Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A wood header (metal over??)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boxcar's 1928, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

I'm sorry, but I have no idea of the proper name for the metal piece that mounts over the front header... Here's the issue. It seems that the design of the piece will not allow complete coverage of the oak header beneath. We did take a sander to the leading edge of the header to see if the profile change would cause it to cover more....decided that we'd have to take a hand wood plane to it to do it better. But, in looking at how the outside is keeping this standoff...I'm guessing that's just the way it is.

Comments??? mess with it or heck with it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

That's what mine looked like too. Once the visor is on, you don't see it.

3. a piece of fender welting along the top edge of the steel, and sitting proud of the top of the wood will form a "seal" and finish it off.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does the visor mount below? I forget...

If so, I do think the top mat'l goes on 1st. That being the case, you'd need to have some exposed wood to tack it. I'm a little foggy on the 28-9 details. I know the visors are also covered and none of it really means anything if you're moddin anyway.

5. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Thanks all...makes sence that it could have been used as a nailer. Then the visor riding underneath finishes it all off.

While I'm asking questions... What is the choice of material for the seam between the cowl and the body. Or General Model A "how to seal out water" lotsa potential leak points on this car.

thanks

6. fender welting will work, painted the same color so it disappears. you can cut the bead off if you don't like the look, or use seam sealer and tool it smooth.

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Mine showed a little wood, but not that much. Keep trimming the wood. Be sure to use a good sealer all along the header. When you drive in rain the air will push the water up and into the seam where it will soak up into the wood and into your headliner. You don't want that wood to rot out again or stain your fabric.

8. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

thanks guys....good call on both counts

9. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Any pics out there of those that removed this all together...cut it all back and moved the visor up????
    thanks

10. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

bump for visor mods.....

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I believe that particular piece is part of the charm of the 28-29 coupes and sedans.....

Attached Files:

12. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Fair enough...I see it as an un-wanted line. Different strokes.