Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
41woodie

Default Re: Forward Motion Picture

DMV = Walmart with government management
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #22
NoSurf
Alliance Member

LOL.

One more reason I love living in rural Kansas. No DMV. I go to the county treasurer's office and the nice ladies ask me as soon as I walk in "can I help you sir?" Usually takes about 5 minutes to register some old tin with an antique plate that you only pay for once.

Massachusetts DMV sucks
Connecticut DMV really sucks
Rhode Island DMV is the worst in the country by far.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
dustdevil
Alliance Member

interesting, I never knew how but always have drawn motion cars like that. cool post, too bad you'll have to make a new one before you'll be out of the dmv. ha ha

wanted:::32 Plymouth pb garnish moldings

My gas station build::
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=163787
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
nfleone
FNG

One of my 90+ year old customers related this to me.
At 16 he goes down to the equivalent of DMV in Louisiana .
His father is with him. My customer is there to get his first drivers license.
They approach the clerk. The clerk looks up and asks "Can he drive" The father answers" Sure he can". The clerk fills out the paperwork and hands him the drivers lic.
No test. At 90+ he has never taken a driving test, written or on the road.

Nick
Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #25
HEMI32
Old School HAMBer

Ryan - Interesting post! ... reminded me of this circa 1911 photograph of Bob Burman and his "Blitzen Benz" on the beach in Daytona:

Photo from the Library of Congress flickr photostream ... click HERE for larger
image ... and/or checkout my Bob Burman & his "Blitzen Benz" ... PICS!!! thread.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #26
HEMI32
Old School HAMBer

Not a vintage photograph of a race car ... but here's a 3 minute long video clip from a DMV office surveillance camera:

Pay close attention at around the 1:32 mark of the video ... you can clearly see that the clerk behind counter #3 actually does move!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
gnichols
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmullette View Post
yes, ryan, the dmv here in fla. is hell, to renew a fla. license you need, a certified copy of birth certificate, social security card, some other form of picture i.d., and this is the best, an electric bill ??? if you are a women you will also need a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree.......
I just did mine on-line, no probs. Never went, never smelled any thing, never got my shoes dirty. Gary
Old 02-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #28
Sweepspear
Grenade Inspector

Thumbs up Re: Forward Motion Picture

I was just pondering this in my head yesterday while looking at a photo over at the Old Motor website of an old race car in motion. "How dey do dat?"

Thanks for the explanation Ryan! Makes perfect sense now.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
Dan Warner

Cool - I too was always interested in how that worked. Not enough to search the answer out. I don't think that I was on board in '07, I don't remember this subject before.

The chief of LAPD now wants to grant rights to unlicensed drivers so a trip to DMV is no longer required.

DW

Plan B includes wine
Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI32 View Post
Not a vintage photograph of a race car ... but here's a 3 minute long video clip from a DMV office surveillance camera:

Pay close attention at around the 1:32 mark of the video ... you can clearly see that the clerk behind counter #3 actually does move!
Still not far off of reality, but the "video" seems to just be a photo. I waited until at least 1:50 and never saw anything change.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #31
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSurf View Post
LOL.

One more reason I love living in rural Kansas. No DMV. I go to the county treasurer's office and the nice ladies ask me as soon as I walk in "can I help you sir?" Usually takes about 5 minutes to register some old tin with an antique plate that you only pay for once.

Massachusetts DMV sucks
Connecticut DMV really sucks
Rhode Island DMV is the worst in the country by far.
Same here, walk right up to the window, my only gripe is the 30 mile scenic drive through Custer State Park to get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Warner View Post
Cool - I too was always interested in how that worked. Not enough to search the answer out. I don't think that I was on board in '07, I don't remember this subject before.

The chief of LAPD now wants to grant rights to unlicensed drivers so a trip to DMV is no longer required.

DW
Um, Dan? Look under your name, you registered here in 04
Old 02-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #32
jerry sezar

I must have missed the old thread on the photography.......Kool, always thought it was some early trick photo processing. I have actually had my '28 roadster kind of look like that in my earlier years when my front frame horn's hit the square curb and everything above the frame, me included, would kinda angle forword.

The DMV out here is tuff too. Wasn't always that way. When I was 12, my dad let me and my younger brother buy a '28 Ford roadster. We purchased it on a Sunday and I rode my bike to the DMV on Monday, requested a moving permit, and re-registered the car. Me and my younger brother then rode to Hayward, the previous owner showed us how it ran, put our bikes in the back and I drove it home. I still have the car and several year's back I overlooked paying the license fee. I was coming home from a Goodguys event and the CHP let me know of the infraction. I went to the DMV and the drama started........$700.00 plus see a SMOG referee. Pissed me off..........so pissed I let it go another two years, went again to start over and another $900.00........I kinda went crazy.....er and they finally dropped it to $480.00 but still want me to go to the smog ref......come on I've had this car since 1959. Some of us need to become politicians and change a few laws.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #33
northern skink

Nope, it's a video. Otherwise it'd be a joke so subtle it would require explanation.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #34
Beach Bum

One of my all-time favorite photos....

Photo by Jacques Henri Lartigue - 1913

Kurt O.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #35
Jobe

Here is a link I found with a simple made explanation.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=31903
Old 02-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #36
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

Talking Re: Forward Motion Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harms Way View Post
A little O/T true DMV story to make you laugh next time you find yourself in line there.

My best friends brother Ian, was standing in line at the DMV on a busy day in metro Detroit with his three small kids,.. Just about any given day you'll find at least a 45 minute wait with a lot of folks in line.

Well the kids are getting restless, as kids do,... and finally after an hour in line,Ian finds himself next to be waited on,.. He has both hands full of paperwork and three little kids all around him,.... All eyes were on the guy that would be next !

Just as the Lady say "Next !",... His 6 year old son decides to pull himself up by Ian's back pockets,... This didn't work out so well, as he actually "Pants-ed" Him right there in front of everybody !!!!!,.... Now Ian had both hands full of paperwork, And his pants around his ankles,........

The entire place exploded in laughter!,... So Ian had to bend down and lay his paperwork on the floor, Before he could pull up his pants,... As he started to raise his trousers,.. He realized he had to unbuckle his belt and unzip before he could get them all the way up. Did I mention he was at the front of the line ???

Anyway,.. He puts himself back together,.. gathers up his paperwork and his children,.. Walks up to the window,... and the lady was laughing so hard she was crying,.. so he had to stand there in total embarrassment and wait until she could compose herself enough to take care of him.

As he went to leave, she said, "Come back anytime,.... And bring the kids",... He said people were still laughing as he left. He told me not to tell anybody,... so keep this to yourself.
Now that's some funny shit there.... Poor guy!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #37
Bluedot
Grenade Inspector

RE the photo effect, it makes me wonder if the camera was held upside down, would the car then appear to lean backward. Hmmm

And RE somebody's post on the Connecticut DMV, x2 on that. I live in OK now, but still remember my adventure with the CT DMV some 45 years ago. Kinda nice that they let the mental patients out for a day job.

We have it pretty good in Oklahoma - a set-up called "tag agencies". They are private outfits contracted by the state. We get our vehicle titles, plates, and license renewals there. There are a lot of them, and they compete for business (capitalism works!), so most of them are pretty darned nice. If ya don't like one, you just go to another. And some are more vintage car friendly than others.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #38
weez

What a happy accident that the "foreword leaning photo" phenomena matches our cartoon concept of what a fast moving object looks like, or did we get that collective idea from seeing the photos?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
sko_ford
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41woodie View Post
DMV = Walmart with government management
I would say government with Walmart management
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdesq View Post
Grind until bitchin
Old 02-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #40
MUNDSTER
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
What a happy accident that the "foreword leaning photo" phenomena matches our cartoon concept of what a fast moving object looks like, or did we get that collective idea from seeing the photos?
I wondered/thought the same thing.