Register now to get rid of these ads!

#! Chevy 3 Window Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32cruisin, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Hello, I've been lurking around here for awhile, posted a few times and responded a few times and thought it wass time to introduce my Chevy build.I am a hobbiest so speed of build is slow but I am having a blast.This web site is real informative to say the least and I have learned alot just by searching around and reading about other peoples projects. I had quite a few pics on my computor and when it crashed , I lost them all so the pics here are a little into the project. To date I have put all new patch panels on except for the door bottoms, step boxed the chassis, installed the suicide front, mounted engine and tranny, installed the rear 4 link and rearend and have a structure built to put the floor on.. All the wood is gone forever. I have channeled the body 5.5 " and right now the plan is to chop the top 4". The floor is going in on wed. night and then I will put the seat in to see if I can chop the 4" like planned. Maybe I can't go 4" and have to go less , we will see.I am 5'-7" tall so I think I will fit. Once the floor is in and the chop is done then the rest of the car will get the steel tubing for support. I am thinking of leaving the top open and have a snap cover, or something like that, that I can put on if I get caught in the rain. What do you all think about that idea. The engine is a 327 andtranny is a 4 speed saginaw. Rear end is wide 9". This car was my Christmas present to my self and sat idle in my garage untill spring.I got started on it around first of May and it has been a blast. My wife doesn't really share the same enthusiasm yet but the closer it becomes to a car she will.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      381.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      491.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      342.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      391.3 KB
      Views:
  2. mink

mink
    from CT

Neato more pics!!!!

3. thads31

thads31

Very nice. I like to see more old Chevy's on here. Mine was forever ridded of the wood also. You've made good progress if you just started this spring. Keep posting pics.

4. More pics.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      495.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      384.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      431.7 KB
      Views:

5. more pics.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      407 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      391.3 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      444.5 KB
      Views:
  6. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man I have a 33 3 window i my shop thats crying get started just waiting for it to cool off some but I may have to turn the fan on now and get busy thanks for the kick start!! boy that car is cool!!

7. These are about all my picks so far.

Attached Files:

• 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      316.7 KB
      Views:
    • 051.jpg
      051.jpg
      File size:
      395.8 KB
      Views:
  8. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Chevy chevy chevy chevy I forgot mine has no wood putting tubing in it now .

9. Hello, Yea the wood deal sucks. In one of my pics you can see my 32 Chevy and I did the same thing to that. No more wood. I said I would never do it again so here I am doing it again. Oh well, the coupe is smaller than the sedan so should be easier right? Later

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      463.4 KB
      Views:
  10. chubbie

chubbie

looks like a lot of fun...you can work on one and drive one!!!

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Thanks for posting the pictures. ''love them chivvys...........

12. Ghost28

Ghost28

Just like you I built a 32 chevy coupe first. And also replaced all the wood with steel, and swore to never do it again. But I think it gets in your blood and after a brief rest the challenge starts calling again. Nah never mind. I think there just cheaper to buy than there counter parts, and I like working with steel. Yeah that's it. Any way your build is looking good in such a short time. I've been on my 28 since last august. WHEW ...John

Attached Files:

13. Looking good. It seems more Chevys are being resurected every day...

14. Thanks for the great pics, and the teaser shots of the coach in the background.;) The Chevies are certainly coming out of the wood work lately.

15. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Got pics of how you did the A and B pillars where the wood was.

Nice build by the way.

16. I like it! I would say cut the roof up and do a snap top they look good man. Good luck with the build! You girl will like it when it is completed trust me.

17. DMFB

DMFB

Say the word Terry, I can bring a couple more fans over! haha I wanna see that beast on the road!!!

18. Thanks for all the positive feedback on my coupe project guys. I am really stoked about this project. I will post pics as I get them. Thanks again.

19. hvychvy

hvychvy

Cool,lookin great,keep us posted.

20. chubbie

chubbie

:confused:32, are you still work'n on the coupe??

21. 343w

343w

"Build it and they will come". My ex-wife wasn"t crazy about hot rods either, although when it was finished she was the first one to load-up for the Rod Runs! Hey, if she's still not into it, bring a buddy along on the Runs........see ya.

22. can ya get a few pics of them both together for a fellow 32 lover

23. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

lookin good its always good to see the older chevys being built. good luck and keep us updated

24. chubbie

chubbie

any update pictures???

25. papastoyss

papastoyss

I built a 32 chevy 2dr sedan about 20 yrs ago. It was my first completed rod & I had to have a 4" chop. I'm 6' 2" & had to put the seat flat on the floor in order to be able to see out the w/shield. You might be ok if you're shorter. On another note, if you do chop 4" ,I would only chop the back glass 2" , it's pretty short already & 4" out will make it hard to see out of.

26. Hello, Back to work on the coupe. I tryed go get my head straight on the chop. I channelled the car 5.5" and decided on a 3"chop. I don't have all the nice tools so , as you can see, I improvise.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      305.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      318.1 KB
      Views:
  27. As you can see, My methods are primative but I get the job done. Tomorrow I will tackle the rear window and finish the A pillars. What do you think? Another thing I decided to do was move the frontend back under the chassis. The longer I looked at the suicide front the more I didn't like it. If anyone out there has a used A front crossmember , I could use one. Later

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      329.4 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      384.1 KB
      Views:
  28. I did also get my floor put in. I don't have a pic of that but this is a pic of the structure under the floor. Alot of my budies say it is overkill but I fly my own way and I like overkill. As you can see, I used a channell over the chassis and tubed between them. The reason I did this is with a 5.5' channell and a 3' chop, I need all the headroom I can get. I am 5'-8" tall so it is all good so far. I havn't got my tranny cover built yet but as soon as I get a shifter and install it , it will be installed. I am having a blast building this thing. Later, Dennis

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      342.9 KB
      Views:
  29. That chop looks good and I think moving the axle is the way to go. This is shaping up nicely.

30. chubbie

chubbie