Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "John's build thread" '29 sedan on '32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950ChevySuburban, Oct 15, 2011.

1. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

an a/c compressor that looks like a generator? a driveshaft driven compressor?

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

AC, if it happens, is gonna get back-burnered. I gotta build it, drive it, and get a ticket in it first! Then I'll put mufflers on it!

3. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

this sounds like one sweet a-bone. love the open header idea. i'd use zoomies. loud pipes save lives!

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I like it! Great work!

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Today's update.... spent a few hours finishing up the rear crossmember. Added small bits of metal and welded everything in place. Grinding and smoothing, it finally looks good!

In these pics, the frame is still on the jig upside-down.

Also welded in the front bones mounts, which were just tacked before. And boxed in the front frame horns.

Attached Files:

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Just this "little" bit of work took 5 hours, but it sure is fun!

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I found a set of '56 F100 front hubs and brakes, got them from a friend for $100. Also found out '50 Mercury rims have the same taper as the '54 Chevy rims I reversed for this car. Saves me having to redrill to Chevy pattern! Looking for 3 more 50 Merc rims now........

8. Looking Good John! Come get your change anytime you want! Glad the rims worked to your liking.

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

TODAY'S UPDATE:
    Spent most of Black Friday doing what one's supposed to do on such a day: work on your hotrods!
    Got the frame flipped back right-side up and started on the 1956 F100 front hubs.

First step there was to modify the back of the inner bearing to clear the fillet found on the spindle. I wrapped the bearing in masking tape, cut a hole through the center and ground the edge until it slipped onto the spindle and bottomed out against the knuckle.
    Of course I got carried away and didn't get a pic of this, but it's just a bevel made with a die grinder.

Unwrapped the bearings and made sure they were clean. Packed with grease, new seals and ready to install.........

Attached Files:

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Hubs and drums mounted. No brakes in there yet, main goal is to make this a roller first. What minor funds I have need to remain focused on having this thing roll and steer.....

Attached Files:

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

With the frame back on the table, did some more minor finish welding and grinding. Starting to really look like something!
    Also waiting on a flathead to T5 adapter I ordered, and borrowed a T5 for mockup from my friend Bart. (52pickup here on the HAMB)
    I'm actually planning to just go ahead and purchase this trans from him.

Attached Files:

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

So next to be done is steering, engine and trans mounts, rear end located and sprung and rear '36 bones located.

13. Looking good John! You should give me a call this weekend. I'll be around.

14. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

John,

Congrats on selling the Met. I'm sure the money will come in handy with this project. Looks like you're making nice progress. Keep up the good work.

Mike

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thanks Mike. Yeah I got a couple bucks out of the Met, enough for a flathead T5 adapter, front hubs and brakes, and a few other things. Put my daughter in a Civic, she loves it.

We get the drivetrain mocked up and then I can build mounts and locate the front of the rear bones and the rear axle.
    Funny how each part requires the other part so you can locate the third part!

16. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

John,

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Can't wait to see it rolling around.

Mike

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bad or not I'm putting it on my 8-BA when it finds a car to go in. Too many years of roasting my ass off on road trips and getting beat up with wind and road dirt. Now that I can get the sr discount everywhere it's time for some comfort.

Trouble is I want an A sedan on deuce rails and the wife wants a fat fender.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Minor update: Ordered and received my flathead truck hogshead to get the flatty closer to the T5 transmission.
    Started fitting my rear axle mounts I'm making to connect the '36 rear bones to the banjo. I'll keep pressing forward on these and take pics as I go. Also found out I need to piecut the bones near the axle and take some angle out so they don't cross up front. That's my after-work plans this week.

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Not much to update, got my Dwight Bond adapter, so now we have all the pieces to mock-up the mounts, crossmembers and stuff!
    Still working on the rear axle mounts, life's been busy, hoping to get them done next week. Something so simple taking too long!

20. BobFried

BobFried

I love the look of open headers but lakester pipes are even better. Many times people will use open headers but plumb in rear pipes and make caps to put on the headers. A Y pipe from the headers is what I've seen if your wife wants to ride with you. For the AC A friend used an externall unit and put it in the trunk. he runs two Alternators for 24 Volts and runs the AC off that.

21. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

In Tucson, I would want AC too. You could put a York style compressor on it to keep it somewhat traditional looking.
    [​IMG]

Nice build, keep the updates coming.

22. 1928 ray

1928 ray
    from michigan

whos droping axls in detroit area ?

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

OK, got back on it over the Holidays.
    Took my very solid subrails and brush painted them in POR-15. Since I had the can open and the brushes out, I coated the door edges, cowl edges and the windshield frame/cowl section where no paint will go. I found some numbers stamped in the subrails, so I kept them clean.
    The sixth pic shows the door bottom rot, that'll be an easy fix! Similar for both doors.

Attached Files:

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Made some rear spring U-bolt straps and got the spring in place.
    Nothing like a classic Craftsman grinder and a section of railroad track!

Attached Files:

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Had both halves of the axle mounts I made TIG welded (tacked) together, they are trapped yet rotate around the axle so I can set pinion angle later.
    Mounts fitted to the '36 bones.

The top edge of the mount is unfinished, and will receive the top triangulated tube, which will run parallel to the lower, original tube. They will meet further forward.

Attached Files:

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

These two pics show the coated subrails set on top of the frame.

Attached Files:

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Went to the shop after work and got the engine, adapter and trans bolted together. This isn't my flathead, but its similar and works for mockup.

Set in place and after some adjustments put it where it's gonna reside. Looks good to me, minimal floor trans hump with decent clearance.
    Used engine mounts that Peter had in stock at the Old Ford Store next door. Randy welded them in real nice and I'll grind the tops flush later.

Trans mount is next visit. 'Twas a fun night for sure!

Attached Files:

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Got the body assembled and mounted to the subrails and fitted to the frame. That took a few evenings. Initial placement was wrong, too far back.
    After cutting the subrails to fit the frame, it all tucked in real nice back there.

(The rear axle isn't located yet)

Attached Files:

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

After getting the body in place, we realized the engine was too far forward.
    Oh well, cut and weld!
    Set the grille shell on it to see how things would look. It's an Essex Super Six and operates like a Pines Winterfront

Attached Files:

30. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I took a premade transmission crossmember and added some flanges to it so I can drop out the center for easier trans removal later. Made the flanges in a couple of hours at home and welded them in place this morning with everything aligned true.