Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Speedster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by out plowing, Sep 1, 2011.

1. out plowing

out plowing

Well I not sure that I am starting this thread a bit early, but I need some inspiration or perhaps an artist… This project starts out with the inspiration of Edsel Fords 1934 Model 40 Speedster. In the creation of a speedster, that has queues from the Art Deco cars of the 1930’s & 1940’s. Here is what I have so far, butchered 1935 ford chassis, 1950 Ford Flathead, and a 1930 Model A cowl form a sedan or coupe some closed body type.
    here are a few ideas that i am trying to use in styling the desisn fo the body.

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. dawford

dawford

Here is a drawing of My DAWFORD Special.

I used the fenders, Splash Aperons, running boards and wheel base of a Model A Ford and grafted a Body resembling a 30's/50's British sports car.

I'm building mine with a 3.7 Mercruiser 4 cylinder torquer engine.

The DAW part of the name is made up from my initials and the FORD is due to the Model A Ford frame that I started with making it a DAWFORD Special.

I will peobably stretch the wheel base to 111 inches to make it look longer and lower.

It will end up being a big sports car but due to the light weight components and the 225 hp it should go and handle quite well.

225 hp, 250 ft/lbs torque in a 2000 lb. package.

Dick :) :) :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. dawford,

Have you seen Edsel Ford's last "speedster"? It was based on the '35 chassis and followed the lines of a British 2+2...

[​IMG]

5. dawford

dawford

Thanks Mac,

That lends ligitimacy to what I am trying to acomplish.

I am trying to create a Model A Ford sports car that Henry would have made if he had the technology.

Come to think of it Henry probibly never would have built one like this, but Edsel might have.

Anyway I am using as many Ford components as I can to make the DAWFORD Special look period while making it bullet proof Fast and safe.

The Mercruiser 470 engine uses Ford pistons, rods. bearings and heads in an die cast aluminum block.

By swaping the cast iron 460 head for an after market aluminum head I will create a 4 cylinder, 224 cu/in high torque light weight aluminum engine that along with a 5 speed T-5 will offer plenty of locomotive force for this car.

A well designed modiified Model A chassis with 4 bar suspension and good brakes should make the car handle very well.

Dick :) :) :)

6. Any time Dick,

As mentioned earlier, this was the last special car that Bob Gregorie built for Edsel as an attempt to break into the European sports car market- it never amounted to much, but it ws a nice build!

Oh, and Henry would NOT have built a sports car- he considered them a waste of time (and gave Edsel an earful over the cars that he had Gregorie build). Edsel had to hide his '32 and '34 speedsters in the gardener's shed/garage from Henry.

Looking forward to BOTH of your builds!

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Great site. So little time, so may to look at. Perhaps not quite what this thread was looking for, but it's my favorite on that speedster site, so far... Gary

[​IMG]

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cancel my last... new winner from that Speedster site! Perhaps something like this but with the full fenders / RBs? Gary

[​IMG]

9. out plowing

out plowing

yes there are quite a few choices, i find these of the most interest.

Attached Files:

10. I need some tissues and a cigarette

11. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Good luck with your project.

12. out plowing

out plowing

yup you can definitly see the european style in that one...

13. out plowng- there are LOTS of photos of this speedster that go through the build pretty extensively. I don't remember what I googled (T speedster, probably), but they were on the owner's flickr acct!

[​IMG]

Of all the speedsters on the NWVS site, Peter Daun's is my favorite! Apparently, h built the buck, made a mold, and then destroyed the buck... bummer.

Attached Files:

14. tjm73

tjm73

Some from a recent car auction.

Attached Files:

15. slodat

slodat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, that is my car. My dad and I built the car when I was in high school.

Here is a link to my flickr account with the speedster photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanjorgensen/sets/72157603566811292/

16. lakester47

lakester47

Out plowing,

I love speedsters, look forward to your progress.

17. slodat, you do EXCELLENT work!!! What radiator shell did you use?

18. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Damn that is sexy! I suddenly have the urge to build a speeder.

19. Agreed!!

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I fancy that mine looks SORT OF like something Edsel might have done with a '36. It's rather European looking, although that wasn't what I had in mind when I started. Anyway, it's my take on a Ford speedster.

Brian

Attached Files:

21. Brian,

It does have that "Jensen-bodied" look to it!

22. out plowing

out plowing

Yes I agree, it is a sweet speedster, Tell me what did you use for a engine, i saw a brief corner in the flicker archeive what i thought was a ROJO(sp). what did you use for a transmission, how does it run with the pack?

23. slodat

slodat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine is a Model T block with a Model A crank. The head is an original 20's aftermarket RAJO Model B overhead valve conversion. We run a Stromberg O3 carb.

Here is the engine:
    [​IMG]

The car still has the original 2-speed Model T transmission. In addition we have an aluminum case Warford 3-speed transmission and a 2-speed Ruckstell rear axle.

The car can keep up with modern car freeway traffic, but the problem is stopping. The combination of rear wheel brakes, skinny tires, and light body making stopping very concerning.

The radiator shell is custom made. It was modeled after a 1920's Paige radiator with a stock Model T radiator sitting behind it. We had a nice looking Paige radiator, but it turned out the core was in very bad shape. The Paige radiator and radiator shell are one piece, there is no radiator shell. Instead of replacing the core, it was cheaper and easier to make a new shell.

24. out plowing

out plowing

Just got back from the Local F.A.S.T up in Northwood, Iowa. Wow what some neat cars. here are a few pics that have caught my eye.

Check out that Head... for a Model A ford
    Over head valve with needle bearing rockers, and HUGE intake valves...

Attached Files:

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Ran across a rolling frame with all drive train components from a 30 Plymouth. No body panels, or radiator, thought it would make a good basis for a speedster. the engine is a 196 Cu in L head Banger that makes about 50 hp with its 6 to 1 CR. Wheelbase is 109 which is maybe too long. Thinking of using a couple construction wheelbarrows as the basis for the cowl area, maybe rear offset the co driver's position, then building the rest aircraft style, fabric over wood. Currently has wood spoke wheels, would probably look for some later wires.

Engine would get some more compression, couple of SU carbs and a home built.
    exhaust. Anybody out there have a early MOPAR speedster?

26. out plowing

out plowing

Sounds like a good start.... have you started a thread for your build?

PROJECT UPDATE: scored a mid 30 ford chassis, regretablely it got to close to a fence line fire after getting it home and has burned off the tires... Still debating weather to use the front axel assembly or send it down the road, it atleast has a complete banjo read end, even if the torque tube was cut off.

As for the flathead... it is STILL Stuck!!! i have tried, coke and diesel fuel, wd-40, PB Blaster, vinager, brake fluid, ATF and keroceen. going to try Heat this weekend, going to warm just the piston up and let to cool down then give it a wollup with a BFH!

Attached Files:

27. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

The other day I saw this 1911 T in the local tranny shop. I call it a speedster. I was told it belongs to the owners dad and has been kept under a tarp "outback" for years. Check out the whistle on the exhaust.

Attached Files:

28. out plowing

out plowing

Victory if only a small one, but i managed to knock out one piston with out any damage only 7 more to go.

29. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

here are some cool art deco ones

Attached Files:

30. out plowing

out plowing

UPDATE: 5 pistion out, 2 more loose ready to come out, and 1 REALY Stuck one on TDC. Scored a T-5 from the early 80's, now just need to find the time and score some floor space to get this rolling and mocked up