Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Hawaiian Channelled 1932 Ford Roadster - the birds like it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Oct 21, 2010.

1. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Pretty excited to have just acquired this cool old hot rod built in Hawaii in the 60s so the story goes.

[​IMG]

A genuine steal 1932 Ford roadster that was built in the 1960′s on Molokai Hawaii, this car may be a great piece of hot rod history (unconfirmed yet - anyone ever seen this car?). It runs an olds rocket motor (any more info on that from anyone?) but the transmission is long gone. It still has it’s original 1932 ford frame but it has angle iron welded on it in various places (to strengthen the frame for the new Oldsmobile motor I’d guess).

It has a dropped front axle with juice brakes, the grill looks like two 32 shells welded together. The car rolls and steers fine, the body has quite a bit of rust and the doors have been welded shut. The cowl vent is there (just covered up), original front cross-member is retained just frame horns cut off. The fenders are raised above the belt line in the rear, so it is a few inches above its original mounting holes.

I also spot a cool 5 in a row dash with what looks like a Stewart Warner speedo (as better pics to hand I’ll post them), a fuel filler on the deck lid, some rust in the trunk, 1950 Pontiac tail lights, molded in rear license plate surround a 1950 Ford (?) steering wheel, pie crust slicks on what look to be reversed wheels (white is cool and very 60s) that poke out just the right amount, truck steering box, cycle guards at the front, Model A rear cross member seems to be welded under the frame, chrome valve covers on the Olds Rocket motor. The grille is kind of funky, not sure about that. Certainly is unique.

I’ve yet to see the car (I’m in Australia – it’s in USA) but I’m excited as anything about scoring this and the price would make your jaw drop (in a good way!). At first I thought it was a joke but she’s mine alright. All mine. I might finish it up as a roadster copy of my Blue 32 five window ( http://www.hotrodstreet.com/1932-ford-5-window-hot-rod-york-coupe/ ).

It might be a bit rough but at least the birds like it!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. AWESOME!!! I would love to see that done up like your coupe.

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I agree, I bought it because it's old, already channeled, is a cool old hot rod and it cou8ld be finsihed off to resemble my coupe. A roadster version would be cool and I could make it right hand drive without too much drama and I can play with this one where as the coupe should not be touched given it's history.

Anyone from Hawaii remember this roadster?

4. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Congrats, looks like a fun project.

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

I agree it's, a cool old hot rod and it certainly would look good done like your coupe, but why change to RH drive ?? driving on the left with LH is cool as well...........

my 2c

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a great project, can't wait to see it at some Aussy runs!!

Doc.

(PS, Paint looks like shit........:D:p;))

7. That should keep you busy. Whats the score with the new import restrictions in OZ or are you just importing the body with some parts and leaving the chassis with the seller ?

8. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

The problem with LHD where I live is that I can not drive it on public roads. LHD is allowed but the cars must be factory stock. It's a fight we struggle with. There are other areas in the country where modified LHD cars are fine (after I fix that frame of course). I might move state. Not decided yet.

9. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Hahaha, classic. I was looking for the line! You found it.

I will get official papers to say it was constructed in the 60s (before 1989 is ok) and it should sail in.

10. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Gota do what you gota do..............the bastards haven't gone that far here ...... (Yet :mad:) good luck with it ......looking forward to the build.

11. Wow, You move quickly. I just saw this car last night on the HAMB classifieds. Good score.......Don.

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I grabbed it off the bay. Didn't even know it was on here. I thought (with such a low price) it was a joke. I think I got a bargain which makes it all the cooler.

13. .....And I see you just posted that it's SOLD. Good move.

14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yeah, thought I better claim it. Thanks for the tip. I was worried that it would have been available for a cheaper H.A.M.B. price but no, same price. CFan't wait to get it home and start rubbing.

Anyone know what sort of Rocket engine that is? I've had a Nailhead 401, Got Flathead 239 and 255 and 337, a Hemi 331 and now an Oldsmobile Rocket...happy days. I hope its not dead.

15. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Had to photoshop the crap out of this photo.

[​IMG]

16. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Congrats! I followed this one on ebay too :)

17. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks. Had to grab it. It grabbed me actually. It said "look at me!...I'm just like your other car! Kinda sorta"

18. Thats what I was thinking! Nice score....

19. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Have you SEEN this car in Person ???

I hope your ready for it & I hope you have alot of spare '32 Body parts.

Don't wanna Talk Heavy Shit about this car, But it is ROUGH !!

I spoke with the guy selling it at a Swap meet, Funny, He told me it was Originally built with a Y-Block Ford :confused:

I wouldnt try to De-Rust it, You may need a new body afterwards.

But then.... Maybe You can make a Cool Roadster out of it :D

Save the Old Girl from her current state of ... well ..... I Dunno, Just Save Her !

20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

No, have not seen it. It's a bit hard being in a different country. It's good enough for the price and at least it's not all dented up and shit like the last cheap coupe I bought.

I'll do my best to save her and there's nothing like working on a genuine 32 to keep me motivated. This car will be saved and will shine on down the road, hopefully together with the coupe (that'd be a sight!) but yeah, I expect it to be pretty rough for the price. Thanks for the warning though and you can rest assured that I will NOT be selling this one for $1.00.

21. hey craigslist of hawai ?

i say move to where the car is keep it american mate

22. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

Man I nearly hit the buy it now on that car last night. Congrats and make that thing cool again. That is a great buy in my opinion.

23. Looks decent in the pics, hopefully everything comes out good in the end.

24. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

damn thats cool...it would be neat to make the roadster version of our coupe..

25. Justin B

Justin B

26. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I'd LOVE to! Got a cool Sister who's handy with a spanner I can marry?

Glad you didn't!

Thanks Justin. Lots of opinions in that thread. Some good, some bad but I'm happy with this and will make it like it without too many more mods.

27. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

I am in love with it man. lol.

1shot

28. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Just spoke to the guy who brokered this for me and he sent some more (larger) pics of the car. If you click the thumbnails and then the pics again they will open up to full size. Stewart warner gauges are cool and for the first time I saw the front of the rear fenders. I like a short bobbed fenders. Body doesn't look that bad. Unsure if we can pick the doors apart again and the rear fenders do seem like they could also come off without too many tears.

Hoping to get some pics of it from back in the day - apparently some exist.

Attached Files:

29. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Congrats on the car! Looks like a typical homebuilt rod,rough as hell. but thats what you get buying old untouched hotrods.
    Im going through one at the moment..built in 53/54..stripped it down to nothing, and slowly repairing/remaking all the dodgy work. the trick is to replicate the work in a safe , strong manner that looks like some love went in too.

Call me, missed you the other day.