Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of Larry Watson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey fellas, one of our own is pretty sick right now - Mr. Larry Watson. I don't know the details, but do know this has been ongoing for the past couple of months.

Knowing Larry, he would rather us talk about his legacy than the details of his condition. So, I thought I would start it out...

Post your Larry Watson stories and images here!

Attached Files:

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A few more...

Attached Files:

3. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you Mr. Watson! You've inspried so many with your talent and creativity!

4. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

My ex girlfriend bought me a book full of 60's Kustoms and some of Larry's work is in there. I love that book because of the cars. Inside is a valentines message from her though, so I have to keep the book hidden in my drawer so my other half doesn't see it. What do you reckon I will get into more trouble for; hiding the book with a valentines message in it or trying to make up some crapball excuse about it not being about the old valentines message? :D

5. 51hrdtp

51hrdtp

One heck of a painter. I have a book at home and look at some of the panel paint jobs he has done. His stuff still holds up to this day.

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

He was a great inspiration to me as a kid learning how to paint in the early 60's. He is a real pioneer and I still marvel at the stuff he did back then. It was way out in front of the crowd.

Hope he gets better soon.

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Get well soon Mr. Watson!

[​IMG]

8. Style For Days & A cheap date......

Kustom Chicken wrap & Water from the local Jack In The Box. Where everyone there knows him = $2

Listening to him tell stories from back in the day and him telling me exactly the color and code of most of the cars he painted. Going back to his house and him appreciating me pointing out his attention to detail and organization skills in his museum = PRICELESS

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  9. Grapevine..... and Watson's scallops have been burned into my mind for over 30 years.

I was 8 years old, Grapevine was the very first car I laid eyes on while digging thru the few car magazines my dad kepy over the years. I know why my dad kept that one.

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I consider Larry Watson to be a legend and a personal friend. Low Riders all over owe every paint job they create to the man !

Ryan, when i announce my big surprise Larry will be asked to be our special guest!

11. Rikster

Rikster

My thoughts are with him...!!! and his loved once.

[​IMG]

© James Potter photo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. froghawk

froghawk

A true artist! His Squarebird, '59 Caddy coupe, and the Jack James '57 Buick are among my ten favorite cars of all time!

Best wishes to Mr. Watson for a full recovery!

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A Master and a color Genius.

14. Rikster

Rikster

Larry signed a copy of the Kustoms Illustrated article I did on a few of his cars...
    I feel very proud having it!
    Larry was extremely helpful in another article I did for Kustoms Illustrated supplying a lot of photos, and information to get all the details documented well.

[​IMG]

15. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Wishing the LEGEND health and happiness for a long time to come. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple months back....an encounter I won't soon forget.

16. krooser

krooser

Watson's "panel" paint jobs set the standard... best wishes for a swift recovery Mr. Watson.

17. John Denich

John Denich

Yup a Legend and a good buddy...He is always putting me to the test about Kustoms....Giving me his Kustom History Quiz over lunch!!! I spend hours and hours at his place just looking at pics..and asking questions! Always a good time with Larry!

The one of Larry, Junior and Me at Juniors shop is my favorite!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  18. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Not many guys out there changed the scene as much as Larry Watson. He's inspired so many with his wild creations. Get well.

Attached Files:

19. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I hope he gets well!! He will be in my prayers..

20. VonWegener

VonWegener

Of all the legends I met Larry is the one I can most relate to. Ed Roth was a good friend but very quiet about his past. Watson on the other hand will describe a certain day in the sixties with minute detail including where the sun would hit the candy pearl.
    We share a common interest, classic modern houses, and of course Watson has been a style leader there too. He considered buying John Lautner's Chemosphere, the Lautner Garcia house and finally settled on another fine dwelling because of the most parking spaces.
    There is a Watson screenplay that he has been shopping around and it would make a damn fine movie about life in the sixties.
    I hope he gets well to be around for decades more. Class act all the way!

21. One of if not the greatest custom painter of all time. Sad to hear another legend is not well. Here's to a speedy recovery!

22. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Larry Watson is amazing. I'm a painter and he has influenced me a ton. I have a picture of him spraying a car taped to my tool box at work.

23. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Larry Watson to me has to be one of the COOLEST people on this planet, my best wishes and prayers go out to him!

Nick.

24. sorry to hear it...Larry changed the way customs were painted for decades.

25. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Get well soon Mr. Watson! Your work has always been a huge inspiration to me, and no doubt millions of others!

26. Moldy

Moldy

<b>Larry is the best, he's been fighting this thing for awhile now and as I understand he's been keeping a real positive head about it.

The foto below was taken a couple of years ago when the Rod Tossers went over to Larry's place right after he opened it!

Larry and Gene were appearing at one of my events together which was a lead into their first annual Custom Car and Hot Rod Gathering!

[​IMG]

Now going into it's 3rd year! The guest List to this event is absolutely Amazing and pretty much Everybody listed Shows up!

Their next event slated for October 23rd and 24th 2010!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can go to: http://www.rodtossers.com for more info!

I'm pretty sure if'in ya wanted to send Larry a card you could send it in care of Gene Winfield at 8201 Sierra Hwy. Mojave, CA 93501 Or Call Dave at (760) 762-6861

Keep them Prayers and positive thoughts comin'!
    God Bless You Larry!

m

27. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Grapevine has gotta be my favorite custom of all time! I hope mr. Watson has a speedy recovery.

28. Hellfish

Hellfish

Watson's designs inspired the 2 cars I'm currently working on.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This one is a huge influence for sure...

[​IMG]

Get well soon...

30. Larry, your work was the inspiration for the candy panel paint job I did on a 64 Caddy back around '79-'80. All my friends thought I was nuts (It wasn't a day-glo mini truck), but it was the coolest. Get well, there's a bunch of us here who still need to meet you.