Register now to get rid of these ads!

camping at Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boy wonder, Dec 9, 2009.

1. boy wonder

boy wonder
    BANNED
    from ma

any one ever camp out at speed week, I here there's some rustic camping near bye ,

2. silent rick

silent rick

lots of people camp. learn to use the search function. it'll tell you everything you need to know. it's fuckin fantastic

3. squirrel

squirrel

search for "bend in the road"

4. silent rick

silent rick

and use the quotation marks

5. yep, everyone refers to it as the bend, its just off the side of road where its a few miles before the entrance to the salt. its about a mile north from the exit and the road has a bend in it hence (the bend) its a good time lots of hot rods , partying, and cool people. ill see if i got any pics from this last year.

6. boy wonder

boy wonder
    BANNED
    from ma

cool thanks ,,, so just pull in ,bring a sleeping bag and a six pack? is it a first come first serve, ?

7. squirrel

squirrel

plenty of room.

It's a circus

Attached Files:

8. Great place to camp!

Attached Files:

9. Southfork

Southfork

And be sure to bring some ear plugs and some mosquito spray and/or netting! It can get pretty noisy from folks going full-throttle in and around the bend in the middle of the night. And be prepared for the mosquitos or they'll get you bad. Camping at the bend is fine if you're in an air-conditioned motor home or trailer. Otherwise, it gets pretty old after a night or two. If you can put away a six-pack or two by yourself, you can probably forget about the noise and the mosquitos, however.

10. It's find a spot and lay in the dirt. You might want to bring a tent.

11. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

12. geage

geage

this is the bulls balls .Ill be there with bells on.

13. Camping at the bend in our tent trailer was our first introduction to fire ants or whatever those red biting ants were. Don't have them in Canada. Ended up at the KOA overflow. Pat.

14. Bonneville has great photo ops, but you would have to drive a few hundred miles to get Rustic.

15. ants and mosquito's sure suck but you have plenty of time to find the best defense for them if you start looking now!

16. Greezy

Greezy

The one thing I didnt like about camping at the bend was the bozos that thought it was cool to be racing and doing donuts in the middle of the campers. All that desert out there but I guess they needed an audience.

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Fire ant, mosquitos, bozos? I've camped at the Bend and never experienced anything but a good time, great people and terrific fireworks. I'll be there (God willin') for Speed Week next year and looking forward to it! If you want the full Bonneville montythe Bend is the place to stay.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We didn't have that problem during the middle of the week in 1998 when I camped there. Lots less people then too. I had a borrowed dome tent that a couple of other campers ended up chasing down and dragging back when the wind kicked up.

You can get a shower for a few bucks at the truck stop and they serve a pretty good breakfast too. You have to be quick in the morning though as they make the record backup runs real early and you need to be out on the salt if you want to see that.

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

dang, wish i were camping there. my two favorite things combined-camping/outdoors and cars. only thing left is beer, and that would naturally follow...

20. bring a tarp, there are scorpions on the ground, I've seen them.
    an air bed is always nice.

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

?????

i don't think a tarp will save you from these guys....

[​IMG]

22. Abe is correct. I found a few there myself..

OH wait wrong pic..they are like the things to the left..

No they are a few inches, but they will still mess with you.

Attached Files:

23. tarantulas to.
    and lions
    and tigers
    and wolfs
    and bears OH MY! :D
    But really, I saw one of those creepy crawlers.:eek:

24. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

KOA has great daily showers and a swimming pool.

25. Allan Songer

Allan Songer

And NINE BILLION flies. Give me the bend ANY time!

I have NEVER had a problem with mosquitos at the bend--you have to camp away from the ditch to avoid them, however . . . .

26. What is the date for Speedweek, 2010?

27. Aug 14-20. And yes there are scorpions, saw one under a gas can the last morning. We parked on the other side of the road from the main group. Never had a fly or mosquito problem. Fireworks were great. The Johnny Cash cover band was excellent and yeah, there were a few guys doing doughnuts but it wasn't obnoxiously bad. And you can't believe how cool the parade of cars is at 5 AM.

28. no bugs....was quiet actually....except for the cannon! :D

29. doctorZ

doctorZ

if you can't find beer to drink at the bend, you aren't looking very hard! it is a great place to camp. good impromptu fireworks shows at night, too!