Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
applekrate

Default Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Wanted to start this thread as I like to hike and explore all over our state. Like exploring old hiways, finding abandoned cars and mines and whatever.
So far, have found at least 20 of them from the teens through the 70s.

If you know of any abandoned and wrecked cars around, please post also. You do not have to say where they are unless you wish to.
Personally, these things have been sitting for so long, it is best to just leave them for the next guy to explore.

Will start out with a '53 or '54 Chev coupe.

www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
ZZ-IRON
Alliance Member

Default Re: Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

I never get tired of looking at old iron out west keep posting

In your album, this your yard ? more photos of the yard would be cool

Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
38fordpickup
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Sad to see the '53-'54 Chevy all mashed up like it is, especially since it's a 2 door hardtop. Might be able to save the driver's door and dash.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
BeatnikPirate

Here's a few that I came across in Az. A great place for old iron!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jse_IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	2853
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1559040   Click image for larger version

Name:	jse_IMG_2923.jpg
Views:	2060
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1559042   Click image for larger version

Name:	jse_IMG_2924.jpg
Views:	1975
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1559043  

Name:	jse_IMG_2972.jpg
Views:	1982
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1559044   Click image for larger version

Name:	jse_IMG_2545.jpg
Views:	2080
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1559045   Click image for larger version

Name:	jse_IMG_2544.jpg
Views:	2511
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1559046  

Name:	jse_IMG_2538.jpg
Views:	1629
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1559048  

Last edited by BeatnikPirate; 02-09-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

I too have done lots of the same, but never thought to photograph any of them. I used to hike ghost towns a bunch here in the state and where ever there was activity about 80 - 100 years ago, there usually is car stuff laying around. Even just off our main hiways too. Most people never notice as they drive from Cordes junction to Prescott that they pass a '48 Plymouth and a '48 Olds in the wash at Big Bug. Both are about the same shape as the Chevy above, but the Plymouth has given some of it's trim to my car over the years.

I won't tell where, but up near Jerome, there is a an arroyo that has tons of teens and twenties stuff down at the bottom. Again, nothing nice enough to polish up and drag home and call something, but most of my "T" touring body has come from there.

Dateland AZ. Ya gotta peal yourself away from the date shakes at the retaurant, but there is a feild of cars out there too. Mostly '40s '50s stuff, and again, not real saveable but good for parts.

The '42 Ford in Tacna that most people drive by everyday, The model "A" roadster pick up dissassembled in an Ajo front yard on the main street. The entire town of Owl, if you can find it... Oh, and the owner way over values everything.

There is a whole canyon of 50's cars down near St. David

A couple of shots above were from Salome.

The "T" C-cabs sitting in Roll...

Truth is, it's not just Arizona, it's everywhere. You just have to look these days, 'cause it's just flat not sitting out in the open like it was a generation ago.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

A few near Benson, this was 4 years ago...not sure if they're still around.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
El Hueso

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Ouch!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
SAM123

Some folks probably dont understand the ravages of flashfloods which are common in the desert. Most cars in these pics wereprobably either washed away in floods or put there by humans for flood control. Possibly a few were actual results of wrecks, .. plummeling off the road above.

... gotta have the bullet holes! Great thread.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-IRON View Post
I never get tired of looking at old iron out west keep posting

In your album, this your yard ? more photos of the yard would be cool

Yes, this is my stuff at one of my yards. Have 2 now and slowly moving everything to the new place. Thisyard is for sale less the inventory.
These cars are not abandoned though.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
applekrate

What a great start for this thread!

Here is what I think is a '37 Ford coupe. If any of you can id it differenty, let me know.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
applekrate

This is something we found yesterday during an extensive hike we call 'auto archeology'. This was in the Salt River Canyon area in Gila county.

Does anyone know what it is? Late 40s is my guess.

If anyone here in Arizona likes to hike and explore old cars, mines and buildings, contact me.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by applekrate View Post
Wanted to start this thread as I like to hike and explore all over our state. Like exploring old hiways, finding abandoned cars and mines and whatever.
So far, have found at least 20 of them from the teens through the 70s.

If you know of any abandoned and wrecked cars around, please post also. You do not have to say where they are unless you wish to.
Personally, these things have been sitting for so long, it is best to just leave them for the next guy to explore.

Will start out with a '53 or '54 Chev coupe.

I see a floor panel patch I could use!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
This is something we found yesterday during an extensive hike we call 'auto archeology'. This was in the Salt River Canyon area in Gila county.

If anyone here in Arizona likes to hike and explore old cars, mines and buildings, contact me.
Mercury
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
1950coronet600hp

did ya ever get any pics of the old yard by the middle school? I never did and now ferris completely cleaned it out... oh well, another spot for cool cars languishing is in Jerome AZ, I used to live there there all over the place.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
slicknapier
Grenade Inspector

Cool thread! Thanks for posting. Squirrell I'm from Benson and have never seen that stash. Where the heck were you?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Squirrel, that was the canyon of cars I refered to as being near St. David... Guess it is closer to Benson.

T-man, funny you should say that about patches, 'cause that's what we have alot of! Ask ElPolacko about us driving to Needles California to take a front clip off of a '46 Fordor sedan from public land in broad daylight... He tells the story better than I do!

Along the same lines, when I was a kid in the late seventies and had a '35 5window with some floor rust, there was a '35 tudor sedan rolled over in a wash in Yarnell AZ., right on hiway 89. You couldn't miss it! Took my mom's ElCamino and my mini torches one day, drove up, torched the floor out, threw it in the back of the cruck, drove home and transplanted! All this tranpired by the side of a semi major hiway... And I didn't even have a driver's license yet!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
oj
Alliance Member

Outside of Showlow, the main highway and can't recall the name but it is like you are heading twards New Mexico, there is a long sweeping curve that replaced a hard left turn. The hard left turn had a gas station at the point of the turn - all of that is now abandoned and the original road is still kinda there. Behind the station and seperated by some woods was a large junkyard. None of it can be seen from the highway. When i lived in White River a friend took me there as i was looking for stuff for a '34 chevy. We walked thru those trees and the first thing i saw was a model 't' rpu near the end of the woods, when i walked into the field beyond all i could see was abandoned cars. All i remember were cars from the 30's and 40's layin all over the place, i recall a '40 coupe layin on its' roof missing the rear axle.
That was the time that Pete (who showed me the place) had reached down into the brush to pull a part out and a black widow spider hopped onto his arm and was walking up it. Pete had only 1 arm and couldn't flick the damn thing off and about passed out from huffing and puffing trying to blow it off and trying not to piss him off enough to bite him.
If anybody knows how to do the satillite view thing it would be nice to know if the junkyard is still there. There was a ton of old tin in it back in the late '70's.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj View Post
Outside of Showlow, the main highway and can't recall the name but it is like you are heading twards New Mexico, there is a long sweeping curve that replaced a hard left turn. The hard left turn had a gas station at the point of the turn - all of that is now abandoned and the original road is still kinda there. Behind the station and seperated by some woods was a large junkyard. None of it can be seen from the highway. When i lived in White River a friend took me there as i was looking for stuff for a '34 chevy. We walked thru those trees and the first thing i saw was a model 't' rpu near the end of the woods, when i walked into the field beyond all i could see was abandoned cars. All i remember were cars from the 30's and 40's layin all over the place, i recall a '40 coupe layin on its' roof missing the rear axle.
That was the time that Pete (who showed me the place) had reached down into the brush to pull a part out and a black widow spider hopped onto his arm and was walking up it. Pete had only 1 arm and couldn't flick the damn thing off and about passed out from huffing and puffing trying to blow it off and trying not to piss him off enough to bite him.
If anybody knows how to do the satillite view thing it would be nice to know if the junkyard is still there. There was a ton of old tin in it back in the late '70's.
If I am looking in the right spot from your description it is all houses.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
Nick Flores

Cool stuff guys! I'd gladly tag along on any expedition into the desert if anybody's going. Here's a thread I started awhile back about some stuff I found out in the eastern part of the state.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=443990
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950coronet600hp View Post
did ya ever get any pics of the old yard by the middle school? I never did and now ferris completely cleaned it out... oh well, another spot for cool cars languishing is in Jerome AZ, I used to live there there all over the place.
Ferris kept most of that stuff and I got one out of that batch myself from him. You can guess what make it was

HEY, it's my 1,000th post whoopie!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
roughneck424
Alliance Member

Quote:
Just click and drag the mouse to move the map and use the zoom
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Show+L...izona&t=h&z=13

Mom was right!!
I am going blind!!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Sauli
Grenade Inspector

Quote:

Wow!!! Thatīs a 1960 Impala Sport Coupe Hardtop erected on top of that pile! Even though the roof is shot full of holes, just looking at the pristine trunk floor, trunk channels and quarter panels, that body shell sure would make someone somewhere with a similar-year rusty convertible happy!

The same goes for the ī59 Buick further down Your original post, as well.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
applekrate

Quote:
That would be hwy 60 from Show Low to Springerville. Not sure where that curve is though.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #24
purpledodge
FNG

For years here in the desert old cars have been used for flood control. With a little scrounging you never know what you might find.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

How 'bout some drives in the hot rod?
Jump on 89 at it beginings just north of Wickenburg and don't stop 'till you hit Utah... Hell, if you got time, don't stop there! Grad some ice cream in Wickenburg, Smoe lunch in Yarnell at the cafe at the top of the grade, a quick drink at the spirit room in Jerome, Wait a bit and have dinner in Sedona or Flagstaff. One of my favorite ways to spend the day. The Plymouth's first hard miles when I popped for the Tremac was spent doing just what I described!
Or, one no one everthinks about, take I-10 out of the Phoenix smog-plex to and go left on 85 south... Yes, I am suggesting Gila Bend! Stop and have lunch at the Space Age diner or the Italian joint, then keep heading south. After you leave Gila Bend the road is flat for a bit, then turns into a neat surface of the moon kinda land scape with tons of volcanic rock and giant boulders that don't seem to match. As you pop into the mountains you enter the Barry Goldwater Air Force target range and many times on this trip i've stopped and watched fighters practicing straifing runs down the mountain sides. Kinda unreal at sunset! Down into Ajo. Root around down there 'cause there is some tin stting around, lots of old mines, etc. Then south some more to Why, and across 86 into Tucson for some of the best 'Mezcun food on this planet... Out side of Phoenix, of course...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM123 View Post
Some folks probably dont understand the ravages of flashfloods which are common in the desert. Most cars in these pics wereprobably either washed away in floods or put there by humans for flood control.
There is a lot of truth to that but if you look at all of the bodys that Squirrel showed on those photos they have one thing in common. The frame and running gear is missing from everyone of them that had a frame.

Back a number of years ago tin wasn't worth hauling in for scrap from a lo of places and guy rolled the junk cars on their sides and cut the frames out of them and cut that up for "prepared Iron" The body shells got hauled out and dropped over a cliff. The big junk yards would crush and haul truck loads of bodys but the little guy scrappers were just after the frames and running gear.
And there is the possibility that someone bought the bodys from junk yards after they were stripped to dump in those gulleys to slow down the erosion from flash floods. I heard of that being done here locally years ago.

In a town about 35 miles away from where I live one of our fellow Hambers (not to be named) and his buddies would drag the hulks of cars they had stripped the engines and transmissions from up to the local "lookout" and shove them over the edge just to see how far the would crash and band down the hillside. I doubt any of those bodies are still up there though. I was never in on it but heard the stories from the guys I went to trade school with.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
xix32
Grenade Inspector

found this `58 impala near the meteor crater in 2005.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Tons of that here in the desert. I could walk you to a place in Bouse, AZ. where a '36 five window coupe and '41 Merc Tudor are stuck into a cliff for erosion control. The front fenders from the coupe have been in my yard for years though...
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #29
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

A couple more thoughts on how to waste a perfectly good day in AZ... I talked earlier about hanging a left on Hiway 85 to Gila Bend... And I'm sure everybody who lives here thought "Why?". But, let's say instead of taking the four lane freeway that is 85 these days, and lets hang a right at the sign for Arlington, AZ. Lots of farms that have tin stashes on the way to Arlington, which it'self isn't too much, a bait store, general store, diner etc. Now, instead of following the road west to Tonopah, (cool stuff beyond that place too, but that's another story!) cut back south on old hiway 85 following the Gila Bend signs. You will be rewarded by a cruise along a pretty steam that is i tributary to the Gila river, but the cool part is the cetury old suspension bridge that still crosses the Gila... Stop for a bit and wade in the river if it's warm enough, if it's not, we'll all know your not from here! But study this bridge for a bit 'cause it's cool, and no one knows it's out here anymore. Then head south to Gila Bend and Ajo, Tucson as I said before.

Anther one no one does but is cool, Head south out of Mesa on 87, Country Club road. Take that all the way down to 287 and head into Florence. Once there, notice the clock in the cool old court house on the town square... It never changes time! Florence was at one time going to be a big, important place and they built a court house to suite that idea, but couldn't afford a the movement for the clock! Main street is cool too with some of the oldest commercial buildings still standing in the state. I'll continue later in the day, 'cause this one gets cool. Got some stuff to do.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #30
Model A John
Alliance Member

Cool thread. Makes me want to explore Arizona.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
flat top austin
Grenade Inspector

I wanna got there so bad!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #32
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

You guys who live in the west and midwest are living my dream. It must be so cool to get out in the boonies and see this kind of stuff just laying around.

Don
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
purpledodge
FNG

Not always so easy to get to, it helps to have an off road vehicle.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #34
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledodge View Post
Not always so easy to get to, it helps to have an off road vehicle.
That may be in your case but, all of the ones, about 20, have been accessible by a regular car or by hiking.
Yesterday, I drove my primered GTO and a friend took his 4dr Bonneville.

Here is another one we found. Now sure what it is, looks like late 40s.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #35
1950ChevySuburban
Member Emeritus

There's lots of stuff I've found up in St. Johns. Really cool yard up there, owned by a local towing guy. Phone #s on the barn, he won't answer or return calls. North side of main road leaving St. Johns east side.

/showthread.php?t=635145
Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #36
lanny haas

there is this yard off 7th street and Pima I think a lot of you AZ guys/gals know about. full of stuff. lot of buicks.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #37
lanny haas

this ones on 16th street, I think Washington.

16th street and buckeye, in old plumping yard. not sure if still there

Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #38
NTAPHSE

Great thread! We came across a 50's Studebaker or something while out four wheeling near Lake Pleasant a couple of years ago. Clearly it had been pushed down the ravine by a flash flood, tons of branches and crap were forced into it by the water. Wish I had taken a pic now.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
czuch
Alliance Member

JEEEEEZZZZZ I need to get out more.
Theres one in Huachaca city thats a gold mine. Thats what the guy thinks anyway.
Theres a 61 Starliner just down the street from me.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #40
czuch
Alliance Member

In I-10 in Marana theres a guy with a yard with about 20 Studebakers visible from the hiway.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
azsnow

There is a ton of stuff in Marana, and there was once a yard in Picacho, it is shut down, but still has a ton of cool stuff! Take a drive down by Estrella jail as well!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
NEWFISHER

Edit: just caught "Arizona" sorry, still cool cars though...
I have two to share. The first one offers no pic's and anyone on the west coast that has driven from California to Oregon has drivin 200 yards from them in plain sight. I-5 northbound at the 2 mile marker on the Oregon side, look straight ahead through the curves of the highway and up the hill side. You are about a mile from them at this point. As you ascend the highway, through the curves, remembering where you spoted them, park at the concrete guard rail and put on your hiking shoes. straight up 200 yards is an outcropping of 3 trees. Hidden in plain sight at the base of the trees are 3 cars and various hoods and fenders (late 30's early 40's) and another 100 yards up the cliff is the top where you will find a "deadman's curve". I could never find a local in the area to share stories, but I have stopped a couple times on the way back from car shows and swap meets to show some friends. It takes about 30 min to hike it and its not for the shifty-footed.

Next is an old Cadillac at the top of the Sierra's, buried off of the famous Rubicon Trail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon_Trail and http://baggyparagraphs.wordpress.com.../rubicontrail/
A section of this famous trail from Georgetown Ca to Lake Tahoe has a hill climb that was named after a full size Cadillac that had fallen off. As the story goes, back in the 30's people started using this trail to discover the Tahoe area. They would spend weeks trying to explore the area and get further through the rugged terrain. Carrying long plank boards and moving rock by hand and with explosives, people actually drove sedans several miles into the Sierra Mountains. One family was not so lucky and with one wrong turn, took a tumble and ended up half way down the cliffside. The car has been there since, stripped of everything, shot up and crushed under the 15 feet of anuall snowfall. I finally was able to find the car and took a couple pic's.

The pic's are crappy, but you literally had to be a billy goat to get there and reach out one arm(holding camera) to take a shot. I couldn't find ANY pic's of this car on the net.

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 02-09-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #43
Zookeeper

If anyone is in the area somtime, I have relatives that live in the Mammoth, area, about 50 miles northwest of Tucson. We used to visit there every couple years and there was always a huge amount of good tin, provided you didn't mind looking around the back roads. As late as the '80's I remember seeing stuff like a 60-ish Corvette, nearly all of a 28-29 A pickup, lots of '40's and '50's Chevys and those were just the complete cars. My Dad bought an absolutely flawless pair of '34 Ford front fenders for $35 (about '80) and my good buddy Ralph Clark bought an unbelievably nice '32 3w body, frame and grille for $1,000 in '81 or '82. All the stuff I mentioned was visible from a road, no hiking involved.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #44
300racr
Grenade Inspector

Applekrate, I'd be interested in doing some sight seeing .Ever been south of Salome use to be some mine shafts in that area maybe some old iron aswell.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #45
applekrate

We are going on our next outing in a few weeks- Monday Feb 27. It will be between Globe and Show Low in the Salt River Canyon area. Meeting in the east valley at an IHOP around 7am.

I appreciate all the posts here but, would request we stay on our subject thread. Abandoned cars in Arizona. Not cars in yards being stored.

BTW though to answer some questions.
The yard in st Johns is Ferris towing 928-337-4441
The storage yard off of 7th st is owned by Blake Machine.

BTT please

Here is another example-

Early 60s chev truck

Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #46
tattedfordguy

Damm that c10 is in great shape
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #47
23reotim
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Here is another one we found. Now sure what it is, looks like late 40s.

is this up by mule hoof bend? i have some pics of other cars that were there but cant seem to upload them
Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #48
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

Ship them here. Just cut your rusty NY clunker off about halfway down the body and mate it to the bottom of one of these things and go.

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #49
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300racr View Post
Applekrate, I'd be interested in doing some sight seeing .Ever been south of Salome use to be some mine shafts in that area maybe some old iron aswell.

That's the old Harqua Hala mining district. Been through the mountain range there several times checking out the old mining claims and abandoned equipment. Actually quite a few ghost towns in that area too, but vary little evidence of their existance left. Lots to see around there. No trip would be complete though with out getting ahold of Doc and going through Salome antique auto parts...
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #50
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

If any body is waiting on baited breath for part two of my back roads travellogue from post 29, I'll continue it in the morning... It is cool though with lots of tin seeking potential. Been a long day!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #51
bodi

Need Louvres,

If you need a beat to crap OT Roadmaster to run interference on the next trip, let me know. I've made a few of the drives you spoke of, but, I've been meaning to make it out to Ajo, only ever made it as far as Gila Bend to look at a house. My buddy lives in Ajo, and I've been told to be prepared for the road blocks, and agents.

Sounds like some good trips, and I'm looking for parts for my 64 c10... I'm going to have to start running up the miles on the Bluick during the weekends.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #52
Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

RE; Benson cars, there use to be alot of cars and few trucks in there. I had sent in photos to Rod & Custom for the vintage tin issue a few years back. (5 +/-) Someone got in there and removed a bunch of them a couple years ago. (including the two 49 Chevys I was slowly removing parts from) I first came across them back in 1995 while out horseback riding & have seen many go MIA over the years....
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #53
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodi View Post
Need Louvres,

If you need a beat to crap OT Roadmaster to run interference on the next trip, let me know. I've made a few of the drives you spoke of, but, I've been meaning to make it out to Ajo, only ever made it as far as Gila Bend to look at a house. My buddy lives in Ajo, and I've been told to be prepared for the road blocks, and agents.

Sounds like some good trips, and I'm looking for parts for my 64 c10... I'm going to have to start running up the miles on the Bluick during the weekends.
bodi,
I can certainly be up for runnin' around a bit and showing you some of the sights. You live within 6 blocks of me anyway, so we should hang out a bit ya know? Give me a call in the next couple of days. 602 881 0175
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #54
55Hydramatic

Ok looking at this thread really has me wanting to go out and do some hunting now......although I'll probably want to pull have the stuff home So for now I'll post some pics that I do have...this red truck was abandoned in a yard until I brought it home. There are some model A's off of I40 near Katchina Village that a Ranch put there for "art" yea drives me nuts but what can you do...and here's some pics from Jerome and some other stuff I've found.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00298.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	1559621   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00566.JPG
Views:	694
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	1559622   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00561.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1559623  

Name:	DSC00344.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	1559624  

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=591746
Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #55
55Hydramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by need louvers ? View Post
That's the old Harqua Hala mining district. Been through the mountain range there several times checking out the old mining claims and abandoned equipment. Actually quite a few ghost towns in that area too, but vary little evidence of their existance left. Lots to see around there. No trip would be complete though with out getting ahold of Doc and going through Salome antique auto parts...

I've lived here all my life and never even heard of Salome....and I know there are lots different little towns like Baghdad, Wikieup, Crown King, Seligman etc.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #56
bodi

Quote:
bodi,
I can certainly be up for runnin' around a bit and showing you some of the sights. You live within 6 blocks of me anyway, so we should hang out a bit ya know? Give me a call in the next couple of days. 602 881 0175
Sounds killer. I'll be working up in Peoria tomorrow, but, I'll give you a call.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #57
56don
Old School HAMBer

On behalf of all the people who live in an area where abandoned cars rot to dust in 10 years I have to say that this thread is frustrating to us.
Still, I love to see them, just wish that I lived there.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #58
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23reotim View Post
is this up by mule hoof bend? i have some pics of other cars that were there but cant seem to upload them
Yes it is.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #59
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Hydramatic View Post
I've lived here all my life and never even heard of Salome....and I know there are lots different little towns like Baghdad, Wikieup, Crown King, Seligman etc.
Salome is a bit west of Wickenburg on hiway 60... Little towns ALL over this state!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #60
BURN OUT BOB
Alliance Member

I'm sure you guys been to Hackberry!!

Last edited by BURN OUT BOB; 10-11-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #61
applekrate

Quote:

This appears now to be a 1947 Mercury as a result of some searching.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #62
desertdroog
Alliance Member

Nice to see this thread pop up and detail some of the areas I have discussed with you in person Chip. The bonus of taking the roads less traveled is seeing how varied a state we live in...makes me wish my A was finished as this time of year is fantastic for touring.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #63
Curly5759

I found this Buick buried in a wash near the McCracken mine. (burro Creek area)
The 2 attachements are of an imported car, I cannot remember the brand at the moment, but the front wheels only had 3 lugs.

Curly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Burro Creek Pre Run 050.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1559713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burro Creek Pre Run 051.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1559714  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burro Creek Pre Run 045.jpg (145.0 KB, 8328 views)
File Type: jpg Burro Creek Pre Run 046.jpg (123.4 KB, 308 views)
Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #64
chevydave1965
Grenade Inspector

NICE thread
Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #65
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdroog View Post
Nice to see this thread pop up and detail some of the areas I have discussed with you in person Chip. The bonus of taking the roads less traveled is seeing how varied a state we live in...makes me wish my A was finished as this time of year is fantastic for touring.

Dude, My Plymouth being apart for repairs over at Steve's is killing me right now with the weather sooo nice right now... You know how much of this state (and others) that thing has seen!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #66
straightaxle65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
If I am looking in the right spot from your description it is all houses.
Your not looking in the right spot.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #67
55Hydramatic

So I did a search and found this...about mid page there's a pic of a 60's suburban that is supposed to be off the weatherford trail up on the peaks. I think the trail may be on the west side of the mountain, but if it goes on the east side then if that burb is there its burned up because there aint nothing left on that side. I'll have to get a map and see where this trail is at exactly now...

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...e-Found/page11

Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #68
Dog Dish Deluxe
BANNED

I love arizona for that. All those cars in those piles still have rockers and floor pans, it's just un real. In missouri when you find cars like that you can't open the doors or trunks half the time because 3/4 of the car will come with it. Did that on a 51 or 52 Pontiac the other day and almost took the whole drivers side of the car off via the door handle.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #69
oldpl8s

This car is just off the road on the north entrance to Jerome AZ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010-0203-AZ-trip (250).JPG
Views:	616
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1559784   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-0203-AZ-trip (253).JPG
Views:	486
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1559785  
Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #70
oldpl8s

The town of Jerome is alone worth the trip, but the best attraction is the Gold King Mine where the owner has dozens of old cars and trucks and old buildings on display
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1559786   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1559787   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1559788  

Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #71
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

The only thing I would be thinking about when poking around in those old cars would be SNAKES !!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE snakes !!!!!

Don
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #72
Chrisbcritter

Quote:
The 2 attachments are of an imported car, I cannot remember the brand at the moment,
Peugeot, late '50s/early '60s.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #73
Steve Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
I found this Buick buried in a wash near the McCracken mine. (burro Creek area)
The 2 attachements are of an imported car, I cannot remember the brand at the moment, but the front wheels only had 3 lugs.

Curly
Peugeot 403.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #74
wrench409
Grenade Inspector

Sometimes the best intentions go bad.

In the 70's I freelanced in photography carrying a Nikon at the the ready most of the time.

My father in law asked me once to work on his car on a weekend and since it was greasy work, I didn't take the camera bag.

He needed some parts so he took me on the back roads of North Texas to a yard FILLED with every car we all dream about. The further in the older they got. We grab the spindle off a car for him and left.

A few weeks later I went back withe the camera bag and I wasn't allowed in. The owner was afraid I was from the city or the news. He wouldn't talk at all, just ran me off.

Less than a month later my father in law told all the cars were gone, sold to be scrapped.

It's sad that I had in a hand in that and feel really bad to this day. I do suspect the yard was already under scrutiny by the city but that still makes no difference, they're gone.

In the same town there was this wicked place where one could 'pick' just about anything from the past. I grabbed all the oldest hot rod mags from WAY back and have them to this day. That place is now gone too, but being right on main street, it was destined to go anyway.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #75
38fordpickup
Old School HAMBer

Somebody got the taillights off the old Puegot, hope they ended up on the back end of somebody's hot rod, something different from the usual '38-'39 Ford teardrops.
'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ray View Post
Peugeot 403.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #76
LowMOJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Sometimes the best intentions go bad.

In the 70's I freelanced in photography carrying a Nikon at the the ready most of the time.

My father in law asked me once to work on his car on a weekend and since it was greasy work, I didn't take the camera bag.

He needed some parts so he took me on the back roads of North Texas to a yard FILLED with every car we all dream about. The further in the older they got. We grab the spindle off a car for him and left.

A few weeks later I went back withe the camera bag and I wasn't allowed in. The owner was afraid I was from the city or the news. He wouldn't talk at all, just ran me off.

Less than a month later my father in law told all the cars were gone, sold to be scrapped.

It's sad that I had in a hand in that and feel really bad to this day. I do suspect the yard was already under scrutiny by the city but that still makes no difference, they're gone.

In the same town there was this wicked place where one could 'pick' just about anything from the past. I grabbed all the oldest hot rod mags from WAY back and have them to this day. That place is now gone too, but being right on main street, it was destined to go anyway.

That being said about these Texas yards, Ive hears a few stories too about that, not trying to hijack this from Arizona. In texas we got alot of them "Secret yards/lots
" that only allow certain people in, and absoutley no cameras?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #77
lanny haas

found this up on 2nd Mesa on the Hopi rez
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #78
55Hydramatic

^ now that is a place were there are TONS of old cars and trucks....all the indians I went to school with said there is lots of old stuff out there, only problem is that they wont sell or ever do anything with any of it. should last a long time though being that rust doesnt really exist here

Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #79
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don's Hot Rods View Post
The only thing I would be thinking about when poking around in those old cars would be SNAKES !!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE snakes !!!!!

Don
Not as much as a problem in the winter.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #80
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowMOJO View Post
That being said about these Texas yards, Ive hears a few stories too about that, not trying to hijack this from Arizona. In texas we got alot of them "Secret yards/lots" that only allow certain people in, and absoutley no cameras?

I do not allow random photography in either of my yards. When people visit and they bring a camera I remind them that they are on private property and these are my personal things. I do not want anything/everything I own photographed and put on the net.
I simply tell them to ask if they see something they wish to photograph and if it OK, they can.
my yards are not open to the public either, so what? I'm a collector, not a business and only sell what I do not need for my own collection.
They are avail by appointment at times. I do not want anybody in my place either, do not blame them, esp after people posting here casually post how they have stolen from them. What do you expect?

Last edited by applekrate; 02-10-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #81
applekrate

Here is something from the mid 30s.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #82
applekrate

One of my heaps and me on this realy cool road alongside a cliff. So few people get to see this and that is too bad, it is so pretty.

Here I jokingly jump on the top of this old mine before we go in to 'make sure it is OK"

Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #83
300racr
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
55, my dad use to work for ADOT and Salome was one of the first areas he worked in,I spent my first couple of years in the trailer park on the west end of town.Would be great to go back out there and look around sometime.Anybody been up through Crown King and into Prescott the back way lately?Also anyone who's been around here for awhile remember Maverick up near Big Lake?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #84
300racr
Grenade Inspector

Just thought about this area too,Taking Stockton Hill rd. north out of Kingman up to Lake Meade? mostly dirt road all the way up IIRC but could be a neat drive.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #85
klazurfer

'34 Ford Tudor

Klaz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	34wreck.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1559987  
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #86
Bullet Nose

A place I used to visit from time to time in Truxton, right on Route 66. The owner passed away and I'm not sure where all the cars went .....

"REAL" lowered cars don't have air bags or hydraulics!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #87
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by klazurfer View Post
'34 Ford Tudor

Klaz

Thanks for the info but, now do you know for sure? I realize it is mid 30s because of the suicide doors, etc but, what there says '34?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #88
alex211
FNG

Found this one on vacation a few years ago, it was in AZ somewhere.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #89
jesse1980

man there is alot of good parts in that canyon. i could use some off that 4 door 65.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #90
phat rat
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I do not allow random photography in either of my yards. When people visit and they bring a camera I remind them that they are on private property and these are my personal things. I do not want anything/everything I own photographed and put on the net.
I simply tell them to ask if they see something they wish to photograph and if it OK, they can.
my yards are not open to the public either, so what? I'm a collector, not a business and only sell what I do not need for my own collection.
They are avail by appointment at times. I do not want anybody in my place either, do not blame them, esp after people posting here casually post how they have stolen from them. What do you expect?
What always amazes me is how many here can not even begin to understand why you feel that way. How many times people post pics they took of something sitting in someones yard without the owner even knowing the pic was taken
Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #91
purpledodge
FNG

Why is it that whenever people run across an old relic in the desert that they feel the need to shoot it?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #92
applekrate

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by applekrate

What always amazes me is how many here can not even begin to understand why you feel that way. How many times people post pics they took of something sitting in someones yard without the owner even knowing the pic was taken "

I would like to correct a word in my post- 2nd paragraph second sentence- "I do not want 'anybody' in my place either". This should have said I do not want 'everybody' in my ....

Wish not to be misinterpeted, people are welcome to visit by appointment.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #93
39 All Ford
Alliance Member

No pics of Fort Auto Parts (Milo's) along SR90 in Huachuca City, AZ ?

I don't know why I never took pics, but I didn't. It was more impressive before the massive fire in the 1990's, and it looks like a lot of the stuff has been sold off, but still lots there, more than the rest of the pics on this thread combined...

Google maps, 210 Huachuca Blvd., Huachuca City, AZ, look toward the west...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #94
haychrishay

This isn't Arizona, it's Iowa but I thought you guys would like it anyway. A freind of mine told me they had cars for ditch fill on his dad's farm and so I went to investigate. There are more than this but I need to find the pictures to scan to my computer. I sent this in to a magazine one time with the caption "you guys are always talking about how low your car is well check this one in the weeds"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	243.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	1560041   Click image for larger version

Name:	344.jpg
Views:	1463
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	1560042  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #95
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Flores View Post
Cool stuff guys! I'd gladly tag along on any expedition into the desert if anybody's going. Here's a thread I started awhile back about some stuff I found out in the eastern part of the state.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=443990
Nick,

You are more than welcome to join us on any of our upcoming hikes, just let us know. Our next trip is scheduled for Monday Feb 27th in the Salt River canyon area.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #96
applekrate

Quote:
Why is it that whenever people run across an old relic in the desert that they feel the need to shoot it?
All I can figure is they are not old car fans as we are. ?

how about this? Does everyone here know of this abandoned hiway tunnel? It was used from 1921-1951

Here is one of the openings today...

...and from back in the day.....

Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #97
azsnow

Where is that tunnel? I would be interested in doing some hunting as well, and I have a 4X4 if needed.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #98
Atwater Mike
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

Don
Aw hell, Don...some of my best friends are snakes.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #99
Atwater Mike
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Thanks for the info but, now do you know for sure? I realize it is mid 30s because of the suicide doors, etc but, what there says '34?
It's a '33 or '34 Ford Tudor. Obvious from the body reveals, beltline, rear window, rear valance, and fender.
I've had a lot of '33s and '34s.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #100
Atwater Mike
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ray View Post
Peugeot 403.

Just like the convertible Columbo drove...only a sedan.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #101
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsnow View Post
Where is that tunnel? I would be interested in doing some hunting as well, and I have a 4X4 if needed.

It is remarkably close to you between Superior and Globe and is called the Claypool tunnel. You can do a search on the net for more info.
If you would like to join us on one of our hikes, we will be going there again. I've been there 4-5 times. It is walking distance, no 4wd needed.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #102
skyrodder

i know some of these cars are too far gone, I always wonder why not remove the stainless and sell it or give it away, there will always be someone needing it. just sayin

Kustom 49-54 Chevy's
Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #103
texasred
Alliance Member

Quote:
I have always wondered about that myself, does the dumb sumbitch take a shot at his grandmother if she's in the backyard..
Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #104
El Hueso

They have been featuring some local historical landmarks on the local news this week. They had a good feature on the McPhaul bridge today. It is worth checking out off of Highway 95 Northeast of Yuma.

Here is the video:
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...5ETvUPwfRcNqKA

A nice image of it:
www.flickr.com/photos/bridgink/2252840835/
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #105
titus
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Yep, for sure a 34 ford.

When you own one you can just tell, theres a million little details we look at to comeup with our answer.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #106
lanny haas

Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #107
henry29

Quote:
If you look at the window opening on the passenger door, nearest to the the B pillar there's a flat area stamped in the window opening about an inch wide.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #108
Wooster
Alliance Member

Great thread guys...I worked at a travel nurse assignment on the Navajo Rez at Ganado AZ some 3 years ago...we would work 6 shifts in a row and be off 8 days and would explore the state of AZ and some of NM on our days off...been to most all the towns mentioned...those of of that live there I consider some of the luckiest people in the world...now if I can just get the wife to move out that way!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #109
23reotim
Grenade Inspector

here are a few i have come across. the buick and rambler have been hauled off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old cars1.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	1560460   Click image for larger version

Name:	old cars2.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1560461   Click image for larger version

Name:	old cars3.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1560462  

Name:	old cars4.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1560463   Click image for larger version

Name:	old cars5.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1560464   Click image for larger version

Name:	old cars7.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	1560466  

Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #110
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hueso View Post
They have been featuring some local historical landmarks on the local news this week. They had a good feature on the McPhaul bridge today. It is worth checking out off of Highway 95 Northeast of Yuma.

Here is the video:
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...5ETvUPwfRcNqKA

A nice image of it:
www.flickr.com/photos/bridgink/2252840835/

Cool dude! The swinging bridge. I stopped and checked that out a couple of time on the pull out of Yuma up to Quartzite. Up on the proving grounds north of there about 10 miles sits the remains of a '37 Plymouth sedan off on the west side of the road... Missing it's dash though these days!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #111
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus View Post
Yep, for sure a 34 ford.

When you own one you can just tell, theres a million little details we look at to comeup with our answer.
That is nice that you know. However, if you do not tell others HOW you know, we cannot learn to tell ourselves. that is why I asked
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #112
captainjunk#2
Old School HAMBer

cool photos , its fun to take an arm chair tour through the lense of your camera
Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #113
Mike W.
FNG

Quote:
That's the old Harqua Hala mining district. ...
I used to work on equipment at the Harqua Hala mine and still have keys to the gate on the eastern side, interesting area. I lived in Az. for 27 years after getting out of the service, being a hot rodder I've been all over the state looking for old iron but a lot of it is now buried under new housing developments. I know of a 57 Chevy and 56 Chevy pickup buried in a wash in a mountain mining town to expand the parking lot for tourists. A whole wash SE of Phx full of old iron put there by the farmers in days gone by to control the water flow during the monsoons and they get real pizzed if you pull any parts...go figure. The iron is everywhere but you have to look harder now as every year I was there you could find it on trailers headed back east. I still go back every year to visit my boy and my old hot rod buddies and still look for cars and trucks.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #114
33 Fordor
Grenade Inspector

I never get tired of looking at rusted out junked cars! Keep the pics coming.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #115
Mopar Jack

I like this tread...
Old 02-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #116
El Hueso

Quote:
Cool dude! The swinging bridge. I stopped and checked that out a couple of time on the pull out of Yuma up to Quartzite. Up on the proving grounds north of there about 10 miles sits the remains of a '37 Plymouth sedan off on the west side of the road... Missing it's dash though these days!
I will have to keep my eyes peeled for that Plymouth next time I am up that way. Is it visible from the road side?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #117
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Yes it is! After you get into the proving grounds and into the rough desert out there, just keep looking to the left. That's how I saw it. Got the dash hanging here on the wall.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #118
El Hueso

Quote:
Yes it is! After you get into the proving grounds and into the rough desert out there, just keep looking to the left. That's how I saw it. Got the dash hanging here on the wall.
Nice! I will have to try to get up there in the next few weeks. The news also had a feature on the San Carlos hotel:
http://titancast.titantv.com/p/kyma/.../1ABX2YZZ.aspx

Let me know the next time your down in this corner of the state and I will treat you to some tacos.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #119
55Hydramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300racr View Post
55, my dad use to work for ADOT and Salome was one of the first areas he worked in,I spent my first couple of years in the trailer park on the west end of town.Would be great to go back out there and look around sometime.Anybody been up through Crown King and into Prescott the back way lately?Also anyone who's been around here for awhile remember Maverick up near Big Lake?
The last time I was in Crown King I was probably around 10 or so. Went up there to cut wood and drove that 72' GMC in my avatar...man was that a rough ride up those switchbacks!! I think my dad said there's an old tractor or something if you go up the backside.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #120
Meyer
Alliance Member

I grew up in Yuma...

take the drive from Prescott to Yuma and you will see some old cars on a lot on the left side of the road. In a big yard with some farm implements. Model T and Model A type stuff. Dunno if for sale
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #121
cfnutcase

Quote:

I would save this car, believe me, it might take me a few thousand hours but I can work metal and I would save this body!! Jim
Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #122
Curly5759

Quote:
We always called it the bridge to nowhere. I know it well. Spent a lot of time out at adair range.
Is the Plymouth still there? I checked it out once in the 90's, last few times I looked for it, I didn't see it.

curly
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #123
MotherTrucker
Alliance Member

The story behind "The Pit" in Benson is.... there used to be an old salvage yard there & the Southern Pacific R.R bought the land 'cause it was is right next to the track.

The R.R. bulldozed all the cars from the salvage yard into the wash next to the RR tracks for erosion control.

Cool thing about it is.... you can take all the parts you want....
We been haulin' parts outta there for years now.

Not a good place to visit when it is warm as the place is crawlin' with rattlesnakes... so...We only go during the coldest months of the year .

You actually have to tresspass on R.R. property to get to it but, we never been hassled by the R.R. cops yet.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...00963&t=h&z=20
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	389.JPG
Views:	775
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1560643   Click image for larger version

Name:	388.JPG
Views:	1525
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	1560644   Click image for larger version

Name:	387.JPG
Views:	1420
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	1560645  

Name:	379.JPG
Views:	1438
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	1560646   Click image for larger version

Name:	380.JPG
Views:	1371
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	1560647   Click image for larger version

Name:	378.JPG
Views:	1420
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	1560648  

Name:	383.JPG
Views:	1940
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	1560649  

Last edited by MotherTrucker; 02-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #124
MotherTrucker
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czuch View Post
In I-10 in Marana theres a guy with a yard with about 20 Studebakers visible from the hiway.

There is a guy with over 200 Studebakers rat -holed away in Vail Ariz. east of Tucson
{not visible from ANY highway }.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...02323&t=h&z=19

Last edited by MotherTrucker; 02-10-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #125
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
We always called it the bridge to nowhere. I know it well. Spent a lot of time out at adair range.
Is the Plymouth still there? I checked it out once in the 90's, last few times I looked for it, I didn't see it.

curly
It was there last time I was through there, but that was about three years ago now. I used to work in Yuma, but have always lived in Phoenix. If you can believe it, for about eight months out of the year I used to drive my avatar to Yuma and back at three days a week or more... Lots of fun in a hot rod, but your always looking for new ways to get there and back to break the boredom.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #126
azsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherTrucker View Post
There is a guy with over 200 Studebakers rat -holed away in Vail Ariz. east of Tucson
{not visible from ANY highway }.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...02323&t=h&z=19

So whats the catch? No sale or what?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #127
desertdroog
Alliance Member

"The Pit" in Bensen reminds me of an above water dry reef. Nature closing in on it, slowly, with a few cleansings during wash floods. Kind of like an old ship sunk and reclaimed by the sea, the earth and atmosphere is slowly burning its elements and minerals.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #128
Nick Flores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
.... and my good buddy Ralph Clark bought an unbelievably nice '32 3w body, frame and grille for $1,000 in '81 or '82. .....
I talked with Ralph yesterday about that car. He said it he remembers it being $600, which even back in '81 had to have been a steal. I'll have to ask if he has any pics of it.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #129
scotts52

Quote:

I'd seriously try to pound that back into submission one small bit at a time. Of course I'm crazy, but I'd definitely try.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #130
c57heaven

Quote:

Don
That's why all the cars have bullet holes in them...got scared and tried to shoot the snake...shoot'in isn't too good when the adrenaline is flowing.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #131
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherTrucker View Post
The story behind "The Pit" in Benson is.... there used to be an old salvage yard there & the Southern Pacific R.R bought the land 'cause it was is right next to the track.

The R.R. bulldozed all the cars from the salvage yard into the wash next to the RR tracks for erosion control.

Cool thing about it is.... you can take all the parts you want....
We been haulin' parts outta there for years now.

Not a good place to visit when it is warm as the place is crawlin' with rattlesnakes... so...We only go during the coldest months of the year .

You actually have to tresspass on R.R. property to get to it but, we never been hassled by the R.R. cops yet.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...00963&t=h&z=20
Double check your laws, though; here in NY they changed the law so that any cop can arrest you for being on RR property without permission, Jan 1st; more fallout from 9/11 and all that. I doubt you're going to run into a problem, but on the off chance you do it's good to know what's going on.

The reason you've probably never seen a RR cop is, if the UP is anything like CSX, most of them are concentrated in the larger cities where people actually do stuff to stop trains and break into them - other places, you might have one or two guys to cover a huge territory.

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #132
Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Flores View Post
I talked with Ralph yesterday about that car. He said it he remembers it being $600, which even back in '81 had to have been a steal. I'll have to ask if he has any pics of it.
No, there was a semi rough '34 three-window right next to the '32 3 window that Ralph bought.The guy wanted $600 for the '34 and we all thought he was WAAY out of line. Ralph, myself and the grouchy old guy (last name was DuVall) that owned the shop Ralph worked out of took a truck and trailer out to get it and I was there when he counted out the money. Tell Ralph I said his memory must have gotten rusty, he's damn near 7 years older than I am! Man have times changed...
Also ask Ralph about the day trip we took to (I think) Camp Verde, Az. He said he knew this place that had the greatest apple pie, so off we went, on what I believe to be the windiest day in Arizona history. We stopped to change the plug boots on his roadster to fix a mis-fire about halfway there, but we found a neat junk yard that we could look down the hill into. It had a VERY saveable '36 3 window coupe that someone had made a dirt tracker into, but since there were no dents in the body that I remember seeing, I doubt it was ever raced. But it was fully lettered and numbered. Good times with Ralph indeed.

Last edited by Zookeeper; 02-12-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #133
El Caballo
Alliance Member

[QUOTE=squirrel;7435972]A few near Benson, this was 4 years ago...not sure if they're still around.

Looks like mass suicide at Radiator Springs....
Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #134
Bullet Nose

Vicksburg Road and US 60 .....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2142.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1561663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2143.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1561664  

Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #135
1950ChevySuburban
Member Emeritus

APPLEKRATE: I've got a place near St.Johns, next time I'm up that way I'd love to meet up and visit you and your yard.

MOTHERTRUCKER: Regarding rattlesnakes - what cold months? It's been so nice lately I bet they're out already. Gimme a call next time you visit that pit.

/showthread.php?t=635145
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #136
1950ChevySuburban
Member Emeritus

There was a yard in Eloy west side of I-10 that had lots of old stuff, it's where we bought the Nash in 2003. Anyone know if that yard's still there? He had an AD truck COE, a Corvair pickup with the side tailgate, old British roadsters...............

/showthread.php?t=635145
Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #137
Sheep Dip

Thanks for sharing, I like this kinda stuff. We Quail hunt on the San Carlos Reservation and there are a bunch of old cars out there that we look at all the time, in fact one of the markers for our turn off is known as the 54 ford road....great pic's and looks like a great road trip for you guy's.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #138
Nick Flores

Quote:
..... Tell Ralph I said his memory must have gotten rusty, he's damn near 7 years older than I am! Man have times changed...
Also ask Ralph about the day trip we took to (I think) Camp Verde, Az.....
If only Ralph coupld type faster then a chicken I'd get him to sign up for the HAMB!!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #139
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
No, there was a semi rough '34 three-window right next to the '32 3 window that Ralph bought.The guy wanted $600 for the '34 and we all thought he was WAAY out of line. Ralph, myself and the grouchy old guy (last name was DuVall) that owned the shop Ralph worked out of took a truck and trailer out to get it and I was there when he counted out the money. Tell Ralph I said his memory must have gotten rusty, he's damn near 7 years older than I am! Man have times changed...
Also ask Ralph about the day trip we took to (I think) Camp Verde, Az. He said he knew this place that had the greatest apple pie, so off we went, on what I believe to be the windiest day in Arizona history. We stopped to change the plug boots on his roadster to fix a mis-fire about halfway there, but we found a neat junk yard that we could look down the hill into. It had a VERY saveable '36 3 window coupe that someone had made a dirt tracker into, but since there were no dents in the body that I remember seeing, I doubt it was ever raced. But it was fully lettered and numbered. Good times with Ralph indeed.

Hey Zookeeper!

Loved the story! You sure the grouchy old guy with the truck wasn't Don Marks? Back about that time ralph was working out of his shop on Madison and 32nd street. Don would always qualify for being grouchy and owning a truck!!! Still! With his sizable grey/white beard, bald head, and somewhat sour disposistion, my girlfriend has lovingly nick named him "pissed off Santa Claus" and it has stuck. I'd be willing to bet it was...

Not to correct memories of thirty years ago further, but Rock Springs is probably the pie shop of note. Even if it's not, being that this is a AZ travelogue it is worth a big mention. Go north out of the Phoenix area on I-17 and get off at the Rock Springs exit and prepare to munch. Now beyond that, if you are in a vehicle with some ground clearance like say a truck or a rental car (heh!) go North out of the Rock Springs and Black Canyon and out by the old Dog Track turn on to the dirt Old Black Canyon Hiway. Then all you have to do is open your eyes! Stuff is still out there as you head North and come in the back side of Cordes, AZ.

Last edited by need louvers ?; 02-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #140
Zookeeper

No, it was definitely something Duvall (I remember Don Marks well), and he and Ralph had a shop at Duvall's house called "C&D Machine", the C being Ralph Clark and the D being Duvall. We used Duvall's old GMC truck and a trailer from somewhere and off we went. Ralph told me he sold the '32 as a roller a few years later to buy a house when he got married. Here's another quick Ralph story, during the time I was there, Ralph was doing an engine swap for Duvall that made absolutely zero sense. Of course Ralph knew full well it was dumb, but it was Duvall's car, idea, money and because he actually owned the shop, it was kinda one of those "have-to" jobs. The swap was to put a '55 Buick nailhead into something like a '69 Buick, which probably came with a 455 originally.Anyway, nothing at all fit, the oil pan had to be cut down to about 3" deep because it hit the crossmember and steering and the car was a piece of shit anyway. One day in frustration, Ralph (with a straight face) told me the Duvall should write a book about this fucking car (Ralph's exact words). He could title it, "How to turn your $800 car into a $300 car for only $1500" I still laugh my ass off just thinking about that whole thing.
As for the pie thing, it turned out to be some shithole coffee shop out int he middle of BFE, but we still had a great time.

Last edited by Zookeeper; 02-12-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #141
c57heaven

Quote:
One day in frustration, Ralph (with a straight face) told me the Duvall should write a book about this fucking car (Ralph's exact words). He could title it, "How to turn your $800 car into a $300 car for only $1500" I still laugh my ass off just thinking about that whole thing.
LMAO
That's a classic line. We've all been there.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #142
1950coronet600hp

i am not sure where that sweeping curve is either, but i am in showlow 4 times a week for work, hmm can anyone say "FIELD TRIP" lol
Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #143
oj
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck424 View Post
Just click and drag the mouse to move the map and use the zoom
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Show+L...izona&t=h&z=13
Thanks for the link, i haven't found where i was at as yet. I will spend some time looking, it was a long time ago and they might well be gone. But maybe not, i should at least see some pieces of where it was.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #144
29sportcoupe
Grenade Inspector

Is the wide curve out on 60 east of Show low? There is a wide sweep to the right where another road goes up the hill on the left. Never saw any cars around there but show low has a bunch of tin laying around.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #145
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29sportcoupe View Post
Is the wide curve out on 60 east of Show low? There is a wide sweep to the right where another road goes up the hill on the left. Never saw any cars around there but show low has a bunch of tin laying around.

To the locals, that area is known as the "Y".
If you are eastbound heading away from Show Low, hwy 60 goes towards Springerville and hwy 61 goes towards Concho and to St Johns. Hwy 61 goes up the hill.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #146
1941ihkb5
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 All Ford View Post
No pics of Fort Auto Parts (Milo's) along SR90 in Huachuca City, AZ ?

I don't know why I never took pics, but I didn't. It was more impressive before the massive fire in the 1990's, and it looks like a lot of the stuff has been sold off, but still lots there, more than the rest of the pics on this thread combined...

Google maps, 210 Huachuca Blvd., Huachuca City, AZ, look toward the west...
Last I knew the old man died and the kid took overIve been told the kid wont even sell a hubcap. Hope its not so I plan on going there to visit family this spring.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #147
oj
Alliance Member

Quote:
To the locals, that area is known as the "Y".
If you are eastbound heading away from Show Low, hwy 60 goes towards Springerville and hwy 61 goes towards Concho and to St Johns. Hwy 61 goes up the hill.
I am now thinking it is outside of PineTop. I remembered Showlow but had forgotten PineTop, i believe Pete lived in PineTop and i went to his house in town and went from there to that junkyard, it was a large (for there) highway and i believe it ran easterly and was north of pinetop. It was definatly off the reservation. And it wasn't all that far, iam thinking less than a halfhour.
I have been doing the map thing and will continue.
At the bottom of Salt River Canyon they used to have cars on display that people would commit suicide in by driving off the top of the canyon. Now, they would give a bodyman a pause - are they still there?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #148
applekrate

At the bottom of Salt River Canyon they used to have cars on display that people would commit suicide in by driving off the top of the canyon. Now, they would give a bodyman a pause - are they still there?

answer- no

When do you remember this?

Who was 'they'?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #149
fulltimeforester

There are two sites in St. John, an old wrecking yard going out of town. There are 40s
and 50s cars, and some newer. The problem is, he won't sell anything. But he likes model A's. Get him talking, and he'll go on and on.
The other one is near the fair grounds, on private property, no access. Just drool.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #150
rainhater1
BANNED

Talking Re: Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950coronet600hp View Post
i am not sure where that sweeping curve is either, but i am in showlow 4 times a week for work, hmm can anyone say "FIELD TRIP" lol
Would love to do it when we get back on the hill, going to be late this year, going to aussie land first john
Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #151
Normbc9

Don't ignaore the "Finds" in Utah, New Mexico and southwest Colorado. I found a 52 Ford hard top (first of that body style) sitting in back of a house and we found it by acciedent. We returned three days latter and after two hours of discussion (bargaining) we got a hand shake deal. Came back later that day with a rental trailer and brought if home. That area is rich with old "finds."
Normbc9
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #152
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimeforester View Post
There are two sites in St. John, an old wrecking yard going out of town. There are 40s
and 50s cars, and some newer. The problem is, he won't sell anything. But he likes model A's. Get him talking, and he'll go on and on.
The other one is near the fair grounds, on private property, no access. Just drool.
I already answered this question earlier in the thread. Both places, same owner. 1 is his shop the other where he lives
Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #153
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normbc9 View Post
Don't ignaore the "Finds" in Utah, New Mexico and southwest Colorado. I found a 52 Ford hard top (first of that body style) sitting in back of a house and we found it by acciedent. We returned three days latter and after two hours of discussion (bargaining) we got a hand shake deal. Came back later that day with a rental trailer and brought if home. That area is rich with old "finds."
Normbc9

agreed, there are find all over, this thread is about what is in Arizona
Old 02-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #154
junkyardjeff
Old School HAMBer

I wish I lived near that pile of cars.
Quote:

Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #155
applekrate

Here is a neat section of abandonded hwy 60 that was built in the mid 30's ( based on old hwy maps. Not sure how long it was used.

When hiking through these areas, I try to imagine what it was like carving this stuff in this remote area back in the day. Also, of course, looking for cars and parts left behind.

Last edited by applekrate; 02-12-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #156
applekrate

This Car I found with some others in the Lindon area west of Show Low.
Not sure what it is but, looks late 30's. Anyone know?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #157
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Applekrate, Is that section of old 60 in that area above Superior? I have alway wanted to run up that old road out of there along the river. I believe that is where the tunnel you posted a couple of pages ago was as well, too. The car you posted last is a '40 Chevy most likely, but if not a G.M from '40.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #158
B Ramsey

ive been to that pile near Benson. spent about 4 hrs there, poking around. followed the tracks some more and found a '49 ford. pulled out the dashboard.....
Old 02-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #159
henry29

Quote:

1940 Chevrolet
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #160
JohnEvans
Old School HAMBer

Zookeeper: DuVall's first name was TOM. I use to get out there from time to time in the 83-85 time frame.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #161
Bullet Nose

Anyone been to the Desert Bar? .....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8108.JPG
Views:	1015
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1562724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8109.JPG
Views:	761
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1562725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8110.JPG
Views:	923
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1562726  

Name:	IMG_8113.JPG
Views:	7735
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	1562727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8127.JPG
Views:	1054
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	1562728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8130.JPG
Views:	872
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	1562729  

Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #162
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Nose View Post
Anyone been to the Desert Bar? .....
OK, Where the hell is that "T" body?! it didn't just show up there in the last 7 or 8 years or so did it?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #163
bodi

Man I could completely ruin that pickup..... heck, I could even cut up that perfectly good Mack!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #164
55Hydramatic

where's this "desert bar" at?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #165
Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEvans View Post
Zookeeper: DuVall's first name was TOM. I use to get out there from time to time in the 83-85 time frame.
That's it! I don't know why I couldn't think of it myself. He tried to put on a grouchy demeanor, but all in all, he treated me pretty well considering I was a 19 year old idiot at the time. Now I'm a 49 year old idiot...
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #166
applekrate

Quote:
Applekrate, Is that section of old 60 in that area above Superior? I have alway wanted to run up that old road out of there along the river. I believe that is where the tunnel you posted a couple of pages ago was as well, too. The car you posted last is a '40 Chevy most likely, but if not a G.M from '40.
Louvers,
The pic of abandoned hwy 60 with the snow is north of Globe about 30 miles.

The tunnel is much closer, maybe 50-60 miles, to the Phoenix area, just a few miles east of Superior.

We go up to that area at times, if you want to join us, you are welcome to do so.
So far, we have found one wreck in the immediate vicinity of the tunnel, looks to be a jeep or something. It is very beat. There are others in the area.

Last edited by applekrate; 02-12-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #167
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry29 View Post
1940 Chevrolet

Interesting that that car is a '40 chev.

Here is another in the Linden area and I was guessing that this was about a '40 or '41 Chev. Maybe they both are? just different body styles?

The front end almost looks like early 50s but the main body looks like about a 1940. Maybe late 40s?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #168
38fordpickup
Old School HAMBer

I wish I could get the back bumper and backup lights off that '56 Ford Customline in the pile for Ozelle the '55 Ford. That bumper looks perfect, and I like the '56 style backup lights better than the '55 style.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #169
Bullet Nose

Quote:
About 5 miles out in the desert on a dirt road near Parker.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #170
Bullet Nose

Quote:
The front end almost looks like early 50s but the main body looks like about a 1940. Maybe late 40s?

1946 - 1948 Coupe but I can't remember how to tell them apart. Nice looking grill.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #171
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Louvers,
The pic of abandoned hwy 60 with the snow is north of Globe about 30 miles.

The tunnel is much closer, maybe 50-60 miles, to the Phoenix area, just a few miles east of Superior.

We go up to that area at times, if you want to join us, you are welcome to do so.
So far, we have found one wreck in the immediate vicinity of the tunnel, looks to be a jeep or something. It is very beat. There are others in the area.
Ron Olmstead (the always mini bike drags winner at the nostalgia digs) and I had made plans in late 2010 to mini bike up the old road at the canyon north of superior when the weather cooled. Unfortunately, just before that he suffered a near fatal heart attack. He's just finally getting some of his stamina back now after a year and three months or so, and mentioned that trip the other day. Hopefully, we'll head up there before the heat sets in.

The other chunk of road north of Globe I was not aware of. I would love to head out and walk that with you guys
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #172
applekrate

Quote:
Ron Olmstead (the always mini bike drags winner at the nostalgia digs) and I had made plans in late 2010 to mini bike up the old road at the canyon north of superior when the weather cooled. Unfortunately, just before that he suffered a near fatal heart attack. He's just finally getting some of his stamina back now after a year and three months or so, and mentioned that trip the other day. Hopefully, we'll head up there before the heat sets in.

The other chunk of road north of Globe I was not aware of. I would love to head out and walk that with you guys

In the last 5 years or so, I have hiked and explored sections of the old hiway from Superior to Globe and Globe to Show Low.
Have also collected images of road maps from the area.
The road from Globe to Salt River canyon was in by the mid 30s. Then, it was completed to Show Low by the late 30s.
The road from Globe to Superior is older and goes back to the days before cars.
From info I have researched, travelers who wanted to get to the Show Low area from Globe prior to the late 30s had to drive east of Globe to San Carlos. From there, it was a rugged trail north to Whiteriver and McNary. Then on to Show Low, etc.

I can post maps if interested.

This section of Az I am discussing has many sections of old hwy. The state obviously relocated parts of the hwy as they improved it. Much of it has not been used since the early 50s.
I know one man who lives in Holbrook who remembers going through the old Claypool tunnel, which was used 1922-1951, as a child with his dad.
Most of these abandoned hwy sections are rather short, under a mile.

There is one though that is preety cool from the top of the world area towards Miami. I went on it about 10 years back and it went around the Pinto Creek Bridge that was built in 1949.
However, 2 years ago, ADOT widened some of the shoulder area on hwy 60 in the part and that old hiway does not go through as far.

If you drive through Superior,Globe, Show Low, you can keep an eye to each side and you will find dozens of sections of old hiway. It is very interesting and I have found many cars and parts from way back then.

will be posting more pics.

Hope this info was helepful. If anyone has more to share about Az transportation history,cars, etc. Please do.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #173
applekrate

This is a section of hwy that was by passed in 1949 when the Pinto Creek bridge was finished. This is the longest section of old hiway I know of, too long to hike. Motorcylce, mini bike or possibly mountain bike. It is shorter now since 2009 when they widened the road and it took out part of this. I did not find any cars in this section but, that does not mean there aren't any.
As soon as my '73 Yamaha 125 is running, I want to ride this before it gets hot.

I would imagine this road goes back to the 1870s at least.

Last edited by applekrate; 02-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #174
titus
Old School HAMBer

A little off topic but when we were driving out from Austin TX to LA for the GNRS we decided to take a little off freeway tour and went up 70 to globe and had lunch and stopped in a few antique stores and found this old dirt track program for globe-miami speedway dated 1954. we also drove thru superior. neat area, if we had more time it would have been neat to explore some of the old roads posted above!

jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-132S.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1563252  
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #175
Chrisbcritter

Quote:
1946 - 1948 Coupe but I can't remember how to tell them apart. Nice looking grill.
The grill tells the story - it's a '47. '46 had a molding around the ends of the bars; '48 had a vertical bar in the center.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #176
lanny haas

found this outside of Coolidge a few years ago, but its now gone, body was real rough, and front axel bent what looked like from towing..had a couple of extra rear fenders in the back looks like the head light were off of a car. could nothang around long as it was behind a farm house on privite property .....
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #177
lanny haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Nose View Post
someone should grag that grill
Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #178
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
This is a section of hwy that was by passed in 1949 when the Pinto Creek bridge was finished. This is the longest section of old hiway I know of, too long to hike. Motorcylce, mini bike or possibly mountain bike. It is shorter now since 2009 when they widened the road and it took out part of this. I did not find any cars in this section but, that does not mean there aren't any.
As soon as my '73 Yamaha 125 is running, I want to ride this before it gets hot.

I would imagine this road goes back to the 1870s at least.

Thanks, and yes I would love to see more images of those early roads posted. As many times as I have traveled that stretch of road by the Pinto creek bridge I have never notice the old road. And that is something I always notice. Not quite sure how I missed it
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #179
applekrate

Our group, called Arizona Pontiac Power, was just formed on Dec but, we have already done 3 of these hikes and a 4th isd planned in 2 weeks.
It is not pratical to re post all the pics there here but, will do some more.

If anyone here is interested in seeing what we have found, you can go there for a look,
Here is the link-

http://www.meetup.com/Arizona-Pontiac-power-group/

Once you are there, look for the photos tab and click on the album you wish.
The pics there are just of our recent hikes. I have other albums of old cars and hiways I have explored on my own to post here.

As stated before, we welcome others who share the same sense of adventure and curiosity as we do concerning old hiways and car/truck finds.

Here is a very beat 1958 Pontiac Chieftain convertible.

I had found this wreck many years ago. It is not real close , or accessible to the hiway but, you can see it from there. At first glance, I thought it was a jap car and paid little further attention to it.
You can see it with the naken eye if you know where to look but, it is pretty small.

Then, about 3 years back I bought a pair of binoculars with a built it camera. I took pics of this car and studied it. After awhile, I was convinced it was a '58 Pontiac drop top!

Still, I could not prove it until I actualy got to the site itself. I would not go alone as it is too dangerous should something happen to me.

4 of us hiked down to it last month, that's me on the left checking out a head lamp bezel. Mark is behind me, Todd is taking the pic. Keith is not shown. I cannot tell you how much fun doing this is. You just never know what you may find!

All of 4 these pics are from last month. It is on the south side of the Salt River Canyon.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #180
55Hydramatic

Quote:
Our group, called Arizona Pontiac Power, was just formed on Dec but, we have already done 3 of these hikes and a 4th isd planned in 2 weeks.
It is not pratical to re post all the pics there here but, will do some more.

If anyone here is interested in seeing what we have found, you can go there for a look,
Here is the link-

http://www.meetup.com/Arizona-Pontiac-power-group/

Once you are there, look for the photos tab and click on the album you wish.
The pics there are just of our recent hikes. I have other albums of old cars and hiways I have explored on my own to post here.

As stated before, we welcome others who share the same sense of adventure and curiosity as we do concerning old hiways and car/truck finds.

Here is a very beat 1958 Pontiac Chieftain convertible.

I had found this wreck many years ago. It is not real close , or accessible to the hiway but, you can see it from there. At first glance, I thought it was a jap car and paid little further attention to it.
You can see it with the naken eye if you know where to look but, it is pretty small.

Then, about 3 years back I bought a pair of binoculars with a built it camera. I took pics of this car and studied it. After awhile, I was convinced it was a '58 Pontiac drop top!

Still, I could not prove it until I actualy got to the site itself. I would not go alone as it is too dangerous should something happen to me.

4 of us hiked down to it last month, that's me on the left checking out a head lamp bezel. Mark is behind me, Todd is taking the pic. Keith is not shown. I cannot tell you how much fun doing this is. You just never know what you may find!

All of 4 these pics are from last month. It is on the south side of the Salt River Canyon.

I think it'll buff out.....

Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #181
applekrate

Take a look closer at that '58 and notice how it is NOT rusty!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #182
55Hydramatic

Quote:
Take a look closer at that '58 and notice how it is NOT rusty!

Exactly! It has just a couple dents though......I'd say just about all the stuff found here in Az isn't going to have any rust (unless it's been rolled down a hill and looks like that thing does) you could save it! Most of the wrecks that were up here out in the cinders have been hauled off by scrappers or the forest service.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #183
junkyardjeff
Old School HAMBer

At one time it was someones pride and joy excited when driving off the dealers lot and now here it sits.
Quote:
Interesting that that car is a '40 chev.

Here is another in the Linden area and I was guessing that this was about a '40 or '41 Chev. Maybe they both are? just different body styles?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #184
henry29

/\/\/\/\/\/\
That's a 47 Chevy and I really need that grille,

Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #185
marks73turbota
Grenade Inspector

Chip (louvers) I'm the guy that just asked about the louvers in the Pontiac trunk lid. I'm Mark, the guy in the pic with Steve and part of the group. If you get a chance you should come with us. You will not regret it. We have a good time and we find unbelievable stuff. We're always looking for people to come along, so you'd be most welcome. Mark L
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #186
gassersteve

Tomorrow I am driving my '47 to sedona for work. Maybe on the way home I will take a few back roads if its still light out.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #187
applekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassersteve View Post
Tomorrow I am driving my '47 to sedona for work. Maybe on the way home I will take a few back roads if its still light out.
Bring your camera and let us know if you see something worthwhile to visit.

Some more pics, old and current-

This is hwy 60 between Globe and Superior before it was paved. This photo appears to be headed towards Superior just before the tunnel, maybe a mile or so. I'd guess mid 30s

This is an abandoned hiway bridge on hwy 60 I discovered last summer on my own, then visited it again with friends last Dec. This is extremely pretty country.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #188
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassersteve View Post

Take 89 back down home though Wickenburg. If you have never done it, or especially never driven it in an antique car it is something that you need to do.

HAPPY STATEHOOD DAY EVERYBODY!!!! Looks like the "baby state" is finally all grown up. I love you Arizona!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #189
gassersteve

I plan to take i17 to get there. I need to drop off some plans to the city by 5. On the way home I will check out 89. Since seeing this thread a couple days ago I have thought about going through there. Should be fun. I just hope the truck is up for it.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #190
racinman
Alliance Member

Quote:

Don
and the worst kind is the rattleheadedcoppermoccasin...
Im with you "I Hate Snakes"

'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'
Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #191
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinman View Post
and the worst kind is the rattleheadedcoppermoccasin...
Im with you "I Hate Snakes"
Pussy! Ask endlessearth, he gets them in his kitchen every now and then!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #192
racinman
Alliance Member

Quote:

1940 Chevy Sedan

'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #193
Big Mac
Alliance Member

Really cool thread. If you guys ever run across any old signs (gas/oil, soda, anything auto-related) let me know! I'll buy that stuff, even if it's junky. Never know, one sign may pay for your whole trip! I like gas pumps too, but they're harder to get since they're so heavy.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #194
5_guy
Grenade Inspector

The Desert Bar is also known as "Nelle E Saloon" and is located just outside of Parker Arizona. You take a dirt road 8 miles in to get there. Here is there link www.thedesertbar.com
Pretty freaking cool place that he built all out of steel.

Quote: