Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Perfect Valentine's Day Gift?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Good try anyway, at least you will be able to make a few bucks off the breadbox on wheels.

3. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

My wife would have said the same thing. At least you tried. i had the same thing happen on my Lincoln when i first got it. I was coming off the freeway and sure enough no brakes. That was not fun. Luckily they kicked in about 20 feet from the light..

4. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I remember riding in one back in 56 or so. It was scary the way it leaned on turns, but it stuck pretty good once you rode thru it. I have always thought about what kind of rod it would make. Then I saw one with some huge slick type tires and cool rims and realized yes it wud be a real sleeper as long as the tires weren,t noticed.

5. If you ask my wife what was the most memorable Valentine's gift that she ever got, she'll tell you the story of the time that I came home from the hardware store a day or two before Valentine's Day and when she saw the bag she said "What's that?" and I said "Your Valentine's day present". She smiled and said "Well you can give it to me now, and you won't even have to wrap it!" I handed her the bag - - - that had 2 braided steel washing machine hoses and a can of black spray paint in it. To this day she doesn't remember any of the flowers or cards or candy or sexy underwear, but she still has those washing machine hoses! She thinks that it's funny, but my co-workers (especially the females) are mortified. She's a "car girl" and our relationship is strong enough that I don't have to buy her a ton of things for Valentine's day to make her think that I still love her. There are 364 other days that she knows that I love her.

6. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

It must have a Toyota brake system. :)

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

So in short, You bought yourself a baby nash for valentines day............sweet;)

8. DaveInc

DaveInc

"All the cool little cars that could be deemed too cute for a greasy guy: Porsche 356 Speedster, MGA, Triumph TR3 and the like."

What? Those are plenty greasy. Oh well, guess I better go paint my nails.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

smooth move... you may have fooled the wife, but you can't fool me. you wanted that little car for yourself from the get-go

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

I hope you two will be very happy together ! :D

11. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

The Metro is a cute little buggy but I could put seat belts, new brakes, power windows, and a/c and my wife would still not drive it. I ruined her for life by making her bring my old taildraggin 48 Chevy to a show, while I took the 57 Chevy pickup a nubmber of years ago. Her idea of an old car is her 06 HHR.

12. I've always liked them, but one has never come along at the right time. I do have an extensive collection of the Hot Wheels funny car version which will have to do.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Here's a pals Metro,.... Full tube chassis, body extended 18”, 6-71 blown 468 Big Block Chevy, Hughes 350 turbo, 1955 Chevy dragster rear axle that is about 32" drum to drum.

[​IMG]

14. Hey, if you do not like your wife...but want the relationship to go out on a good note....you could sell it someone else for valentines gift?

Two birds...one metro?

Just a thought! (It's a joke folks...)

15. Three years ago, I went the complete opposite direction in an automotive Valentine's day gift for the wife - a 1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham Salon four-door hardtop - the last of the truly HUGE Chryslers before the '79 "downsized" New Yorkers. It is a near-duplicate of the '78 her late Dad had, except this car has silver interior and her Dad's had light blue. Found it on that auction site in january '07. The price was in my range, and it looked great in the pics. I won the car, showed my wife the pics, and said "Happy Valentine's Day!". She loves the car. I'm doing a little bit of off-season maintenance on it, like replacing the water pump and clutch fan, fixing the radiator, and an overall tune. We're driving this beast to Bonneville this year in 440-powered, air-conditioned, luxurious comfort!:D

I've owned a pair of Mets; a '59 and a '58 parts car. Met ownership nearly requires the acquisition of a parts car, although nearly the entire car is available as parts from various sources around the US. The 1500cc engine is the same as what is in MGB and MGBGT, so they accept the asme mods with ease. I've seen a few Mets that have late-model Toyota 2oR and 22R engines and 5-speed trannys in them, as well as others. Mets are cool as hell, as there is a LOT you can do to make the car yours!

You decide you don't want the car anymore, PM me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  16. James66g

James66g

Hey man dont listen to these turkeys the Nash Metro is a nice ride for the miss Get the brakes updated and dialed in and you have yourself a winner. WHen I lived in frisco theer was a pale green Nash Metro with a super hot chick rollin it around she almost always had the top down with her hair all up in a scarf and big movie star glasses. Any way definitely a cool commuter! And if she hates it Ill give ya $801.00 for it! My chick would love it!

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Nothing shouts love like a metro.:D

18. brjnelson

brjnelson

Brakes are usually the first thing to go out on a Met, when ours went out my wife used my 31 Model A to stop her. Now I am expert on Met disk brake conversions and could hook you up with a MG Midget disk brake adaption kit.

The fuel pump will go next, then the generator, then turn signal switch, then the heater control resistor, Good Fun.
    [​IMG]

PM me for free advice.

19. ELD

ELD

I always liked Nash Met. I'm digging the Isetta next to it also, my first car was a 58' Isetta.

20. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Me too.

Attached Files:

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good on you for trying to make a unique gift for Valentines Day. I'd give it to her and explain that it will require some updating before she can drive it and maybe get her involved in the repairs.

Frank

22. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

I've always liked the Metro, and have admired this one for awhile....

Attached Files:

23. truckdude1

truckdude1

My wife wants a white '61 T-bird for V.D. Anyone have one lying around?

24. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

TR3's? I grew up around those "too cute" cars. My dear ol Dad must have restored around 30 of them when I was a kid. In fact the first car I drove was a TR3, and most likley sparked my interest in old cars!

25. billys54

billys54

It's the thought that counts

26. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

You are correct- Part of the story is that these are all very cool cars I want for myself but couldn't justify the extra vehicle! Nothing girly about em'!

27. rixrex

rixrex

I recently traded mine off for a 34 Pickup and a 29 A coupe..they are pretty neat, but know that if you are a big guy and you park the Met and reach over to your left and pull the Ebrake lever you can't get out!...

28. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Not as nice as a old car.

But my girl told me this morning that she wanted a oil change for her car as a Valentine present ,

I think that was pretty cool,

But I'll also get her a card or it will be my ass.

Are you going to keep the car or flip it ?

29. Neat little cars, I remember a guy in High School that drove one (actually I think it was his Dad's) that had a warmed over V-8 60 in it. Looked completely syock but really surprised some guys.

30. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Those cars are too cute for words........I'd never own one unless it went like stink, but we do have a 90 year old woman who drives her pink one to every show possible.........and she's had it since day one.

Personally, I think I'll get me a bunch of parts from Cali Poncho Resto. Much more up my alley then the bag of chocolate my seester gave me.