Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. BOHICA

BOHICA

Neat! Wonder where it ended up.

3. Black Widow brakes and wheels.......
    that'd be a good parts car

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ryan, didn't they have those events on TV? I think I remember seeing them on shows like ABC's Wide World of Sports. I wonder if there are any video archives on them. I also remember lots of custom fab'd, hot rodded early Ford "fire trucks" in the competition. Gary

5. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I remember watching that on Wide World of Sports also. The event I remember best was one where the truck would go from a standing start and haul ass for a short distance. Then, while the truck was still slowing down a team of guys would jump off the truck with a ladder, about 20 foot tall. They'd plant the ladder and while it was still swinging up, a guy would be climbing it. He'd get to the top and ring a bell to stop the clock. It was like gymnastics and rodeo meet the Keystone Kops.

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Prolly something like this...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

fixed it for ya Scotty, then you fix it yourself, now I look like a copy cat. lol

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Great minds, huh, DT?

9. Some cool machinery in this one. Front halves of Henry J, blown 40 PU, 33 Willys, 55 Chevy etc. I wish I could find the B&W 50's footage on youtube of the Model A roadster with the guys hanging off the back.

10. poorboy

poorboy

cool article and footage. i'm gonna show this to my firefighter buddy. he's a rookie but i admire his courage

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

holy hell... that's awesome.

Crazy bastards.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  12. RichG

RichG

13. classicfins

classicfins

14. silverdome

silverdome

I second that!

15. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I am pretty sure they still have them I used to make headers for Central Islips B rigg,
    and build the motors for Brentwoods, B riggs were full size trucks, c riggs were what ever you could dream up, light and really fast I have seen early corvettes elcamino's vegas converted to c riggs

16. rodknocker

rodknocker

This all started in Long Island when the local fire houses started busting balls about who's faster, getting to the fires, getting up the ladders, buckets, everything.It spread throughout NY, there are northern,western,LI, teams.Unfortunalty its starting to die out over here in the western parts due to insurance "issues".But if you ever want to see some hardcore racing wait until the "States" are held in Long Island, and make a day of it, its awsome.I used to be a nozzleman for the Motor/Pump compatition.I weighed 280lbs, would run up to the line and get down on my knees, then another 280lb guy would jump on the hose behind me followed by a 180lb guy behind him laying on the hose, and it was nothing for the pressure in the hose to blow you back about 4 feet while you're trying to hit the target.If you watch the last second of this team you'll see the guy getting thrown off the hose, but hey he did break the record. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSCwF3rcNs

here's a link to the NYS website for the classic stuff http://www.fdarchive.com/memories/index.htm

17. long island vic

long island vic

most former or now new yorkers have or are a member of a drill team......im a retired rinky dink NBFD chime in

18. My favorite fire truck ever!

[​IMG]

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Now that could make drag racing fun again. Imagine trying to hold on to the back of the John Force car at about 300mph?

20. rodknocker

rodknocker

a lot of the LI teams are running 8-900hp with usually around low 5's rearend gears.

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Notice on the backward vette the driver is wearing the only helmet in sight! Nice to see this is still going on, and as of yet the safety Police haven't ruined it. Pretty crazy group.

22. Parliament

Parliament

I raced with the Hempstead Flukes. F.D racing is still in full swing and more popular then ever with new teams being added yearly.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010