Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration NOT a Beauty Contest: Pretty Faces, part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Apr 18, 2009.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

EDIT #2, quoting from Part 1: "This isn't a contest, it's more like a conversation. I've been thinking about the cars I've seen in my life that have great faces -- grilles and headlights and stuff. I've gathered pictures of a bunch of faces that I think were outstanding designs in their era. I'm not soliciting comments on my choices, but if you'd like to add your own favorites, feel free. Stock or custom is fine."

Now, this bunch (part 2) includes the late prewar and early postwar stuff; what some people call fat fenders. I chose a custom and a foreign model in this group, and I can hear you whining already that I didn't show a '36 Ford or a LaSalle. I've identified these makes, because some of them are less well-known than T's and A's and stuff.

1936 Studebaker Dictator
    [​IMG]

1940 Mercury
    [​IMG]

1940 Mercury with Packard grille
    [​IMG]

Lancia Astura (I know, '38 Ford Standards are kinda similar, but this is better)
    [​IMG]

If you enjoy this, I've already chosen some '50s and '60s stuff.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. alsancle

alsancle

I vote for the 36 Stude. I've also thought the late 30s Lasalle front end was very cool.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker

I always liked the Terra Planes

4. I agree with the first picture, the 1940 Mercury has got to be one of the most elegant looking frontends ever made. I could never understand why someone would put a different front on a 40 Merc.

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I agree with you completely, but I also think the coupe with the Packard grille is a knockout!

6. LabRat

LabRat

Strange .... It looks like a bulldog with a fat lip to me ....:rolleyes:

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Okeh, um,

'37 Studebakers
    '37 & '38 Hudsons & Terribleplanes
    '39 Grahams, TheSharknosed ones
    '36-'48 Figoni built Delage & Delahaye & Talbots,too, all that weird frog crap!

And yeah, a '49 DeSoto, jus' for the grille!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

8. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

It looks sad, like it just ran over a puppy. :eek:

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

The 40 merc with or without the packard grill is beautiful,I love the 36 ford as well,but for me the 49-50 shoebox grill is a classic that has great lines just the right amount of chrome and doesnt make your car look like some weird fish or bulldog.haha.But in all seriousness the shoebox grill is a great looking grill that to me rarely should be modified...50fraud your comments on this.Remember what social group you belong to....haha

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Hombres Ruin, Pimpin Paint, and Lifestylez: take a look at the Part 3 thread for '50s cars.

11. These are all great design directions - along with the Lancia, the Alfa wasn't bad either. Keep the pictures comming.

12. Well, Studebakers are my favorite, but that pic of the Lancia! WOW! I just googled Lancia and it seems any from 1934 to 1939 would qualify ad gorgeous. I bet i could piss off a lot of upper-crust collectors by customizing say a 1939 Pinniferina Lancia convertible or chop a coupe, put a flattie in it or maybe a quad four with carbs and a six speed behind it. They would pop their champagne corks!

13. philo426

philo426

That Lincoln looks a litttle like the car that collided with James Dean's "Little Bastard" Porsche spider and killed him as he and his mechanic were on their way to a race.

14. And the 1937 Studebaker Dictator is the best!

Attached Files:

15. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Right around 1936 IMO was the pinicale of auto styling. Ford, Chevy, Studie, whatever.
    Here's a Dodge P-cup and a Graham that are just sweet. And a Delage(I think), could be a Lancia, from that era that just makes me cream.

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul and I think the same is true with cars and their headlights; the most prominant and expressive feature of the face. This was the period just before headlights became incorporated into the body and I guess they were getting special attention from designers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Jack, your 3rd picture is the Dubonnet Xenia Aero Coupe. It's a one-off with a Saoutchik body on a '38 Hispano-Suiza chassis. Wild looking car!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  17. Here's a few of my favorites...
    [​IMG]

Boyd's "Whathehay"...
    [​IMG]

'41 Ford Custom...
    [​IMG]

There's nothing like the front view of a nice Hotrod!!!!
    [​IMG]

18. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Thanks for the straight dope 50!
    I remember a wine commercial from decades ago for Dubonnet Red and Dubonnet Blanc :eek:. Maybe commission coach built for the wine company owner?

Not that I hold you responsible, but now that I see the whole car I don't like it so much. I envisioned something different on the back end. Cropping, camera angle and lighting makes all the difference.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Maybe no part of this was built in the era, but Chip sure got the look right on this one:

[​IMG]

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey,
    The tin for the Dubonnet Xenia was beaten out by French coachbuilder Saoutchik, who built more than a few "pretty faces". Dubonnet, himself, was the moneyman behind the invention of the "Knee-action Supension''
    later produced by Generous Motors. Yeah, I know, more useless automotive trivia from the mouth of Pimpin!

Swankey Devils C.C.

21. bonesy

bonesy

You are right - the '36 Stude has the best grille. Moving the headlights a little lower and inward would do a world of good.

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I looked for one for a while to put on my '36 Ford -- never found one for sale, unless I wanted to buy a whole car. I'm surprised that it was never used on an early custom; LaSalle and Packard seemed to be the grilles of choice for the early cars.

23. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tony,

My take on this was that the use of parts for early kustoms were ment to heighten the statis of the marque of vehicle you were buildin'. Just because a part would work didn't mean most would use it. A Studebaker was a school teacher's or grocerie clerk's ride. Now parts off a LaSalle, Packard or say a Caddie, now you're talkin!

Swankey Devils C.C.

24. 1937 hudson terraplane waterfall grill....

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I was just reading an article last week at the Dr's office about car faces. How people prefer angry ones over cute ones in today's new cars/trucks.

I always thought the thing that killed the Edsel was the front design.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Good point, I think you're right. Plus, the LaSalle/Cadillac/Packard grilles were plated cast metal, adding a "quality" appearance, while the Stude was (I think) painted stamped steel. Sure would look good on a '36, though...

Yeah, I've noticed that! Audi, and most of the Japanese makes, all frown. I don't get it.

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

[​IMG]

Yeah!

28. Mac_55

Mac_55

Well here is a couple pics of my buddies 39 lasalle hearse , I think its got a great face .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  29. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

i believe thats a 40. I have a 39 lasalle myself, and the front fenders are different, and the grill is 1 piece. whereas in this pic u can see the grill is 2 piece ( the top piece is connected to the hood)

very neet ass hearse tho!!!

30. DRD57

DRD57

Anything designed by Figoni & Falaschi.

39 & 40 Ford Deluxe

40 Mercury

39 & 41 Buick

41 Cadillac