Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Ford F1 gas tank location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Where did you locate your gas tank & what did you use for a tank.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. RAY With

RAY With

It sits behind the seat-Filler neck is on the passenger side of the cab--This is the factory location and I used a Factory tank and sender--In the picture you can see the top of the tank and sending unit

Attached Files:

3. That is exactly what I would do. Someone will try and say its not safe and the truck is going to burn to the ground but its still here after all these years isn't it. ;)

Ray nice truck friend.

4. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

My 51 is still in the stock location....has been for the 20 years I have been driving it.....and the 40 before that

5. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

The stock location is OK as long as there is no accident. Remember the Pinto. I would rather be safe than sorry. Anyone have an alternate location that is safe.

Bob

6. bshepherd

bshepherd
    from michigan

the pinto was not because of location, the tank the groung for the turn signal attatched to it. under the right circumstances they ignite as do the saddle tanks on 73-87 chevys. this happens only under the perfect conditions. Think about it the tank is protected by the cab and the frame. if you got in an accident bad enough to ruptture the tank you would likely already be dead. make sure its securely fastened and properly vented and you will be fine

7. Some guys use a late 60's Mustang tank under the bed at the back....also a 70's blazer tank I think. Both of these put the filler in the bed floor, which I don't like. Mine is still in the cab, I would like to move it to gain more room....

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Mine also is in the stock location. There is absolutely Nothing wrong with the stock location. I would rather have it in the center of the vehicle protected by the cab and frame, then hanging out behind the rear end just waiting to get rear ended and punctured by the rear axle. Ask a State Trooper once how they feel about the gas tank location on Crown Vics and you will understand.

9. 1996 GMC Vandura. Full size cargo van. Tank fits perfect. Put it in sideways even used the mounting straps from the van.

Attached Files:

10. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Stock location on mine, with new filler hose sections, so no leaks and no fumes. It sits on a major crossmember, well-protected. Putting them in the rear makes for some kind of hole in the bed to fill it, or a long pipe oiver to the fenders.

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Mine is a Mercury M-47 ... but it has the same basic cab as a F-1 ...
    I am planning on using the stock tank. I have found a real nice one, had it vatted, installed a 12V SW sending unit and it is ready to go back into the pickup when needed. I will install new rubber neck connectors, and call it done.

[​IMG]

I could use some signal light housing trim ( shiny ) and a Mercury radio delete plate ... :D

12. k-member

k-member

Stocker in mine. If you take the tank out for more room, you wont gain much unless you really like sitting dead straight up. The top of my stock seat back almost touches the back of the cab already. And try and get the stock tool tray for the tank as well, it comes in handy for all kinds of stuff.

13. hello. I may have both those items.. I will try and remember to look. feel free to bug me, as I am old..lol Lloyd

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I guess it's kinda the old arguement of whether the gas tank should be in a place almost impossable to damage, but right next to you or easy to damage and far away, kinda like model a gas tanks vs 32's

15. orcas tow

orcas tow

65 Mustang 16 gallon tank behind the rear end or a 69 Mustang/Cougar 20 gallon tank, both fit nicely between the rails & are a flange style tank, no straps. As far as I understand the Mustang sender is compatible with the stock F-1 gauge.

16. brewsir

brewsir

That's the tank I like....only about $120 on ebay including everything you need. I had to trim a small amount off the inside edges of the framerails (maybe a quarter inch each side) and remove one crossmember and add another....I also pie cut the side rails a little so the tank could sit flush on the rails....if you have any ability to do fab work you can put the mustang tank in the back....yea you probably need to put the filler in the bed...but are you really hauling that much that you can't plan ahead?
    [​IMG]

17. Ole don

Ole don

You may want to look in to a Ranger tank that is bolted to the frame and some hangers on the left side behind the cab. There are steel skid plates available from the 4X4 model.

18. orcas tow

orcas tow

I installed the 69 Mustang tank today, filler is in the bed floor, a little trimming of the frame rails is required, moved the 2 rear cromembers forward & back, pretty simple install, it all comes out the bottom if repair is needed.
    Lots of clearance & the stock F-1 gauge reads accurate with the 69 Mustang sender too.

Attached Files:

19. mtflat

mtflat

Change the location if you want to - but don't pretend you have to because the stock location is dangerous.

Here's an accident story for you Bob....

9 years ago I was rear-ended by a 3/4 ton Ford 4x4 X-cab that hit me hard enough to spin my 48 F1 around and dump it in the ditch hard enough to bend a wheel and axle in the 9" rear. The collision emptied my glovebox all over the seat.

My stock location gas tank didn't lose a drop even tho the box was shoved into the back of the cab, twisted a frame rail and broke a motor mount/waterpump, etc

I won't guess how the story would have ended with a rear mounted gas tank, but as it was I went home for a spare, changed the flat and drove the truck for a month until the shop could get me in to straighten the frame. The other truck went home on the back of a wrecker.

20. slammed49

slammed49

Volare tank behind the rear axle,fits like a glove and fills through the bed floor,cherry in my opinion...it matches the Volare rear end and the Volare front clip...oh yea,they all came from the same $200 donor car...Chevy motor though.

21. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Any pics of the Volare tank set-up?

22. orcas tow

orcas tow

Heck I just did it for more legroom, got the seat back another 4 inches.

23. Cisco52

Cisco52
    from Texas

Has any one made their own bed for a 52 chevy pickup

24. wtf????

25. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

WOW, Really??? First post, no intro, and tried to hijack a thread about Fords.

Back to the subject at hand.

I had a similar incident to MtFlat. Only I got T-boned by a '95 Crown Vic piloted by a blind old man who could no longer see stop signs. Smashed the bed good, put the box into the back of the cab, and torqued the frame well. However, the stock fuel tank didn't spill a drop either.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  26. 59pache

59pache

i have a 30 gallon fuel cell under the bed on my 59. comes in handy for the long trips.

27. Carter

Carter

Never had an issue with stock tank in the stock location. Why fix what's not broke?

28. 52 Thunder

52 Thunder
    from Canada

I still have the stock location in mine with no problems, just had the tank redone and replaced the sender & filler hose, no fumes at all!

29. Here's mine, universal from Tanks.

Attached Files:

30. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Stock location in my 51.