Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Dave MacDonald Channel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. rick finch

rick finch

Yup, him and Mark Donahue were the two I followed religiously....I was listening to the '64 Indy 500 on the radio with my dad. The crash that ended his life was horrible beyond belief. R.I.P.Davey:eek:

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There are some really gnarly pics and video of the accident... I was gonna post them, but they just aren't fun to look at... Especially on a Thursday morning.

4. TomWar

TomWar

Dave MacDonald and the 00 Corvette were Really something to watch. I remember him at the Oakland airport and down at Laguna Seca. But I think what got him at Indy was the way he always drove. it was okay in a Corvette, but not an Indy Raoadster.

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

Several top drivers passed on driving Mickey Thompson's Allstate Special before MacDonald agreed to do it.Apparently the car had some bad handling characteristics.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

A truly great race car driver and on of the greatest of all time ! His racing record speaks for himself and I can't think of anyone that would come close to his driving ability . A huge loss !

Retro Jim

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Am i the only one watching the bumper of the coups to see how flat it's going to corner? I am much more interested in that than the scenery.

,,,but i do have a basset hound named Duntov. :)

Great footage! I'll do well to get any work done.

8. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

One of my favorite memories of racing back in the day was watching Dave in the Shelby King Cobra go roundy round at Laguna Seca. After dinner we went down to the local Ford dealer in Monterey who loaned garage space to the Ford powered cars (Ford was on fire back then with the 289.) We stood behind the rope and watched the mechanics thrash on the cars...so cool!

9. Hisik

Hisik

What car is in the title picture? It's absolutely amazing.

One of the sexiest shapes I've ever seen.

10. Hisik

Hisik

Alright, answer my own question.

It's a Shelby King Cobra, and I stand behind the statement that it has amazing lines.

Very very wild.

11. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Take a look at this video of the '63 LA Times Grand Prix at Riverside, the show later in the year at Laguna Seca was virtually the same. Check out Dave's "drifting " style as he throws the King Cobra through the turns. I have some 8mm of these cars from that era, but this video is nicely done, enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDbtiw5Emew

12. 296ardun

296ardun

I think he was from El Monte, and reportedly did some drag racing before moving on to sports cars...legend was in Pasadena that he sometimes hung out at Shaps, a famous watering hole that used to be on Colorado Blvd (I think?)...

13. bertbrown

bertbrown
    from ca

Yes, Dave was from El Monte, lived on Hallwood. He did some drag racing in a Corvette, a '58 if I remember correctly.
    He also worked as a mechanic at Service Chevrolet in Pasadena when Don Nicholson was there.
    Terry Prince, who used to have Dyno tune his 60 B/S Chevy, told me one of Dave's specialities was to install extra tail lights in the '61 Corvettes when owners wanted to go with 6 tail lights!

14. Kirra MacDonald

Kirra MacDonald
    from San Diego

This is great footage! Dave is my grandpa, and I don't think I've ever seen this before! Would you mind sending me the footage of the crash please? I have seen a few pictures before but never the video. Thank you!

15. TomWar

TomWar

You have to be very proud of your grandfather, 45+ years ago he was my hero driver!!

16. TomWar

TomWar

I remember at Oakland he was leading with his buddy Jerry Freitas in second and Dave spun out, on the last lap. Dave waited for Jerry to come around, and then he drag raced him to the finish!

17. Kirra MacDonald

Kirra MacDonald
    from San Diego

I am SO proud of him! It's nice to hear from some of his fans :)

18. ts3x65mph

ts3x65mph

Afew pic's of your Grandfather & Taking The Flag At Phoenix

Attached Files:

19. noboD

noboD

Your grandfather was one of my early racing heros.