Register now to get rid of these ads!

roadster wreck on I-5 california

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheap-n-dirty, Apr 11, 2010.

1. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

On our way south on I-5 just north of the Derrick Rd. exit(mile post 319 we saw a yellow roadster being put on a roll back wrecker off the north bound side about 50ft. out to the side. it looked like it had rolled.
    does anyone have any more info on this?

2. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Sounds ominous , hope driver/passenger are OK

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, it was Dave Allen, (Boyce Asquith's) yellow hiboy,----Wind gust & into the chain link fence,----Multible injuries, but alive!

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well at least they are alive, hope the injuries are not too bad.
    Doc.

5. subdajj

subdajj

Glad they are alive. Hope the injuries are not bad and everybody recovers. Hope the car can be repaired

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad that everyone is alive.

Good time to go give a hug to your loved ones and tell them you love 'em.

Life is precious, and sometimes shorter than it should be.

7. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

WIND GUSTS ???????? W.T.F. :mad:

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

It happens when all that Hot Air comes down out of Canada ! :D:D:D

(Alright,.... I'm sorry,... But I just cant leave a good straight line alone)

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

My heart sank a little when the posting said it was Boyce Asquith's old deuce roadster. That was one of my favorite '32s. If you haven't seen it ...........your loss. One of those cars that could back up it's image. As I remember Boyce died (cancer I believe) not long after the car made it's big splash.:(

Frank

10. rustyhood

rustyhood

Glad no one died, wind can do some crazy things.

11. also glad no one is dead, weird stuff happens.

Here is what the car looked like in it's heyday

[​IMG]

12. brandon

brandon

x2..... favorite since i was in school...

13. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Glad everyone survived, hope no one was hurt to severely. Any roadster lost to a wreck sucks. I hope it's repairable It's a significant car.

14. Bummer! That wind can get pretty nasty on I-5 in several places. I know! Try it with a trailer.

Glag to hear they are OK.

15. Larry T

Larry T

Here's the info that's being posted on the "web".

"First, we were informed Saturday morning that Bob Cano, longtime L.A. Roadster, and then So-Cal. Roadster member, had succumbed to injuries on Friday incurred from an accident in his '32 hiboy....

Then late last evening, we were notified that Dave Allen, current keeper of the famed Boyce Asquith hiboy was returning home from Del Mar, having left on Saturday to avoid the possible rain scheduled; somewhere near Fresno, while running on I-5, a gust of wind hit him, forcing the right rear tire off of the pavement...in an attempt to correct, and still fighting the wind, the roadster slid sideways, ending in the roadster rolling, and flipping....

Dave is in the hospital, suffered extensive damage, reportedly a broken collarbone, shoulder, ribs, as well as leg and arm damage,, with the doctors recommending amputation of his arm, which Dave's wife insisted 'no way', repair as you can..."

Prayers for them, their families, and friends.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Glad theyre gonna be OK.
    Thats a tough one. I drive semi's and the wind through there can be a real lane changer.

17. Holy Crap man! God speed, I hope he makes out okay from this.

18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I hate to ask are both the above the same accident? My prayers are with everyone involved. I still can't believe a gust of wind caused this, is this another hazard of living in sunny CA.

19. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

NO......not the same wreck........

CB

20. 64sled

64sled

Hope they all get well soon, those winds on the 5 are no joke.

21. lowelife

lowelife

That sucks. Hope everyone is doing well.

22. abone1930

abone1930

Prayers go out for a speedy recovery.That was a nice roadster.

23. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

An update on Dave his wife e-mailed that he's really banged up they did surgery on his arm and he can move his fingers ,which is a good sign he is in a neck brace because of damage to the 5 and 6 vertebra they will see what the Doctors say today about fusion, Wife said he didn't want it if he has a choice, he'll be in the hospital at least a week unless they do his neck then it will be longer..................

24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

hope he recovers ok. makes you think about a roll bar in all roadsters.

25. Thoughts and prayers. Drive careful, guys. Holy smokes....

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Latest update on I-5 this AM--April 12-----5 more killed due to HIGH WINDS!

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well, actually the CHP says it was "rain-related", but it's still weather...Wind through that mountain pass up and over the Grapevine can get pretty hairy.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  28. From: SHERM PORTER <[email protected]>
    Subject: Bob Cano---Dave Allen

While this is news we never want to hear, the roadster community has been hit hard recently....

First, we were informed Saturday morning that Bob Cano, longtime L.A. Roadster, and then So-Cal. Roadster member, had succumbed to injuries on Friday incurred from an accident in his '32 hiboy....

Then late last evening, we were notified that Dave Allen, current keeper of the famed Boyce Asquith hiboy was returning home from Del Mar, having left on Saturday to avoid the possible rain scheduled; somewhere near Fresno, while running on I-5, a gust of wind hit him, forcing the right rear tire off of the pavement...in an attempt to correct, and still fighting the wind, the roadster slid sideways, ending in the roadster rolling, and flipping....

Dave is in the hospital in Fresno, suffered extensive damage, reportedly a broken collarbone, shoulder, ribs, as well as leg and arm damage,, with the doctors recommending amputation of his arm, which Dave's wife insisted 'no way', repair as you can...Linda, as well as Charlie Lambitecco (?) and several other good friends from Fresno are with him at the hospital....
    A sad day.....
    Sherm

29. mj40's

mj40's

It can happen any where. I have changed lanes from a side draft in Nevada. I had my coupe sideways with tent trailer going the other way twice. Only thing that saved me was full throttle and power. Hint; take the cruise control off in wind or rain. Dave, Prayers are with you and your family.

30. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Prayers goin out!
    I just drove through that area yesterday, and it was definately windy!!
    Saw several cars Rods goin northbound. Sad to hear there was an accident!!