield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. williebill

williebill

Dammit... California... Tell Gene he can section it in my garage,I'll even supply rhe beer and food. I'd love to sit in on that one.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if my family wants to give me a great birthday gift this year. That sounds like one great class to attend.

Only 969 miles door to door too.

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Having had the opportunity to take one of Genes classes I can say its money well spent! Sounds like its gonna be a blast!

5. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll carpool with ya..

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If you guys decide to go, I will personally pay for one... How's that?

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

looks like its gonna be incredibly cool

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Oh, that rules.. One of my bucket list items.

9. Gerg

Gerg

wow what an opportunity to learn from a great!

10. silent rick

silent rick

somebody should film it.

11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Took his workshop before the Syracuse Nats - stories alone are worth the price of admission!!

12. A Rodder

A Rodder

WOW!
    That is potentially a very very nice Birthday Gift!

Nice of you Ryan

13. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

If I wasn't going to be out of town that weekend, I would definitely be there! I pass Mojave a few times a year on my way from Vegas to Bakersfield to see family but have yet to make the stop. I'm as good as signed up for the next one!

14. I went to a course with Gene near Syracuse this summer, amazing experience. I learned a ton, met good people and got to watch Mr. Winfield do his stuff for 2 days. The guys running that course had trouble filling it, I simply don't understand why guys wouldn't jump at the chance. How many "another old hot rodder is gone" threads have there been in the last year or two? Not too many opportunities left to hang out with one of the old guard.

Most guys his age are whiling away the hours sitting in a rocking chair somewhere, Gene has more energy than anyone and fantastic skills. Hell, just go and listen to him tell stories.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep putting this off, and perhaps I shouldn't any longer. I had the pleasure of working with him on a Ford PU chop at Washtenaw University back in 07. He could outwork guys 1/4 of his age. For those who've never had the opportunity, I can tell you he doesn't talk "over your head" for lack of a better description. He's like any of us here, a real car guy/craftsman.

Just as I was getting ready to hunker down for winter...

16. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

Attended one of Gene's seminars in Spartanburg, S.C. to see how he chopped a '40 Merc coupe. Went home and promptly cut into my '40 Ford coupe. Basic thing I learned from Gene was that we're only dealing with sheet metal, and that stuff can be cut and welded like crazy. See my avatar for the result. Thanks, Gene.

17. That was one of the best things about the course I took. He showed us a lot of stuff we could do with basic tools, and how to make a lot of tools.

18. 'Mo

'Mo

I think his heart is in this one. According to a magazine article, Gene at first refused to paint this
    '58 Chevy unless he sectioned it. So it's been on his mind for a while.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  19. catdad49

catdad49

This is the way I feel. In the past week we lost another icon in Norm Grabowski. If you are able to do this, don't put it off 'til next year/time etc. I wish I could do it, even if I don't have a 58 chevy, Thanks to Ryan and the Jalopy Journal for allowing me to give advice on matters such as this. I be driving my T bucket this weekend, Cat

20. rancid737

rancid737

I also attended one of his classes. Drove all the way from North Idaho to San Jose to attend. Well worth it! Also, for you northwest hamb'rs, we may be hosting Mr. Winfield in the spring at our shop in north idaho. Just waiting for the OK from the boss. Shoot me a PM if your interested, that may convince the boss.

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I've said it before; "he's the Jack Lalane of customizing". He has so much energy and enthusiasm. I'd pay $350 to drink from his fountain of youth!

Man, I've got boiler plate plans that week and am beside myself trying to figure a way out of it.
    At least he's not far from me. I've got to move him WAY up my priority list!

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

tehe, that sounded dirty.

When you guys go to his class make sure to ask him about 4-40 screws. Then ask him where to get 'em, cuz I can't find the damn things anywhere!

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it looks like I'm out, I found out today that I have to be in Spokane at 08:00 on the 19th for a required attendance workshop/meeting for work.

I'm up for the next one on the west coast though.

24. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

Is there a schedule somewhere of his seminars? Couldn't find anything on the Net... or does he plan them one at a time?

25. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Went to his class at Mercury Charlies in Austin a few weeks ago. Loved every minute of it. He's a great guy and an excellent teacher. Don't miss a chance to learn from one of the best.

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Definately been on my list? Just has not happened yet.

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Well, that sucks! I would have loved to go to that. Someone tell me when Gene hosts another workshop next time in Austin so I can have an excuse to head south.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. Rockin' good news.

29. Looks like there is a flight out this winter for me...he'll just to be in his presents and the plus is to learn so much.

30. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

So how much do you need to know going into one of his classes? I've got one vo-tech welding class and some trial and error with my mig. Would love to just get to watch and listen but I don't want to be the guy holding things back by not knowing some basic skills.