Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driveshaft driven alternator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RotHod, Apr 30, 2005.

1. RotHod

RotHod
    from So Cal

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I had a friend who did that on his SBC powered fiberglass 34 3W.

He had a LOT of trouble with it........

Under the car is a hostile place for a alternator, AND it is not turning when the car is sitting at a light or at idle. The RPMS are not as high on the driveshaft as the RPMS on a engine either :(

I would NOT do it.....just my 2 cents .......

:D

3. Trailer Queen Show Car influence.
    Just like on TV.:rolleyes:

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This has been around for a long time and I've always wondered how well it worked. I could see it being OK on a primarily highway driven car but stop and go traffic could result in a dying battery, especially at night. As Deuce said the driveshaft RPM's are less than engine RPM's until you reach high gear, then they are the same in a 1:1 high gear transmission. With an overdrive trans the driveshaft speed is actually faster than engine speed, so in that scenerario it might be a slight advantage. Weighing all factors I wouldn't do it.

Frank

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

race cars like porsch and other gtp, gtr gt1 racers usde it all the time but on any street driven car there are lots of problems.

that car looks like the belt is just looped around the drive shaft.

6. i did it once on a Model A roasdster , never had any problems...but it was never driven in any heavy trafffic/stop and go...plus there wasn't a heavy current draw like electirc fan/air

it had an amp gauge and would show a slight dischage at idle , and would go to charge as soon as it started moving

i don't think i'd do it again , there wasn't any advantage to it

7. coupe5w36

coupe5w36

I've seen this a few times, but mostly on "show cars'. The main reason seems to be because it's different & therefore a talking point. From a practibility stand it's not worth the effort (my viewpoint) & as has been mentioned by others cops heaps of water & mud if you choose to drive your on anything other than a "perfect" day. Cheers.

8. thrasher

thrasher

i always thought that was something they did on the salt flats

9. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

we did on a sedan we built a while a go it seems to work fine.

Attached Files:

10. Bugman

Bugman

Tucked up by the axle isnt as hostle as you'd think. The new Mustangs mount the alternator down in teh lower left corner of the engine, level with teh crankshaft pully. It gets nearly as much road spray in teh rain as a rear alternator would, and it's made to last at least 100,000 miles driven year round.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

12. I have been driving my rpu with this setup for a couple of years with no problems, day or night.

13. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

About 20 years ago a friend mounted an AC compressor in his A coupe and ran it off the driveshaft. Worked ok till he got in slow traffic or had to stop.

14. fms427

fms427

My two cents worth from building both race cars and hot rods: Driving the alternator from the prop shaft is very common on road race or circle track cars , because there is so much more competing for front-of-engine space (dry sump pump,structural engine mounting plates,etc.). Since a race car starts once (hopefully) and then runs at high speed the rest of the time , this works quite well. But I would never do it on a street car for all of the reasons mentioned already.