Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nor Cal ROADSTER RUN - My EDITORIAL Piece and Pics Kudos to RED BEARD For Organizing!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Aug 31, 2012.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't often share my monthly article (Low Down) on here, but I thought maybe some of you would dig this month's...

Just What I needed!

I’m writing this Low Down just a week after returning from two weeks on the road attending our Des Moines and Columbus events. Two stunners that included a four-day cruise between them. It was on the verge of miserably hot for much of that two weeks and full-blown miserable for some. Heat like that takes a lot out of you when your job is to be outside shooting photos of cars, even when you enjoy what you’re doing. Also, while being immersed in cars for two whole weeks is awesome, it’s always nice to get home to the family that you miss.

After extended work trips I always try to spend the next weekend at home just hanging out. This past weekend started off that way, with plans to help my wife in the yard and spend time with my seven-year-old daughter. That’s how Saturday went, we got all of the flowerbeds in the back yard ready for next weekend’s petting zoo birthday party. A full day of working in the sun, spreading manure and bark. OK, so I jumped in and out of the house hitting the Internet while my wife spent nearly every minute sprucing up the yard, but I did actually help.

That evening I got a phone call from my friend Matt Seret who was calling to R.S.V.P. for the upcoming kids party. We hadn’t talked in a few weeks so we swapped stories of what we’d been up to until he mentioned the Northern California Roadster Run, a reliability run for 1936 and earlier roadsters with 1953 and earlier engines, that was coming up the next morning. I’d forgotten all about it even though I had sworn months before that I’d have my modified ready for the run. Crap! I truly wanted to drive on this one. Thankfully, Matt invited me to ride with him in his Model A roadster pickup. I immediately accepted. My wife would have to finish the yard without me. Sorry, honey.

The run is one of two that Dave Bautista organizes each year, and believe me, they are not for the feint of heart or those who baby their rides, and Matt and his well-aged and flathead-powered roadster pickup fit the bill perfectly. Dave’s flyer says “It is NOT a Sunday cruise in the country at parade speeds. It will put your car to the test. Up and down mountains, around hairpin turns, through some of the best scenery our country has to offer. It is what these cars are made for… driving!” With requirements like only steel bodies, no disc brakes and no radial tires, among others, it’s a true test of man and machine.

The alarm clock did its thing at 5:15AM and I was on the road to Matt’s shop in Vallejo by 5:30. We hit the highway just after 6:00 for the hour and a half drive just to get to the starting point of the run in Healdsburg – a reliability run in itself just getting there.

Dave was waiting with coffee and donuts as usual as the roadsters started arriving. This is not a huge gathering, with only seven brave souls and their passengers willing to take the 150-mile test. The group was made up of three ‘32s and four Model As ranging from fully painted show pieces to well-patina’d traditional rods. Everyone was ready, including Dave who had just finished his latest roadster just a couple days prior. He is a master of flathead powered period-perfect hot rods, so there was little doubt in my mind that he’d have no problem leading the way all day.

When 8:00 came, we called it good, packed up and followed Dave out of the town square headed for parts unknown – to Matt and I at least. We first headed north toward redwood country as the sun started to shine on 14 happy roadster riders. Never hitting the main highway, we headed for country roads and, as the flyer stated, it was no leisurely drive. Dave’s lack of mercy for his car, one breakdown and having to navigate through a sea of bicycles participating in a race on public roads, we lost a few cars before the first gas stop.

Waiting in the station’s lot, we drew a lot of attention, especially from the vanload of Amish teens that had stopped for gas and breakfast. After a while the others caught up and we all unbundled as the temperature and sun rose. Without much more delay we were off again down the sunny two-lane road.

That sun didn’t last long though as we watched a soupy fogbank loom closer and closer as we paralleled a river and the edge of the redwood forest. Seeing what was ahead we stopped and put our jackets and hats back on, made a left over the river and headed uphill into the thick, dark redwoods.

Living in Northern California for as long as I have, for some reason I have never been through the dense redwood forests the area is so famous for. All I can say is that it was stunning and prehistoric. The smell, fresh air and experience were fantastic. Being in the middle of six flathead-powered topless hot rods tearing through the woods on a winding two-lane road was exciting and inspiring!

The line of six didn’t last long though as the three “least polished” roadsters left the painted set in the dust. Dave was again putting his and the braver roadsters to the test. I was actively anticipating the curves and holding on accordingly while Matt was getting a serious workout sawing on the banjo wheel I’d given him for a previous project, keeping the roadster pickup from plunging over the side and into the Jurassic pit of vegetation on either side. Even if we would have gone over, we’d have died happy!

It felt like we were tearing over the knotted road at breakneck speeds when in reality we were going roughly the same pace as what little regular traffic we encountered. It just felt like we were on the edge, and, for the 80-year-old technology we were straining, we were, and it was awesome!

The best times were when we were the only cars in sight. It was easy to imagine it was the first half of the last century and we were pushing the limits of the latest technology. The sights and sounds were as period correct as you could hope for and I know every person on the run was imagining the same thing – we had gone back in time.

After some time, we popped out of the sea of redwoods and made a left, heading south just feet from the towering cliffs that fell into the churning Pacific Ocean. Looking over the side through the coastal fog I could just make out the breaking waves far below. We zigzagged as Highway 1 closely paralleled the shoreline, in and out of driftwood-filled coves with wave-lapped rocky outcroppings. Realizing that the scenery had changed radically once again I was very appreciative of the work Dave had gone to planning this route. It was truly stunning.

Our stomachs began to tell us that we were coming up on midday as we rolled into a tiny coastal town and to the BBQ joint where Dave had made reservations. It was a great little place filled with locals and decorated with signed dollar bills stapled all over the ceiling by previous visitors. I even caught sight of a bill from New Zealand that made me remember my two incredible hot rod visits to that spectacular place.

The stragglers had caught up and we were all seated, ready for some barbeque as we started talking about the drive so far. As you can imagine everyone was all smiles and in high spirits. A drive like this in cars like these is better than any drug.

After lunch we headed over to a small local art museum tucked into the heavy redwoods that was featuring two Kent Fuller vehicles – a flathead-powered streamliner and a Volksrod. We spent thirty minutes or so trying to figure out how one was supposed to drive the land speed car. Someone finally got brave enough to open the hatch revealing the cramped quarters and the mirrored periscope viewing setup. Boy, that car would take some getting used to.

We got rolling once again and soon took a turnoff onto what quickly became a single lane road winding back up into the redwoods. We only met with a couple other vehicles that had to pull into the weeds to let the caravan of old tin pass. The dense grove eventually opened up into hilltops with long views of the countryside, still a single lane and now making it’s way through open range cattle grazing. The cows didn’t seem to realize how good a time we were having as we passed them just feet from the road.

We stopped at the sunny peak for a quick photo op and to lose our warm clothes once again. The road was ill-kept and was a real test of these cars as we headed down the other side. Potholes, poor repairs and 180-degree turns made it obvious why this road was not well traveled.

After what seemed like 1000 turns we spilled out next to the Russian River just outside of Guerneville and finished our run at a great old tavern for a beer and a respite. Matt and I didn’t stay long as we still had a long drive back to his shop and then home. Though still in good spirits from an awesome day, we were tired from the drive and the sun was now beating down on us with 90-degree temperatures as we headed home.

After abandoning the main highway because of the Sunday evening traffic in favor of more country two-lanes, we finally made it back to Matt’s shop to stash the roadster pickup. We talked for just a few minutes as I checked out his road race roadster project and then headed home.

It had been a full 14-hour day and I was beat. Beat, but very happy. I spend a lot of time around old cars. I see more in a year than most people on the planet, but I don’t get to drive and ride in them often enough. Getting to ride along for this reliability run poured more fuel on the fire that is my hot rod passion. It was just what I needed!

OK, pics, finally...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was well before the recent 40-cent hike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. Great write up. Get togethers where the rods are given a workout are my fav.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Fantastic read man, as someone who has been on Daves runs as a passenger & pilot reading that reminded me of how much fun it really is. Truly the best time ever driving mine or riding along with others.....

5. bonesy

bonesy

Wow - very inspirational!

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"The cows didn’t seem to realize how good a time we were having as we passed them just feet from the road."

yeah, if it doesn't involve eating or pooping, cows just don't seem interested.

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That small journey sounds breathtakingly incredible. I must make that drive one day..

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Nice writing Kirk, I haven't read anything that good in a long time. Thanks for letting us ride along and looking forward to pics.

9. WOW!
    Thanks.
    Later,
    Dick

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

OK, pics posted....finally!

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Livin' the dream.

12. McFly

McFly

Great read Kirk! It looks like it was a blast. Norcal has some beautiful sites.

13. KIRK! - Nice write up and pics ... You should consider a career as an "Editor-In-Chief" and/or the "Creative Director" for an Automotive publication! :rolleyes:

14. ryno

ryno

great story, and thanks for the pics

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Pictures.. Drool.

16. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

17. Very Cool!!! Thanks.

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

that was fun...thanks man

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Nah.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Pinewood

Pinewood

Dave's the man! He's here in Minneapolis to help us with the Messaround this weekend. Come down and meet him.

Thanks for the story Kirk.

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Cool!

22. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Dude,

As the owner/driver/builder of one of the “painted” roadsters I was amazed to find out I was participating in the “Northern California Roadster Race”. As Dave said in his post on my brother’s thread about the run, and as you repeatedly mentioned in your well-written missive, you left our poor machines in your dust. This could have been due to superior craftsmanship in the building of the cars, or perhaps a product of finely honed driving skills. I really kind of doubt it though. I will admit I did not push my machine or me very hard. As the car only had twelve miles on the road prior to the run I wanted to learn of its capabilities, both good and bad. To me, it was a fairly complex car and I had some reservations on the combination of parts I used. Even though I have continuously driven, built, and cursed flathead powered cars since 1969 when I drove my 39 Woodie to high school, I am somewhat cautious when evaluating a fresh car. Many of the components such as the Kinmonts, Columbia, SCoT blower, dirt track tires, 34 steering, etc. come with questions. I thought it would be great to test them on the reliability run. Rats, I should have done my break-in earlier as I really was not expecting a competition. Besides, it’s a nice car. I felt no real need to pound it into the ground on its first ride. Time and age will take its toll; there is no hurry to turn it into an unfinished car.
    I won’t dwell on the bravery of the drivers other than to mention that there is a line between being foolish and “brave” while driving in public. Decades ago I learned that lesson. Driving on the forgotten roads of Northern California at high rates of speed used to be sport for my friends and I. The romance of “Even if we would have gone over, we’d have died happy” makes good copy. However, after you find yourself in the position of running towards the cloud of impenetrable dust wondering if your best friend and his pregnant wife landed on their wheels or roof, in or out of the lake, or on the canyon wall you loose your apatite for being too immature in your driving.
    Anyway, you win. PM me your address and I will send you your trophy.

See you on the next run, Bruce

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

Wow, you really read something into my piece that wasn't there. No one was competing, nor did I mean to imply that they were. It's called creative license. You see, the idea is to keep people interested in what you are saying by making it sound exciting. I was simply stating the facts with the enthusiasm that I felt that day, not writing a dry corporate report.

All three of the drivers I mentioned are seasoned roadster/hot rod drivers, especially Dave, and I have never seen him as the type of man to take unintelligent chances. At no point in the run did I feel unsure about my safety or the ability of the drivers or their cars, but that's not to say that I wasn't excited the entire time like a kid on an amusement park ride. That excitement comes from spending a day with likeminded friends doing what we are all passionate about.

I'll mention that I thought your car was incredible, but I'm now far less interested in it somehow.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kirk, thanks for taking the time to write an article and doing justice to a great event.

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

It was great to see you, it's been a while. Good luck finishing your degree!

26. 510madmav

510madmav

damn.. one day soon

27. Some of the best writing and photo coverage I've seen on here......ever!

You can hear the exhaust, smell the fluids, and the surrounding geography, and feel the wind coming past the windshields!

Please don't let this be the last of your efforts.

Thanks for your sharing.

28. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Great write up KIRK! I went on the Reliability Run. Them boys can really tear up the roads! I got up front near the end and had a hell of a time keeping up. Was the most fun I've had in the ol' coupe yet!

29. autobilly

autobilly

Great scenic roads and bitchen roadsters in which to appreciate it, thanks for the post KIRK!