Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who makes up the hokey ass rules?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by retiredfireguy, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

I started hanging out on this site because it seemed like a great place to ask questions and get good, useable answers to those questions. Now there just seems to be a lot of snobbery. People ask reasonable questions, and instead of getting those good answers, they just get put-downs. When I asked about this on another thread, I got back a vague reference to "unspoken guidelines". What kind of elitist bullshit is that? How does one follow rules that are apparently secret, arbitrary, and subject to change? Now I suppose some self-appointed censor will delete this, but I have to at least make a try at getting some answers here. Thank you.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just report posts that you see that are inappropriate. I'll take care of it.

3. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Answer should be coming down soon.That was quick.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I went and read your post about the 20" wheels and what not... As stated in numerous places on the website and in the rules, this site focuses on traditional hot rods and customs.

It's not that we (or atleast I) think that other cars suck... It's just that our focus is on the traditional. If that's not your thing, I understand... There are plenty of other sites out there that do focus on the contemporary.

Sorry to disappoint.

5. There isn't another website that comes close to the HAMB,for info,event coverage,tech help,etc. But,you also have to understand,with over 100k members,you are bound to get some reponses you will NOT like. It happens to ALL of us. Stay here, and look passed the stuff that ruffles your feathers,haha!

6. fbama73

fbama73

Bad Bob has it right.

Sure, you'll see some responses to questions that will make you say "Wow, what a dickhead!" but almost always, in the same thread, you'll see several responses that deal with the question asked in a decent manner.

7. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

And just how do do you define traditional? I've been into cars since I was about thirteen, and I'm 63 now. I think I have a pretty good idea of tradition . The one thing that has been a constant over the years is change. Rods from the '40's are different from rods of the '50's, which are different from those of the '60's, etc. A lot of rods are amalgams of these "traditions" And some folks (Like me) build what they can afford to build, which just might not fit into your narrow view of what is "traditional". Going back to the big wheel issue...Lots of old "traditional" cars had tall wheels. As long as those wheels aren't wrapped in rubber-band tires, I don't see how that could be a problem.

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

One thing that makes this site so great is the relatively clear focus and efforts to keep it that way. As far as I know, there is no exact definition of what 'traditional' is, but I will suggest this; the cut off year for cars is '64. And by that, if you just understand that whatever people did to their cars up to '64 is basically traditional within that definition. As such, in a strict sense, putting a post '64 motor in your car violates that principle, but then again, putting a newer motor in a car to make it better does not in the basic spirit of hot rodding. But, it is generally better to stick to the literal interpretation of the meaning and hard '64 cut off, not any existential one. Like anything in life, there are exceptions. That's what keeps thing lively and interesting.

Anyway, that is what I think and I could easily be totally wrong. :)

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I think you nailed it.

10. There is also no rule that says people have to like this site either. If anyone doesn't like it, they can stay away and enjoy a stress free existence.

11. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

with the anonymity of the Internet a lot of people just get rude, when they dont have to look you in the eye when they are talkin shit.
    However, if you met any of the same guys, they probably are really cool in person.
    Dont let them get under your skin, read the good responses twice.
    have fun.
    BTW. I dont think the internet would be considered "Traditional".

12. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

So, you would accept a '63 1/2 Galaxy, but not a '65 Mustang?...A '63 Vette, but not a '67 Vette? That is arbitrary and stupid. Also, I believe the most honored tradition of hotrodding is to innovate, and use parts (old or new) in ways that haven't been seen before. It sounds like you would have us all building the same, tired (Oops, I mean traditional) stuff over and over again. OK, I've had my rant, and I'll shut up now. My main complaint was people who are snobbish and rude, and I have to be careful not to cross that line myself. I know, some folks probably think I already have.

13. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

If have to vent that should be done offline. Not every site is for everybody. Would you consider a 65 Mustang a tradition Rod or Kustom? There is more innovation on this board than you will find anywhere else in cyber land. Settle in and enjoy yourself for awhile.Read what you like and pass over what you don't. There's going to be assholes everywhere you go.

14. Galaxie, yes.
    Mustang, no.
    Vette, perhaps, depending upon style of build.

The 1964 date roughly corresponds to the start of the muscle car era, which doesn't fit the theme of this board. The HAMB is dedicated to the build styles of the early 1960's and before. If you were to time machine your car back to an arbitrary date in those eras, the car should not be out of place for the era. Yes, there are some items that are considered somewhat acceptable on certain cars due to convenience, usability, or reliability that are totally out of place (ie; BBCs, T5s, Turbo 350s, disc brakes), but those are typically uncommon. Something like modern aluminum wheels, however, are frowned upon because they wouldn't have been present in the pre-'64 era, even though 16"+ wheels were around back then.

The "innovate and use better parts" outlook is present on the HAMB, but those innovations and parts need to fit the time period. There are other places where fantastic performing parts, such as disc brakes, sticky tires, A/C, CD players, or what have you are accepted. Don't get your panties in a bunch if the HAMB isn't that place.

15. silent rick

silent rick

not to say many of us don't have interests outside the traditional side of hotrodding, we do. it's just that we want to stay true to the original focus and intent of the hamb. there are other sites better suited to the off topic stuff.
    don't try to change the hamb, either fit in or get out. i've reported many threads i believed were off topic. most get closed or deleted, some don't. it doesn't hurt my feelings when a moderator doesn't agree with me.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think that maybe you've found the wrong website for your interests... This doesn't mean I think you are "stupid," it just means we focus down pretty tight.

Good luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.