Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Crewl World - More than racing at El Mirage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gaters, May 18, 2009.

1. Gaters

Gaters

I had never been to out to El Mirage to witness the races myself. These past few years working on my roadster, which you guys may know from my previous posts is steeped in El Mirage history from the 40's. I had planned to attend the May 16-17 races this year to get the full experience and see what my 4-banger roadster did for fun those many years ago. Little did I know until a week or so before the event, my plans would blossom into one of the best and most memorable moments I could have ever imagined. So, let me set this up.

Like a lot of you I was and am enamored with the story and the beautiful roadster Billy Crewl (HELLMUT) is building in honor of Jack Calori. I met Billy through the HAMB some months back and we've kept in contact for various events. Billy called me a weeks or so ago and asked me to bring my roadster out to El Mirage. I told him it wasn't running right and I was having troubles getting the motor dialed in. He said, "Bring it out anyway, there will be plenty of guys to help if you need it". There was a lot to do in a short time but I agreed.

You see, this weekend at El Mirage was to be the pinnacle of Billy's roadster build with Jack at his side. As many of you know, Jack suddenly and unfortunately took ill and passed a few months back, leaving a giant hole in this occasion. But it did not dampen Billy's spirits to honor his good friend and mentor on Saturday. Billy's idea of having his 12C Jack Calori roadster and my 660B Ray Pyle roadster sharing the same patch of dirt at El Mirage 60 years later was an opportunity that couldn't be missed. So I didn't!

I did not know Billy had planned to meet up with Jack's daughter, Janice, on Saturday May 16 there at the lakes. She and her husband drove down some 5 hours from San Jose that morning to see the roadster in person for the first time and be a part of his special day. She knew this would have been a special day for her father too, so she filled a commitment that she knew her father would have honored and enjoyed had he'd lived.

A few days had passed since Billy asked and I agreed to bring the roadster out. Now I had to find a trailer, who was going to help, etc. Ugh! I get this hair brained idea that I'm going to ask my Dad to make the trek out to El Mirage. He hasn't been feeling too well lately and is basically house ridden because he's nearly lost his sight. I thought "screw it" I'm gonna get him outta the house and driving the roadster like I'd planned. I am going to use this opportunity to meet my goal and that was to get him behind the driver's seat. I asked him if he wanted to go and he agreed...cool! Now, I need help with my dad too. So two days before, I ask my brother to tag along. Now it's all coming together.

We headed out on Saturday to meet up with Billy. Here are pictures that peak into the past but this time, it was our time.

I'd like to thank Billy for a day I will never forget, nor will my dad or brother. I'd also like to thank Crazydaddyo, who took the time to take a few of my phone calls to help me out. The whole Monthly Banger thread crew for chipping in with helpful tips too.

A lot of good friends made this day possible and with out them, I wouldn't have been able to do this.

John Dickerson - Automobile restorer who did a ton of work and let me work in his shop so I could learn more about my roadster.

Bill Robinson - He redid the motor. He went way beyond what I thought he would have to do. But he knew what I wanted to do and made it all right. You want a nice flatty rebuilt, go to Bill.

Bill Huff - He rebuilt the 97s and gave me a crap load of advice along the way.

Jack Underwood & the Jack's Garage Crew - Jack gave both Billy and I a ton more information on our roadsters because of the collection of SCTA material he has. Jack knows everybody and everybody knows Jack. He helped out with a with contacts and information on how to stuff. If you're out in California, make time to visit Jack. He's and his Jack's Garage pit crew are a national treasure for early hottrodding.

Gaters -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

NOTHING beats that!! congratulations to you and Bill

Zach

3. Gaters

Gaters

MG_1200.jpg[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gaters

Gaters

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for the insight into your journey to El Mo.

glad you and your family enjoyed the time there, and some great pictures there.

Viva the dirt :D

6. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Great story, looks like your Dad had a great time too.

7. excellent story man , and looks like a great time had by all..

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Very cool! I love the photo sequence of them coming across the salt.

9. Awesome story! Thanks for posting the pics.

10. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

11. rick finch

rick finch

Hot rodding at it's best!

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Rad cars...

13. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Great story, cool cars!

14. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

that right there is what this is all about. That's some freakin rad shots...

15. Killer pix & rides !!

Rat

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

altogether too cool. thanks for the pics.

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Congrats to you for making a day happen with your Dad that you will never forget.....yes the cars are cool but the memory of that day will be far cooler........

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, good photos and it's hard to tell who was having the most fun out there.
    Some good looking cars too that look perfect together.

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Very nice writeup, great pics! Thanks for sharing your adventure.
    Pretty damn cool cars in those shots!

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Everythings been said. Good times remembered forever! Cool cars and good times, thankyou for the pics!! :D

21. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

22. Great story and pics, glad to see the old man get his day! I wished i could have made it out there.

23. Killer

Killer

good stuff!

Billy... I know I told ya this Saturday... but I'm gonna say it again, the roadster turned out bitchin!!!

24. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

Fabulous story. That'll be an experience you'll never forget.

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Great pics and on going story, thanks for sharing it with us.

The pics of you guys and your cars at El Mirage are as good as gold for future historical research. If there is one thing I've learned from fellow historians it is that you can't take too many pics at a show/meet/race/run/etc. Someday, someone is going to be looking for the story of that person or that car. Thanks for keeping the stories alive!

And like said before, having your Dad and your brother there was RAD!

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  26. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Damn! Those are some real nice pictures!Thanks.

Nick.

27. Unbelievable, looks like you all had an amazing time. Weren't you worried about the dust getting into the engines as I noticed the lack of air filters

28. Really enjoyed the story and the pics - thanks!
    Tony

29. Gaters

Gaters

Only Jack Calori's daughter would get away with this! AND LOOK Billy helped!
    [​IMG].

30. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

I really look like a fat ass riding shotgun next to Billy in those photos... LOL

Billy did Jack and his whole family proud with that clone of the roadster. That thing turned out killer!