Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carlo Mollino - Designer, Architect, Photographer, and Car Nut.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I am constantly amazed after all I read and research, that there is more hidden in full view. Thanks JB. Great stuff. Slim

3. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I love finding these bits too. Its been really fun and inspiring to research this stuff for the Jalopy Journal... As long as your digging it, I'll keep posting it!

4. Weasel

Weasel

Great piece of history. Looks kinda like a Class 1 cat offshore powerboat on wheels!

5. sololobo

sololobo

Wow!! Being a big fan of mid-century modern furniture, this is of special interest. I applaud the creative effort and am knocked out by the sleek race machine. Atta-Boy Carlo!! Thanx J.B. for the coolness!! ~Sololobo~

6. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Kind of reminscent of the Mickey Thompson Buick powered Indy car with the motor beside the driver.

7. Jive-Bomber Jay ... cool stuff! ... and thanks for the link to the designboom website.

Here's some more pics of the car (also posted in Ryan's "Double Bullet On Wheels" Blog/thread):

Bisiluro #61.jpg bisiluro on course.jpg

Bisiluro.jpg Bisiluro 1955 (3).jpg

Bisiluro 1955 (1).jpg Bisiluro 1955 (2).jpg

Bisiluro 1955 (4).jpg Bisiluro 1955 (5).jpg

8. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Yes, Carlo liked the ladies... and it's really evident if you do any research on him. This is a man who had fun with his career.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

My absolute favorite designer of all time and all round bachelor hero.
    When I saw his Arabesque table @ The Guggenheim years ago I thought I would faint, yeah, over a fucking table, that's how amazing his shit is to me.

I wanna be Carlo Mollino in my next life but I've been too big of an asshole to come back as anything other than an amoeba.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It really a beautiful form for sure. The scale is pretty cool too when you are looking at him in the drivers seat. It's really small!

I wonder when planning a car with a side mounted engine you consider your own weight and then try to choose an engine that closely compares to that. I'm sure throwing a HEMI in that thing would completely screw with the geometry of the car. Hence why he probably put a smaller power plant in this thing.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

His home Casa Mollino was like pool for ideas today in Architecture and Interior design. Way ahead of the game and doing it beautifully.

I guess he was supposed to do a line of 1100cc car for production but it never made it past a plan?? Anybody have pics of those?

12. I have 4 belly tanks that match now when does the official HAMB tanker project start ?

i just bought these 2 last week...

hopefully we can have a car or two like this thread has...:D

Attached Files:

• 65.jpg
      65.jpg
      File size:
      62.3 KB
      Views:
    • 65-1.jpg
      65-1.jpg
      File size:
      60.6 KB
      Views:
  13. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Saw that car in Turin when I was there a few years back... he's a hometown hero to my pals that live there. There are some awesome buildings that he designed there too.

I've got some pics of a prototype that was in the museum there too... amazing stuff from that guy. One of the early versions of the Bisullauro had a Crosley-based motor too...

14. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

All I can think is: I want to drive it. It must have some unusual, or stunning, handling characteristics.

15. hasty

hasty

Apparently the handling was a handful as the sensations of left and right hand turns were completely different, due to the driving position being so close to the outside.

Nice thread, but now I will have to change my avatar.

16. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Beautiful car....thanks for posting. Great read