Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "John's build thread" '29 sedan on '32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950ChevySuburban, Oct 15, 2011.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Well, here goes..... my project in pictures and words. Let's start with the basic recipe...
    One 1929 Ford Tudor Sedan body, a 1948 59ab flathead, and a set of JW frame rails.

Before we get started, how about a little background first. Back in 2005, my wife bought me a '29 sedan shell for my 40th birthday. Of course, I started on it some right away, but needing to get the '50 Burb done, it got back-burnered for a while......

The body will remain stock, unchopped and with a filled roof insert I have. Gas tank will be relocated rearward. I do however, have a nice Ford script from a tailgate I'd like to add in to the rear panel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

First off we make and cut all these little spacers to set the boxing plate depth. Weld them in like so...

Then tack in and weld the plates.

Attached Files:

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

We did this at my friend's shop, Wild West Rod and Custom on his jig.
    This is me grinding the welds down nice....

Attached Files:

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Kind of jump forward a bit here. Got the frame attached to the jig, started on the model A front crossmember. Then attached the spring and Ford dropped axle purchased from HAMBer 296V8 here - he's in the HAMB-0-dex if ya need a good axle.

Also added some F-100 spindles that I rebushed at home...

Attached Files:

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yesterday, October 14th, Randy and I welded in a Model A rear crossmember that I had. Of course, careful measuring and planning goes in this....
    Decided not to use the tubular rear crossmemeber as it looked too modern.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

So, where's kennedy come in?

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You can see in the pics, I've got a '48 truck banjo for this. I'm also going to locate it with modified '36 rear bones that will come together near the center of the frame. The front bones are '32 Ford. All ends have threaded bungs welded in.

While all this was going on, I acquired a 1948 59AB flathead. I found out that it fits perfectly in the large heavy duty green trash cans Home Depot sells. That's how I did my engine molasses soaking. About 6 weeks of olfactory hell, but it came out super clean and sits on my modified stand....

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That's my name. Seemed better than calling it 1950ChevySuburbans 1929 Ford Build! HAHA!

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

It's gonna sit on the stand awhile, waiting for money and time. It does, however check out crack-free. Thanks to Bill Ewing for loaning me the valvetrain tools and teaching me how to use them. Flatheads are strange creatures............
    These pics are before cleaning and molasses dip.

Attached Files:

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

This coming week, I plan to finish the rear crossmember, cleanup the bobbed rails nice and get the banjo located. Plans for the diff include the late-model axle bearing kit, which gives me better strength and axle retention.

As far as the flathead is concerned, it will be a mild engine, daily driver, with 2 carbs modified to hide injectors in the float bowls. I may or may not go Merc crank. Trans will be a T-5 which I've yet to start shopping for. I need to get the trans and adapter soon, so we can locate the mounts in the frame.

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

OK, sorry bout that, I was thinking that other Kennedy guy... and wondered what sort of odd twist it was to relate an A and him.

Looks like a super cool ride started!

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right along the lines of what I have had in the back of my mine for a number of years. I'm in on this one, subscribed.

14. Firstly I love your Suburban

The very best of luck with your build, it's starting to come together and is looking good.We have just finished my sons "A" sedan on a pinched 32 frame and we think they look cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXwtTW-r2Dc

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Here's some pics of the block after molasses bath and full-flow oiling mods. Imagine how much cleaner it'll get after a real hot tanking!

I did the heads too, but probably won't use them. Ya never know....

Attached Files:

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

For wheels, I scored a free set of '54 Chevy rims with the cool bell backside. Well hell, that's not good enough, so I reversed them and welded them up!
    A stout 4" pipe perfectly holds a bolted-on C4 Vette rear hub. That allows me to spin 'em up and verify that they stay true.

Attached Files:

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I really like red rims, but feel they're overdone. The body color will be kind of a bluish-grey teal-ish (classic '30s Ford color), so the rims will either match or compliment that.
    Yes, the valve stems will stay inboard, hoping to find a set of 15" trim rings without stem holes someday.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

To answer a few questions that pop up on some builds, No I'm not using the cowl fuel tank, my wife hates the smell of gas. It's going to reside under or behind the rear seat with a firewall between interior and tank. Bottom of tank will be visible over rear end, in event of a rear end collision, ruptured tank will spill on ground, not in car.
    Fuel tank will definatly be modified to hold an in-tank GM pump. Easy to purchase, easy to install. Quiet operation.
    Rear glass will slide in tracks up/down for those Home Depot lumber runs and flow-thru air.
    '32 style dash, but I gotta few tricks up my sleeve to make it different than most. You'll see.
    UNdecided on A/C, as compressors on flatheads look well, you know...... Open to suggestions on this.
    Sound system will be surround-sound, analog sweetness of an open headered flathead.

I'm sure there's more................

Stay tuned, more updates to follow as time and funds allow... John

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought the funniest photo I have seen on the hamb was of the car on Congress during Roundup with the people in the car wearing big orange earmuffs because of the open headers. I've driven way too many thousands of miles with loud pipes to want the noise out in front of me but to each his own and you can always change that after your wife says she isn't riding in the car again because of the racket from the headers.
    On the ac maybe a black or engine color painted compressor rather than a polished one with black hoses rather than braided ones so that it somewhat fades into the rest of the engine and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and wave at everyone at first glance at the engine.

20. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

The reversed rims on my chopped and channeled Model A coupe were like that.
    Its an incredible hassle to add air or check the pressure.
    First you have to get down in the dirt under the car and then the valve stem is never where you can see it, so you have to keep moving the car til the valve stem appears and then you have to do all that 3 more times.
    It was the first thing I fixed before I did anything else

brEad likes this.
  21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yesterday, got back to work on the rear end of things. Unbolted the front suspension and freed the frame from the jig. Spent some time bobbing the rear and boxing it in. Almost done back there, need to finish the rear crossmember installation................

Attached Files:

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I considered that too, but since I'm going fenderless I'm going to give it a try.

23. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

So loking back, how did those JW frame rails work out for you. I'm new to this and have a 28 Tudor that I'm planning on. What kind of money do you expect to have in that frame when all is said and done. Great job btw. I am paying attention to your build.

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm on my first frame, but the JW rails have been impressive so far. Not sure on money yet, still buying and adding parts to it. The front spindles didn't work out, so 1 step back and 2 steps forward!

The rails fit well into the jig, and I went unpinched on mine.

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Not much to update, except I bought some roundback front spindles and steering arms from Speedway, planning on finding some 53~56 f100 hubs and brakes.

Worked some more on the rear crossmember yesterday, have the frame flipped upside down making life much easier. Ran errands today, maybe grab some pictures tomorrow after work...........

26. speedyg948

speedyg948

oh boy, you said a bad word,AC on a flattie, can see the traditional guys sharpening their axes from here

27. Racrdad

Racrdad

HAHAHA Now that was funny! :D

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, I know. I've never seen an AC compressor that looked right on a flatty. I highly doubt it's gonna happen on my ride.
    Maybe by the time I get the sedan done, I can scrounge an AC unit off a junked Nissan Leaf and plug it in under the seat! HAHA

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was thinking that a black or engine color painted compressor would blend in with the rest of the engine better than an aluminum or shiny aluminum one. I'm going to do that on the 48 when it goes together. I don't think a guy would get away with low mounting one like on an overhead though.