Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to convert your 8BA Oil Bath Air Filter to Paper/Dry type

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IowaMercMan, Aug 25, 2012.

1. on my 31AV8PU project, I want to keep the oil bath air cleaner.

Before cutting into mine, I searched and read how other guys have done it. I thought I could improve upon the ones I saw. So here it is.

Here's the inner and outer housings, and the airfilter that I found will work. STP 146 : 8" diameter, 3" high. Cross reference info: Wix 42011 / Napa 2011; Motorcraft FA8R. This fits a ton of 70s-80s MOPAR applications. Tell the kid behind the counter with the computer you have a 1980 Plymouth Volare with the 225 L6 1-barrel.

[​IMG]

1. Cut the bottom pan off the inner housing. You won't need it- I threw mine away but you will probably keep it.
    [​IMG]

it looks like this now.
    [​IMG]

2. cut out the bottom framework that holds all that meshy oily stinkin' stuff.
    [​IMG]

dig all the innards out and throw them away.
    [​IMG]

3. measure up about 3/8" from the bottom of the remaining housing, and slice it off. I used a cutting wheel. Keep this, it will become the base for the paper filter.
    [​IMG]

2. 4. Then measure down 1 1/2" from the top flange (still on the inside housing), and slice it off.
    You're going to flange this, about 1/4" will be flanged inward. The flange will become the top seal on the air filter. Like this:
    [​IMG]

I used this high-tech flanging tool. Just a piece of flat stock with a slice in it the same depth as the desired width of the flange.
    [​IMG]

Take your time and work the flanging tool to bend the housing, a little at a time, and moving around the circumference as you go. Stop periodically and use your hammer and dolly to carefully keep things straight. No need to go caveman, a light touch is all you need.

5. Now we'll use that piece we set aside in Step 3, and make the filter base. We're doing this so we have a good flat surface for the filter to set in, and create a good seal so air and dirt don't sneak around the filter.

I didn't take a photo here, so use your imagination. You'll need to take about 1/4" out of the ring from the inner housing, so it will force-fit into the bottom of the outer housing. Then I used a thick bed of PC7 epoxy to "weld" this ring into the bottom of the housing. You could weld it but I was looking for a absolutely tight seal. Plus I weld like shit.
    here it is with the epoxy setting up: it's a little messy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  3. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

4. 6. after the epoxy sets, clean it up. I used a fiber wheel, and a flapper.
    [​IMG]

7. use a piece of vacuum hose, slit along its length, to create the top seal. fit it around the flange you created in the top piece.
    [​IMG]

A little paint, a sorta-kinda period-correct decal, and voila!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

5. I hope you're not lost! I'm no tech writer but this couldnt be much simpler. What makes mine different from the others I saw was the effort I went to for a real tight seal around the paper filter. I'm confident no dirt can sneak around it.

6. Nice job. Looks like it will seal it up well with the hose trick. PC7 works good and will not release easily from my experience.

7. Incarnation

Incarnation

No gains for the time and money spent.
    Also, not period correct.
    Paper elements weren't invented until post 65.

8. woodbox

woodbox

Hey man! Great tech article! I have looking for a way of doing exactly that for some time now. Well done.
    When you post your pictures from p-bucket I have found that if you open the picture in P-B full size then right click on the picture and 'Copy', then on your Hamb thread right click and 'Paste'. the pictures in your post will be full size and you don't have to upload them.
    Cool post!

9. I don't really care about the period correct part since the filter is hidden, but yeah, I gotta ask, what's the benefit? Not trying to troll, but I've always understood oil baths were more efficient than paper?

10. Thanks for the feedback, and for the pointers on photo-posting. . It has been widely debated whether oil or paper are more efficient, and you'll find arguments to support both sides. In my mind the difference can't possibly be significant or measurable. For me, the gain is convenience and cleanliness.

As for authenticity and period-correctness: you are absolutely right. If you want a debate, you won't find it here. I was simply trying to help guys who want to attempt the same thing, for their own reasons.

pecker head likes this.
  11. 13 posts and this is what you did with them?

12. walls

walls

I've always ended up with oil on my intake and engine somehow. It just seems to happen. Just that's enough reason for me.

13. swissmike

swissmike

Nice job!
    If oil bath cleaners are so superior why don't all new performance cars use them? End of argument.

14. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Thanks for posting this... Nice job. Figuring this out has been on my "to-do" list for a while, and you just helped me save a lot of time! Filter part numbers and everything.... awesome.

15. Brian C

Brian C

Well THAT was certainly helpful............

We did a similar modification a few years ago to the oil bath filter in our '47 Ford Pickup with a 59AB in it. It was definitely easier to maintain and MUCH less mess in the engine bay.

Nice work!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  16. BJR

BJR

Who made you, a FNG, the tech police?

17. Because paper is cheaper?

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There's another thread on this conversion that is so much simpler, even a Caveman can do it and posted by RustyFords. It's titled "Oil Bath Air-Cleaner to Paper Filter conversion.

19. bonesy

bonesy

20. I guess my 1964 Mercury was a time machine what with its "uninvented" paper air filter there Einstein.

To the OP. Great tech airticle. Oil bath or paper debate aside, it's a good way to make your car more servicable hence more drivable and that is a good thing.

21. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Im going to do the same. Thanks for posting this!!

22. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

1957 Ford had paper element. 1959 Plymouth had paper element. I'm sure others did also.

23. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

'57 Pontiac tri-power has a paper element! Well before 1965!

24. silversink

silversink

JC Whitney had paper available in the 57 cat. I have---so there were aftermarket's avail.

25. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the thread. I know what I can do with the housing I have out the back of the shed.
    Thanks again,
    Michael

26. jimbousman

jimbousman

Here's some photos of what I did with the air cleaner for my "A" coupe. In the end I powder coated it and ran a fine brass mess in the top to hide the paper filter.

Attached Files:

27. jimbousman

jimbousman

Oil bath air cleaners were OK for small CFM carbs on stock engines. You run high volume, high CFM carbs on a performance motor and they star losing their effectiveness.

28. Roger53

Roger53

Hey me likes looks damn good !;) Keep them ideas a comin likes me does read all that I can. :D

29. Roger53

Roger53

This is a really good looking job in my humble selfs way of thinkin.:D Now I must get back at it! Roger

30. I'm on the hunt for a couple matching old oil bath cleaners I can cut up to use for my dual AFBs on my old Pontiac engine. Nice tech tip..thanks