Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech week..Got a broom handle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bucksnort, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

I am not smart enough for some real tech but this does subscribe to the no or very little cost way of making the chore a little easier.
    Do a fair amont of cabinet blasting rods and pistons.Discovered that a broom handle I had would fit the pin bore.Just cut to length,I use 8-12 inches,stuff it into the bore and you have a great handle to rotate the rods and pistons.Much easier than your hand which gets in the way.
    Yes,the handle does wear some,just move the rod/piston to another spot.When the wood is worn too small,cut a fresh piece of handle.
    It also makes a great stand to clean,scuff the rods.Don't have a piston vice so I clamp the wood in a vice and it makes ring install pretty easy.
    Pistons like to flop around by themselves and this frees both hands for the install.It's cheap/free and has helped me out a bunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Why not! Good idea!

3. Simple solutions are always the best

4. Boozer

Boozer

Neccessity is the mother of invention.

Not related to the broom handle part, but i'm curious.... how well does the masking tape hold up in the blasting cabinet? Just use multiple layers?

edit:
    BTW: I noticed the blurry two-liter bottle holder in the background of the last picture doing double duty as a piston organizer. I'm sure tons of guys kn here already know about that one, but it's still a good low tech tip.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Now you tell me...................after I went and turned a couple out of aluminum for my big and small block chevys.:eek::cool::D.

Frank

6. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Masking tape holds up well.PSI is around 40-50 but as long as you don't focus on one spot of the tape,it's fine.2 layers work good,1 if you are a good shot.:) This is with glass bead,if I was using alum.oxide,silicon carbide,I would go with the anti blast tape and duct tape,but the masking tape is more flexible,easier and leaves no residue.
    Plastic bottle holders are a wonderfull invention.

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ah..the joys of having a lathe.I would do the same if I had one.