Register now to get rid of these ads!

Henry Seagrave's Slug: First to 200 mph.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

Melted the brake drums. That's too cool! Wonder how far it takes to coast to a stop from 200 mph?

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

excellent read this morning! thanks dude!

quite a ways. i'd think, i dunno... three times the distance it took to GET to the speed? depends on the surface you're running (rolling resistance) mass, wind... hell, the heat of the suns radiation on the surface of the vehicle... im no math wiz, but the equation for this has got to be something looking like it should be painted on the wall of a pyramid on the Giza plateau or carved on an aztec temple lol

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

Daytona Beach is truly the birthplace of speed. I have always been interested in the history of their LSR meets and the brave racers.

5. Guy was way ahead of his time, like many land speed pioneers. Got my history lesson for the day....keep em coming!

6. Thanks jay! We take speeds for granted but 200+ in 1927, think about it!?!?!?!?!?!? WOW~!

7. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Thanks for the history lesson. That vintage film footage is amazing.

8. Moondog13

Moondog13

Awesome! Thank you! :D

9. 8flat

8flat

Very cool. Building tires that held up to that speed was also a major feet for 1927...

10. Especially considering what was available for tires back then, sheesh!

11. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Imagine, it took until 2010 for a Sunbeam to go faster!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc Mayfield now owns the World's Fastest Sunbeam, it just took a while.

catdad49 likes this.
  12. 1927 + 24 cyl. (2x500HP) x 6000 pounds + unknown tires = BIG BRASS BALLS
    :eek::D

13. rusty bill

rusty bill

14. JEM

JEM

Rather curious that all those Sunbeam aero engines that held so many land speed records in the '20s were pretty much flops in things with wings and, while they did lots of different designs, the company's inability to get one or two good ones out the door in quantity helped send them into bankruptcy. The LSR program was really run on money they didn't have.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  15. BigBlockBuck

BigBlockBuck

Amazing footage, especially the aerial shots, 1927, wow!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Can anyone recommend any good threads (or books) on the history of Land Speed Racing in Daytona?<o:p></o:p>

16. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

24 cyl. 1000 h.p. 6,000 lbs., 203 m.p.h., on sand,......on wire wheels...:eek:

17. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Patent Design Drawing -

Attached Files:

18. drmayf

drmayf

Thanks for posting the photos of me and my car on the salt! The two old geezers are, left: Chuck Colley aka Funbeam Chuck, right: Dale Pulju crew chief. That's me sitting in the driver's seat, helmet on. Wife is in teh F250 behind the car. This is the day when I averaged 204.913 mph in the last mile. The exit speed was 210.779 mph so I was still gaining speed. This was to have been a checkout run. I had had an rpm limiting issue and this was to see if I could get over that limit. Yes, I did, but only around the middle of the 4th mile. Neither me or the car had ever been that fast before. Scared spitless, lol.. Car drifitng around and actually breaking rear tire traction at times. Drove the last mile with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the chute release. Man, was I ever glad to see the 5 mile marker. Popped the chute and car went dead straight to stop easily within a mile...

Oh, the date was Sept 16, 2010 at World of Speed.

Fun! Building a slightly smaller motor now, a 289 CID, and adding some swoopiness to the front end. The thing is a barn door aerodynamically. Stay tuned for 2012!

drmayf doc mayfield

and thanks again!

19. racer756

racer756

Great post Doc! Welcome to the hAMB!

20. wanabe28

wanabe28

People mention the brave drivers, How about the brave spectators standing feet away from a world record. Could only imagine the what they were thinking way back then watching an Englishman breaking 200mph on American soil.

21. awesome story. i find it funny that the first car to break 200mph was named "the slug" lol:D

22. Greezeball

Greezeball

Holy cow! Going 200+ in that would be like jumping out of an airplane with a bed sheet for a parachute!

23. Jive-Bomber Jay -

Very cool ... thanks for posting!

Here's some more pics ('cuz a Blog/thread can never have too many :)) ...

... B&W photos:

Major Henry Segrave & his Sunbeam.jpg Official Record Notification.jpg Segrave's Sunbeam Daytona 1927.jpg
    Segrave's 1000hp Sunbeam.jpg Segrave's Sunbeam - 1927.jpg Segrave's Sunbeam.jpg
    People admiring Segrave's Sunbeam.jpg Major Henry Segrave pictured in his 100 hp Sunbeam record breaker in 1927.JPG Worlds Fastest Slug.JPG

... a Cutaway drawing:

Segrave's Sunbeam - Cutaway.gif

... Post Cards & artwork:

Segrave's Sunbeam Post Card 1.jpg Segrave's Sunbeam Post Card 2.jpg
    Segrave's Sunbeam Post Card 3.jpg Segrave's World LSR Sunbeam @ Daytona Beach - March 29th 1927 (artist unknown).jpg

24. ... and some recent photos taken @ the National Motor Museum (Beaulieu/Hampshire, UK):

Segrave's Sunbeam @ the National Motor Museum (view from above).jpg Segrave's Sunbeam @ the National Motor Museum (3-4 front view).jpg Segrave's Sunbeam @ the National Motor Museum (side view).jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

25. flamingokid

flamingokid

An amazing feat for the day....

26. gas pumper

gas pumper

Taking a close look at Hemi32's chart: it's geared for 212mph @ 2000 rpm.

Thanks.

27. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

are those armor plate inner fenders in that cutaway?!?