Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Merc Build - Any Ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuilderRhys, Nov 14, 2009.

1. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Hello All,
    I am just beginning a long awaited 1949 Merc project. I always like to do full blown fabrication on my cars and this one will be no different. I have recently retired my 94 Mark VIII, which I drove on a daily bassis for ten years. Just wondering if any one has done the same, grafted a Mark VIII to an old Merc. Thanks, Rhys. IMGP3338.jpg

IMGP3355.jpg

2. twochops

twochops

Dick Dean did a 51 Merc on a Mark ,not sure of the year.

Attached Files:

3. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Looks like he dropped the Merc body on the Mark VIII Unibody. I was going to graft in the Merc frame, weld in the IFS and IRS. I was wondering about the dash dimensions on my build as the Mark VIII is about 3" wider and it does look like the posts on this car are too narrow to clear. This info is great, I really appreciate it. Thanks, Rhys.

4. Swaps like this are a HUGE undertaking. Is the frame on the Merc bad? If you are set on updating the suspension, a Mustang II front suspension or Nova front clip would be waaaaaaaaay easier and probably a cleaner install, still allowing all the creature comforts if that is what you are after. My 51 has the Nova clip with power steering, disc brakes, small block and 700R4 that gets 22 mpg. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference with a full swap over onto that Lincoln with a ton less work.

Also, for the love of all things good, please do not put the late model dash in the Merc....the original Merc dash just looks soooo nice and a modern dash just doesn't have the right look in there.....my two cents...

5. Someone needs to post up a link to the guy in Detroit who has been swapping a Merc onto a 88-ish Lincoln town car frame/pans, lots of pics on that guy's site.

My '51 rolls supposedly on a late 70's Pontiac frame and runs that Poncho's floorpans. From an originality standpoint it's a minus, but my car drives like a 80's/90's Caprice and I kinda like that.

6. Ask and you shall receive. :) http://landyachts.homestead.com/index.html

That belongs to MercMan51 here on the HAMB. I'd bet he'd be the first to tell you don't do a full frame swap unless you just have to. Straykatcustoms Merc has a full frame swap, too, and he has had to deal with a few things along the way that have made things a bit difficult.

7. twochops

twochops

Here's another of Dean's swaps

Attached Files:

8. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

I agree this is going to be a huge undertaking but it must be done!!!!!!!!! As I move along with this I am sure I will change direction, for example the Mark VIII dash, I'm sure it will not look right in the Merc. I found these shots of a 41 Merc with a similar conversion http://rides.webshots.com/album/547029482iqxnOd?start=0 I do have a perfect untouched frame along with the "clippep" frame that the Merc is now sitting on, an F body front clip and ten bolt rear (any body need it?). The reason for melding the two frames is to stretch the 113" Lincoln wheelbase to the 118" Merc wheelbase. I just brought the Mark VIII back on air to ride height, measured and centred her to the Blackhawk and locked the IFS and IRS to the frame machine, no turning back now. Thanks, Rhys.

9. I think it's a cool idea if you can pull it off. Nothing like that DOHC motor. Do it and keep the project posted on here . Would be an interesting build for sure. I love those motors, especially the 5.4 version.

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Measure the width of the front and rear, wheel mounting surfaces. Or, even for a rough estimate the outside of tire from side to side. These later cars while smaller seem to have wider track widths, and thus as nice as the Merc ends up, it looks like a 4x4 with the Hot Wheels stance, wheels sticking out of the wheelwells.

There are much easier ways to make the car modern and not look foolish. For the subframe route Ive only seen one type that looked stock wheel-offset wise and that was an 80s Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/Cutlass. G body. Sometimes using what you have to save money costs you 5x in the long run. Personally Id clean that Lincoln up nicely, sell it, and put that money into a $500 G body, most likely with a motor and trans, and use the whole getup.

11. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Your right, track width is different from the Lincoln to the Merc. The Lincoln front is actually much wider than the rear. It is approximately 2.5" wider than the Merc at the front. I was assuming I would just run a bigger offset on my final wheel set up. I will put some more thought into that. Thanks for the advice, again all comments are much appreciated. Thanks, Rhys.

12. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I am currently doing that exact swap you will have to extend the wheel base by 5 inches i used 2x4x3/16 rectangular tubing and built a perimeter frame where the Mark 8 rockers were and across to the front rails and forward mounted the front suspension cross member 5 inches forward of the stock lincoln position and moved the motormounts back 5 inches so the engine is in position at the firewall .If you do this , you will actually converting the car to a unibody and you need to att a lot more internal bracing to cut down on body flex . i have a bunch of pictures and in progress shots . when you dump the air the car will sit on the floor the dash is the hardest part you will have to narrow it . i cut it on the ends and built caps out of aluminum sheet and they will be upholstered . i used the lincoln package tray and trunk hinges too . gonna call mine the Merc 8

13. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

as far as the width of track my tires and wheels are well within the fenders and there isn't any rub . I am going to use the stock Lincoln wheels . I bought a set of chrome bullets that go over the lincoln emblems and they look good .

14. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

this is the one that got me thinking about it
    http://www.timemachinesinc.com/pastcustoms/49merc/

they used a Mercury frame and fabricated a front and rear clip for the lincoln suspension . i went with the lincoln frame because it has a drop down floor and gives you more head room with a chopped top .
    when you start measuring you will find the distance from the center of the rear wheels to b pillar is the same as is the distance from the rear axle centerline to the firewall . i was even able to use the lincoln trunk hinges mounted in the stock location , the mercury ones were siezed with rust

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  15. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Ideas on a '49 Merc build? Nope, never seen that car done.

Ideas are EVERYWHERE man! C'mon...

16. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

C'mon nailheadroadster, "ideas are everywhere", that coming from a blader, you guys use profile gauges for everything, a unique idea would be the futhest thing from your mind, regards, Rhys.

17. WHY? Not interseted in another NON-traditional build. Have fun re-inventing the wheel...LOL!!!!

18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That 2.5 inches will be a HUGE obsticle. It doesn't sound like much, but when you lower a Merc, or any other car, the track needs to come in a bit to be able to steer.

My buddy Blakmerk did the Dick Dean Olds swap and the Olds is 2 inches wider then the Merc. It has been a giant pain in the ass. Back spaced wheels, opened up wheel wells, and it still takes a big parkinglot to make a U turn.

Honestly, there are better donors, but if you really have your heart set on the Lincoln give it a shot. Make sure and post lots of pics.

Good luck, -Abone.

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is mine with 7.10 15 Firestones. These tires are huge, but they still go lock to lock without rubbing.

[​IMG]

Good luck, -Abone.

20. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

That's what I'm talking about. I was going to go with a gloss black when the time comes. love this car. Thanks, Rhys.

21. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Managed to lock the IFS and IRS to the frame machine (lots of time spent measuring, leveling, getting centred, and rechecking) . Now the fun begins:cool:

22. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

And that right there is the G body subframe. I would have NO clue that wasn't a stock front end, fits like a glove.

The downside is some of those little G body's are kinda cool, I actually picked one up for my Merc, but I guess when I moved south my mullet grew out and since its a Monte Carlo SS I actually fixed a few things on it, got a B&M shifter in and fixed the exhaust (new Walkers) and I don't have the heart to cut it up. So, Im going to paint it after I finish this current Merc I'm building, and find ANOTHER G body to cut up. Haha. The shit I get involved with sometimes...seriously...

Either way good luck with the project and post up pics.

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Make sure the wheels don't stick out too far as that will ruin "the look."

24. Hey been there done that. Not to hamb friendly but well worth your effort if you want your merc to drive real nice. I am a big fan on keeping the stock merc frame so i graph the mark VIII front and rear suspension to the stock merc frame. You will need to make very special offset front wheels and i would also recomend you customize your front fender opening by adding the flare to the outside for a little extra tire clearnce.

Attached Files:

25. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

flamedabone,that merc is awesome,really nice.Anymore pics of that?

26. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Awesome fabrication!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have any pictures of completed cars. I think I've seen your work, Extreme Customs by Erickson is that right. Thanks, Rhys.

27. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Yeah I wouldn't do one again...I did what I did for various reasons that at the time made sense, but had I knew then, what I know now... :rolleyes:

Do I regret doing it? Nope, It will be the way I want it some day. You just end up making more work for yourself is all.

I started working on it over 10 years ago.

28. Really like this Merc.....very sleek, and clean!

29. Hey Rhys, Sorry have no pics of a finished mercs avail right now. Did almost finish a 50 merc about 4 years ago with this style of suspension. I did drive it a little and the car drove amazingly well. It went to Europe unfinished in primer and a unfinished interior. We do have 2 mercs in the shop right now with the mark VIII suspension convershion. A radical custom 51 coupe for a customer and a 50 merc woody for myself. Here are some more pic's

www.ericksonskustoms.com

Attached Files:

30. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

That is sweet seeing the four cammer "fitted " in the engine bay. I don't understand why this is not HAMB friendly. Take what you have and produce something that demands respect when it hits the pavement. Thats the tradition, no boundaries, no looking back, fabricate till you drop. Regards, Rhys.