Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who was the first?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JamesG, Dec 3, 2003.

1. JamesG

JamesG

Who was the first menber on the HAMB? I see Ryan is #5. Just wondering......

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

First real member was Junebug from the Dirty Shirt Company, but he hasn't been around for years... Members #1 through #3 is the HAMB back door used for administration only. Member #4 is my fake account that I use to register people that have problems doing so themselves...

Want to know something amazing??? The HAMB will be 9 years old in January!!!! Even more amazing??? Thanks to some incredible members, this will be the first year in those 9 that the HAMB will not cost me any money (so I think, I will do financials in Jan) - all that and traffic almost DOUBLED this year.

3. I wasnt the first but I am no.1!

hey Ryan, my name sucks dude.... help me out.

check that out!
    im the gooch!

4. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

that is GREAT to hear Ryan. WOW! A+! and its all thanks to you!

5. JamesG

JamesG

Damn Ryan thats kool bro, congrats! I'v only known of this site for a couple of years but I freaqented the Jalopy Journal a lot. A HUGE "Ataboy!" to Ryan all of those thats help Ryan and his quest to have the Bitchinest message board on the net! P.S.-Do you still have that badass black coupe? I saw it at Hanging Dice Nats 99'.

6. HAAS

HAAS

Thats nuts, 9 years old. Damn did the internet exist 9 years ago.

7. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you still have that badass black coupe? I saw it at Handin Dice Nats 99'.

[/ QUOTE ]

38 ford deluxe and yes

8. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

boy do i have some punk cards to pull.... just kidding:

do you mean that Jalopy Journal will be 9 years old?
    the hamb's what, 4 years old?

congrats anyway

9. [ QUOTE ]
    Damn did the internet exist 9 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

been around since the 60's...even without Al Gores's help

10. ShortBus

ShortBus

I wasn't first (#148), but I've been a HAMBer since I was 4 years old. check my reg. date...
    <~~~~~

11. damn shortbus your hardcore hamb! must have been lonley in 69. ryan, thanks. man this thing has got to be a full time job in itself.

12. Congrats, Ryan. We all owe you a cold one. BTW, all the guys here at work wanna know why it's called "Hokey Ass Message Board"?

Jay

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Because it sounds better than "Old Farts who never grew up!"

Gee Wally, I just found out what a beaver is! [​IMG]

14. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Ryan, with the volume of traffic this site generates, there must be a way to keep it financially sustainable without relying on your injection of funding and the genrosity of HAMB'rs and their auctions. I'm not talking about prostituting the HAMB to the billet advertisers. I suspect there are plenty of traditional and non-traditional advertising dollars out there that would be interested in getting coverage of their products noticed by HAMB members. Not pop-up ads or banner ads but perhaps a separate splash page where HAMB'rs could go with links to the companies that support the HAMB.
    Just some thoughts from a fellow Biz schoool grad.........but you have probably beaten this idea to death previously.

15. atch

atch

[ QUOTE ]

.........but you have probably beaten this idea to death previously.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes...

16. here's an idea, just an idea mind you. so if i'm steping over the line i apologize. how about $1.00 a month. the way i see it ryan shouldn't have to spend his money so we can call each other fags all the time. and we are the ones enjoying the fruits of his labor. maybe if mandatory is a bad idea it could be voluntary? i'm sure there would be plenty of support. go look at a yahoo board. it's worth a $1.00 to me not to whore it out.

17. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

We are a sick bunch!
    Clamoring to be on something 9 years old.

JIm

18. CruZer

CruZer

Wow,Ryan. My '40 has been on the Jalopy Journal that long??!! It's not surprising to me that this has been the best year yet.This place just keeps getting better and better.
    Oh,,, and about the funding??? The auctions are the way to go,not only does it generate the needed funds; it also keeps people involved. Dues or subscriptions are just that. Write a check once a year and forget about it.

19. yea cruzer thats a good point i hadn't thought of. and heres another. if people start having to pay dues. then some will start demanding stuff. so that was a bad idea i guess. just hate for it to cost ryan money thats all.

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

his name was Tim and I lived in ElCajon and was..... oops, wrong "first" [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. CruZer

CruZer

Oh good one,Denise. Don't stop now.... Tell us more !!! [​IMG]

22. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I lived in El Cajon, but my name wasn't Tim...
    Spent most of my time and money at Kings Club on Broadway and in Nasty City biker bars tho... [​IMG]

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

CruZer, those "stories" are better told over a few adult beverages in person. [​IMG]

SmokinJoe, the only place I was "allow" to go to on Broadway was the mall. [​IMG] My bike stayed parked in the bike stand out front many a Sat afternoon while my butt was at the beach with said boyfriend. I wasn't "allowed" to date yet. Looking back on it now, I wasn't "allowed" to do too much back then. [​IMG] Seems I always had a good time though [​IMG]

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

This place ROCKS! 9 years old and pulling it's own weight, thats very cool.

Viva La HAMB

24. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

[ QUOTE ]
    Congrats, Ryan. We all owe you a cold one. BTW, all the guys here at work wanna know why it's called "Hokey Ass Message Board"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me that the first ever post was from Ryan, and went something along the lines of "Here it is guys, I hate hokey-ass message boards."

25. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Ryan or Killer?

26. I figgered it was sumpthin like that... thanks DR.

Jay

27. kustomd

kustomd

I don't know who all was before me but it looks like i'm #12 I think. [​IMG]

28. Harell Los Angeles

Harell Los Angeles

Hey I still live in El Cajon! But I like It.
    Harrell

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You "real" names not Tim, is it???? [​IMG]

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I say the HAMB is nine, cuz there were about ten of us that had a private message board from geocities starting in 1995... Only it wasn't really a message board back then - it was a "notes service" or "news list"... It sucked, but we liked it at the time. I think the only person left from that private group is Christian.

It wasn't till around '97 or so that I actually opened a public board using one of those free services. That lasted for a couple of years till they kicked us off due to bandwidth and we went with ubb.topic for one month... I got a $650 bill for that month and freaked. We then went to the temporary pokimon board for two days while I stayed up for 48 straight hours to build the board (heavily hacked UBB.classic) we used before this current board. As for this version of the HAMB, it's a hacked UBB.threads board that a friend of mine from Germany helped me put together. It taxes the hell out of the server, but it works so well and is so stable that I think it's perfect for what we do...

The first three posts on the classic &amp; public HAMB were myself, Shag, and Jason...

AHotRod and Tman like this.