Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn find Henry J!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big A, Jul 29, 2009.

1. It's no hot rod (yet), but my father just bought a '53 Henry J Corsair one owner car that's been in storage since 1962. The lady he bought it from looked in the glove compartment for the title and found the receipt from the hotel where she spent her honeymoon in 1956!

The car is also chock-full-o-stuff. Boxes of parts for this car and others, lots of '51 Pontiac stuff from the looks of it, some aftermarket mirrors and spotlights and even a few fishing lures. A good score from what we can tell, I'm looking forward to rummaging through the boxes.

Can anyone point me towards more Henry J information? I don't know much about them, other than hanging out with Stewed at the HAMB Drags a few years ago.

Not sure what the plans are yet. My father is more of a restorer than a rodder so he might head in that direction. He was a rodder in the '50s though... I'm hoping to sway him back to the dark side :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Very cool. I hope to see more pics soon.

3. moses

moses

sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!jeffrey

4. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Thats an awesome find. Bit of a time capsule.

5. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Always loved those Henry J's

6. Just do a "Henry J or Alstate " search hear or the internet and you'll find plently. Also check out "gasser madness. com.

7. Homemade44

Homemade44

8. Cool find, almost in my back yard no less! Even the matched set of plates is worth money.

9. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

Nice find, safely tucked away just waiting for someone to breath life into it, hope you enjoy what ever he decides together.
    I miss spending time with my Father.
    Mark

10. retromotors

retromotors

Checkin' out all the leather belts in the trunk and thinkin' about those famous "Dad" threats:

"Dammit .... don't make me stop this car!"

"Dammit .... don't make me take this belt off!"

Musta been some unruly younguns in that tribe, Dad was so pissed he had a whole collection in the trunk he forgot to put back on!:D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  11. Holy sweet Sock! I've had a hardon for a J for many many years... see if you Big P would be interested in a trade for a chopped shoebox and some nanna puddng!

It can't be restored, make him molest it! Nailhead with a hilborn pops into my head!

12. henryj429

henryj429

Man, I would have killed for a nice J like that a few years back!

Whatever you do with it, it must have gobs of horsepower! Drop me a line if you need some tips on how to put a nice chop on that sucker!

13. drag it across the border for the Niagara gasser reunion at Lancaster this weekend, great find

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't a gasser. You mean they came stock? As drivers? Gary

16. lorodz

lorodz

cool find ..i love em as gasser's

17. Thanks for the info so far guys. It's funny, I'm not sure I've ever seen one in stock form either.

Jeff, you happen to know where I can find a nailhead with a Hilborn? :D

18. belair

belair

WOW-I thought they all came with 394 Olds engines.

19. spununit

spununit

20. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

very cool, Restore it!!!

21. scotts52

scotts52

I could go for those 51 Pontiac tailights in the trunk there if ya don't already have a home for them! PM me if interested in selling.

22. I think I remember my dad saying something about being able to order them from a Sears catalog...any truth to that? Awesome find by the way!!

23. bobscogin

bobscogin

Yep, sold by Sears under the Allstate label.

Bob

24. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

25. Yep, the Allstate was available through Sears as far as I know. I'm sure someone else here could add more detail.

Once I sort through the extra parts some stuff will probably end up in the classifieds.

26. madjack

madjack

Welcome to the "J" club. I have four of the little bastards... all '51s
    No they didn't come with 394 Olds motors, but a 500 'Cad will fit with a really big pry bar

27. Are there any sources for sheet metal, or any other parts for that matter? I'm guessing not, but I'll ask dumb questions anyway.

28. skoh73

skoh73

Very cool find! I love stories like this.

A couple of weeks ago I was at my Grandpa's house in the backyard, haven't been back there in years, and I spied some Ford blue sticking out from behind a board-on-board fence next to a house across the street. Wary of an assful of rocksalt from a 12 gauge, I brought my lovely girlfriend and my dog up the dirt drive with me. A very nice Henry J-no gasser- and two others that appeared to be in pretty nice shape. I think I'm gonna go back there in the next coupe of weeks and see if the owner wants to make room in the yard.

I don't know a hell of a lot about Henry J's- how hard are they to come by in decent shape?

29. Big Tony

Big Tony

WOW..what a find...either way this is gonna be a good project...congrats