Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
ssk875
BANNED

Default Muncie 4 speed vs Saginaw 4 speed?

Looking for a chevy transmission for my hot rod I dont know much about trannys, anyone have any preferences over the muncie vs the saginaw?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Black Panther
Alliance Member

Default Re: Muncie 4 speed vs Saginaw 4 speed?

Muncies are stronger...they used them behind all of the highest hp cars GM ever made, LS6 Chevelles, tripower 427 Corvettes etc...the Saginaw was/is a low performance cast iron transmission normally used in base engine cars like 327 2 barrel Camaros...that being said they are popular because they are cheap and in lightweight old cars they hold up ok since there normally isnt enough traction to break them..
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
ssk875
BANNED

Ok thanks thats what i needed I need something a little stronger then the saginaw
Thanks
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Deadbird
Alliance Member

Muncie for sure. How can you beat a rock crusher?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=829350
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
borntoloze

Don't rule out the late 70's Borg Warner Super T10 transmission too. They came in the Z28, Trans am and Corvette's ... stronger than a Saginaw and quite possibly cheaper than a Muncie.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
mgtstumpy

'Muncie', I had a 'Saginaw' behind my hopped up 6yl and it wasn't up to the task. Plus 'Muncie' is lighter with an alloy case when compared to heavier cast 'Saginaw' case.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
carlos

what you going to do with it,go for the muncie if your wallet can stand it but a sag can be bought allot cheaper
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
harrys55chevy@bellsouth.n
FNG

The net top loaders is the best ... None of that linkage to be in the way and no adjusting ...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
nwbhotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoloze View Post
Don't rule out the late 70's Borg Warner Super T10 transmission too. They came in the Z28, Trans am and Corvette's ... stronger than a Saginaw and quite possibly cheaper than a Muncie.
You can get a lower first gear in the Borg Warner also
Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
42hotrod

Also, again if your wallet can handle it, there are several companies out there now building what are being called "Super Muncies". All brand new components, heavier case, iron midplate, beefier M22 geasr sets in a variety of ratios. One brand new with warranty will set you back just under 2G's, but a good friend of mine is running one behind a 511 BBC on spray, has made over 850 HP on a chassis dyno, so over 1K horsepower at the flywheel and he had no problems, even launching it at the dragstrip!!

Scot
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
40Standard
Old School HAMBer

I like the Muncie better. You can do a search on here. This question has been asked before.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
bobss396
Old School HAMBer

Saginaws offer a lower 1st gear than most Muncies and will hold up pretty well but won't take 1/2 the beating that a Muncie will. I had one in a '66 Nova and it did well even with a hole shot or 12... Gotta have a good shifter on them though.

Bob
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Drive Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoloze View Post
The Super T-10 is by far a superior transmission to the Muncie, in all ways. They can still be bought new from Summit as the Richmond 4 speed, and you have a choice of ratios.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
Traditions Racing
Old School HAMBer

Keep in mind, Muncie's are available in close ratio and wide ratio. You should try and get one that will suit your driving needs and the set up you are running. Yes, the T-10 is better than both the forementioned tranny's, TR
Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
Traditions Racing
Old School HAMBer

Two other items I'd like to mention. If buying a used tranny, pull the side cover and look see inside, dont take someones word it's good. Bring a telescoping magnet and go through the gear lube in the bottom of the case.
Remember these tranny's use GEAR LUBE, NOT ATF like newer model transmissions. Also, do your homework and learn about the " rings ' on the input shaft, these will help in I.D.ing the trans, TR
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
42hotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditions Racing View Post
Two other items I'd like to mention. If buying a used tranny, pull the side cover and look see inside, dont take someones word it's good. Bring a telescoping magnet and go through the gear lube in the bottom of the case.
Remember these tranny's use GEAR LUBE, NOT ATF like newer model transmissions. Also, do your homework and learn about the " rings ' on the input shaft, these will help in I.D.ing the trans, TR
All really good advice, I would add one thing on the rings on the input shaft though. All replacement shafts since the 60's have no rings cut in them so if you get a shaft without any you will know it has more than likely had a replacement input shaft. No biggie, just means you'll have to do some tooth counting on 1st gear to get your intial ratio to figure out what tranny you have.

Muncies are a really unique tranny because of parts interchangability. If you decode the average muncie today you may find a pontiac main case, an oldsmobile tailshaft housing and a chevy mid plate all through the numbers. Most rebuilders in the day had big buckets of parts and if they needed a main housing they grabbed one regardless of the part number because they all interchange. Pretty rare to find an all correct muncie in this day and age.

The one in my 55 chevy was a 66 pontiac main body with unknown input shaft or tailshaft housing. I had to count the teeth to determine internally it was an M-20 wide ratio.

Good luck, there are a ton of websites out there to help you figure out what parts you need or what your looking at if your buying used complete. If it is an actual M22 (everyone says they have a "rockcrusher", I've only seen two actually turn out to be real M22's) They are worth a good chunk of change and worth repairing. If you've got a real M22, you'll know it by driving it, with the angle of the gears they howl like a sum bitch going down the road. as in LOUD. And changes pitch with every shift.

My .02 if my opinion is worth that today, for a good all around street car, i'll take an M20 any day of the week. The closeness of of the 2-3 shift in a close ratio means most of the time you end up skipping second anyway and shifting 1st, 3rd, 4th on the street.

Scot
Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
Traditions Racing
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Scot for that info on the input shaft rings, good to know, TR
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
derbydad276

if your building a lite medium horsepower car a saginaw will work fine also they cost a hell of a lot less than a muncie
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
davidbistolas
Alliance Member

Saginaw: $

Muncie: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 01-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
Hdonlybob
Old School HAMBer

Saginaw's come in three or four different gear ratios, making it a great medium HP trans in my opinion....also as said here .....very low cost compared to others.
I am using a two ring shaft which is a 3.11 first gear with a 3.36 rear end that gives mg good performance for my little warmed up 283.
Here are the gear ratios available:
Saginaw 4 speed
1st 2nd 3rd 4th
3.50-2.48-1.65-1.00
3.11-2.20-1.47-1.00
2.85-2.01-1.47-1.00
2.54-1.80-1.44-1.00
Good luck on your choice.
Cheers........