Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a 38 and is it worth anything??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mazdaslam, Oct 21, 2009.

1. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Came accross this car a while ago and was told that it was a 39 Ford.I finally was able to get a close look at it today and obviously it is not a 39.Im pretty sure that its a 38. What do you guys think its worth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yep it's a 38... I just googled it!

3. Jim Sibley can bring it back, but it is way over the capabilities of anyone but a craftsman. Now does it have some good parts, hmmm...... ?

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it's a '38... and it's worth $500.

5. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Yeah looks like a 38 or a 39 standard and since its a cabriolet or convertible its probably worth somethin if you could find the right person

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'll give ya 10 bucks for the steering wheel laying there.

It's pretty far gone, but it all depends on how bad someone wants one. Surely there's something you could salvage out of it though

7. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

If it was me I'd offer a little bit over scrap price.

8. get it quick...converts are hard to find in any condition...

9. flatford39

flatford39

Might be a 39 standard but I think it is probably a 38 deluxe roadster. The banjo wheel will get you a hundred dollars easy. The rest of it is a shame.

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Holy shit I need that grill center bar bad! I'm serious, if you can get it pm me thanks Mike

Edit yep 38 deluxe rear fenders are 38 only

11. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

that's one of those that in it's day was a keeper, not sure you want to tackle that one unless you have unbelievable skills....It is pretty far gone! To me it's not worth the cost of the trailer to bring her home....just my opinion! :(

12. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

the front and rear suspension and axle would prob bring some money and the wide 5s

13. It's a pre-war Ford drop top. It's definately worth something but it would probably be easier to buy a decent builder coupe body and cannibalize the 2 cars into one rather than buy a million dollars worth of patch panels trying to fix that one.

14. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

It looks like a coupe cut into a convert to me. That is one rusty puppy I'd pass on it. N.N.

15. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

16. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

No, its always been a convertible.

17. DrJ

DrJ

Easy- 38 had mechanical brakes and '39 had hydraulic. I think I see a brake rod off the brake pedal and I don't see a Master cylinder, if so, mechanical brakes, if so, '38.

I think it'll rub out... :cool:

18. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Our fearless leader Ryan wants to build a westerguard style 38 convert....

It's still got the convert/woodie only dash too. That's worth a few bucks. I bet you could easily get $500 worth the parts out of it. Or, as was suggested, it would make a great convert parts donor for a solid coupe!

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It's a '38 Deluxe convertible. There were no standard convertibles in '38, '39, or '40, only Deluxe.

It's worth saving.

20. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

If you're going to restore it, I'd sure pass BUT if you wanna rod it there's been alot worse brought back to a decent driver. See what they want for it and if it works for you buy it. That would make a great project over time as long as you have the skills or friends that do to help out. Where the hell has that been hiding? I drove truck through the area 3 times a week and was always looking down roads, fields and through the trees. Wish I'd seen it

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd still say $500 or less... That way you can still get your money outta it if you change your mind... but yeah, damn it's ruff.

22. '38 dash & rear fenders.

Take everything & go find a good coupe to build it.

JH

23. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

Where the hell has this been stored in a lake? Damn shame, I say $50. and part it out. What a rusted POS. Find a coupe with a smashed roof and section in the convert parts.

My 2 cents.

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

25. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

No,this is what happens when you store your old car outside for 40 years.

26. nutajunka

nutajunka

Reminds me when I was akid, there was a perfect 55 chevy 2 door way down in the woods with a perfect body, minus front clip and seats, and I mean perfect! Anyway I figured it must have been stolen and stripped of the frame and such, so when I turned 16 I went to go look and see if it was still there, and it was, but destroyed by kids who must have found it. Made me sick.

27. Go for it...they're not making them anymore. Not for the faint of heart but definitely can be saved. I worked on a '38 deluxe coupe last winter for a friend and I was amazed at how much sheet metal was available - rockers, floors, quarters, rear pan, cowl bottom, etc.

Charlie

28. vert1940

vert1940

crap...that looks like the last 40 merc convert i had..AFTER i took the paint off,thats all that was left.i have seen your work on the floors of your other car,it may take some time and determination,but you could do it.

29. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

30. chopo

chopo

real convert cowl, steering wheel, wide fives, trunk lid?, 3/4 of the rear sheet metal, front fender mid to uppers, grillle pieces, frame, axles..... that cowl and frame are a grear start for a woodie project. sawzall???..... anyway theres alot of useable stuff on there.