Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
sylvian
Alliance Member

Default Re: Alexander Brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifarris View Post
Bill's a great guy. He still owns a lot of fabulous cars and pickups.I was lucky enough to hang out at Alexander Brother's shop during the Adonis construction, I was 15. I have breakfast with him Saturday mornings. We call it the breakfast club. We started with 8-12 guys back in the late 70s. Now we have 80-115 guys every Saturday.
Very cool, what an amazing time that must have been and cool that you're still gathering. Bill is great and his story of buying the car new in December of 1959 and taking it to the A Brothers within a couple of months is incredible. He drove that car everywhere!

By the way, your '59 El Camino is stunning. Really inspiring.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #22
hemifarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvian View Post
Very cool, what an amazing time that must have been and cool that you're still gathering. Bill is great and his story of buying the car new in December of 1959 and taking it to the A Brothers within a couple of months is incredible. He drove that car everywhere!

Thanks sylvian. Back at you as far as neat cars are concerned. Bill is impressed with your build. He drove the Adonis to many of Bob Larivee's "Promotions Inc." shows. Back then, Bob Larivee (Detroit Autorama founder) would pay some of the guys money to show up. Bill Whetstone was one of those fellows. Bill would leave Detroit and drive straight through to Dallas for a show, then head somewhere else for the next weekend. Bill is a great guy and very interesting to talk with. I'm handicapped now and can't walk very far. Sometimes I sure wish I could turn back the hands of time......Mike
Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #23
Harms Way
Old School HAMBer

Really great guys, Both of them were quick with a smile, a firm hand shake, and a word of encouragement....They were the perfect combination of true talent,.. and humility.

H.A.M.B. Chapel

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #24
Harms Way
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Bob Larivee (Detroit Autorama founder)
Not trying to be picky,... But just to get the record straight,... Bob Larivee is NOT the Detroit Autorama founder,... The Detroit Autorama was a joint effort of all the clubs that made up the MHRA, To raise money to build a Drag Strip.

Professional promoter Don Ridler was hired in 1956 to promote The Detroit Autorama,.. Bob had a chance to work with him,... And learned the trade very well.

Bob was a member of MMAC (Same club the Alexander Brothers belonged to), and he was at the first Autorama painting show signs, and eventually becoming a prominent promoter. in 1959 Bob and his Brother Marvin founded "Promotions,Inc." He was also in the inception of ISCA, and CASI.

Bob still handles the promotions with CASI,.. But the show is still run with MHRA,... Bob is a friend and a fellow MHRA Member,.... But the founder of The Detroit Autorama is Michigan Hot Rod Association.

Please note,.. no offense intended to anybody,...Just wanted to get this straight.

H.A.M.B. Chapel

Last edited by Harms Way; 08-26-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #25
Custom_Crestline

The victorian was a heavy influence in my custom life, and in my car. Midwest pride.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #26
hemifarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harms Way View Post
Not trying to be picky,... But just to get the record straight,... Bob Larivee is NOT the Detroit Autorama founder,... The Detroit Autorama was a joint effort of all the clubs that made up the MHRA, To raise money to build a Drag Strip.

Professional promoter Don Ridler was hired in 1956 to promote The Detroit Autorama,.. Bob had a chance to work with him,... And learned the trade very well.

Bob was a member of MMAC, and he was at the first Autorama painting show signs, and eventually becoming a prominent promoter. in 1959 Bob and his Brother Marvin founded "Promotions,Inc." He was also in the inception of ISCA, and CASI.

Bob still handles the promotions with CASI,.. But the show is still run with MHRA,... Bob is a friend and a fellow MHRA Member,.... But the founder of The Detroit Autorama is Michigan Hot Rod Association.

Please note,.. no offense intended to anybody,...Just wanted to get this straight.
No offense taken by me. I stand corrected.

Last edited by hemifarris; 08-26-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #27
sylvian
Alliance Member

Quote:
Thanks sylvian. Back at you as far as neat cars are concerned. Bill is impressed with your build. He drove the Adonis to many of Bob Larivee's "Promotions Inc." shows. Back then, Bob Larivee (Detroit Autorama founder) would pay some of the guys money to show up. Bill Whetstone was one of those fellows. Bill would leave Detroit and drive straight through to Dallas for a show, then head somewhere else for the next weekend. Bill is a great guy and very interesting to talk with. I'm handicapped now and can't walk very far. Sometimes I sure wish I could turn back the hands of time......Mike
John Schleicher of St. Paul, Minnesota is the one that did the build on the Adonis recreation, I was just lucky enough to acquire it. He did a beautiful high quality job on the car and was helped by both Bill Whetstone and Mike Alexander. They had many photos, details and drawings that were scrutinized.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #28
thesupersized

I love the alexander brothers' style, the interiors were as cool as the outisde.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victorian.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1410622   Click image for larger version

Name:	alexander bros.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1410623   Click image for larger version

Name:	pontiac.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1410624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bucket.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	1410625  
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #29
sylvian
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesupersized View Post
I love the alexander brothers' style, the interiors were as cool as the outisde.

Very true...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 AM   #30
Harms Way
Old School HAMBer

Below is a picture I think is appropriate,.. Along with a write up (with pictures) on Mike & Larry as a link on the MHRA web sight, www.mhraonline.org.
It's a link to Kustomrama,.... (And thanks Rik !)

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?...ander_Brothers

H.A.M.B. Chapel

Old 08-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #31
sololobo
Old School HAMBer

I applaud this timely post about these two "gentelmen", the most common comment about these brothers. Not only did they build great cars they are always lauded as being great friendly humble guys. It is great to see that humility in people that achieved the high award level these gents have. Really enjoy seeing and hearing more information about their achievements. The excellent picture of the bros at the autograph session shows their glowing demeaner. Thanx to all of you who contributed info in this awesome thread. ~sololobo~ r.i.p. Larry
Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #32
stanlow69

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveoftiki View Post
The Victorian was at a KKOA Show in Holland, Mi some years back and I don't think they knew what they had, heard it was being put back, but have seen nothing of the car other than a photo in Rod and Kustom back than.
What color was it at the time and what year.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #33
Rikster
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlow69 View Post
What color was it at the time and what year.
Probably was in gray primer then...

Custom Car Chronicle online magazine

http://www.customcarchronicle.com
Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #34
Hot Rod Dirty's
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvian View Post

Got to spend last weekend with Bill shooting pics of his cars. Learned more about hot rods, kustoms and even the Alexander Brothers in that weekend than I have in the past 5 years. Amazing stories!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #35
57Custom300

Grew up in Detroit and followed their work through the magazines of the day. I never knew where their shop was and was surprised how "close" they were to where I lived. Would have been a long bike ride but I'm sure I would have made it. Like alot of oldtimers from back then I think we kind of took them for granted for too long. Glad to see them getting their props.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #36
bob-o
Grenade Inspector

I'd give my left one for the Victorian... I really hope that a restoration is currently underway. That car deserves it. And I think the current owner owes it to Larry and Mike to make sure it gets done right.

Los Boulevardos
Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #37
scrubba

God Bless the " A " Bros !!!!!!!!!! scrubba
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #38
M.Edell
Old School HAMBer

Great Stuff!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #39
hoboy56

I had the pleasure of talking to Mike on the phone while I was looking for a glass cutter while chopping my Caddy. Truly a class act. We all miss Larry
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #40
carbuilder

What is the front bumper from on the 56 Ford.