Register now to get rid of these ads!

safety lesson learned

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Mar 14, 2009.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

incidesent drop lights and aresol sprays dont mix. how long does it take for eyelashes and eyebrows to grow back? time for a new safer drop light. I am thankful, because it could have been a thousand time worse.

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

florecent trouble lights and flash lights are all i will have in my shop..incandecent light bulbs and any flamable substance is a recipe for disaster.
    I had a garage full of tools 3 motorcycles and a 68 Charger go up in flames all over one of those drop trouble lights..the globe had broken off of it the last time it was used (by my brother in law) he closed the door with it laying on the ground..His motorcycle leaked gas and oil..it was all over the floor when i got home that evening(obviously i didnt know)..went out turned on the lights..and wam..i was in the middle of the garage with fire all around me..3 weeks in Detroit receiving..burn center..not good!
    lost it all..and almost my life

everytime i see one of those incandescent trouble lights i cringe..no wonder they are called "trouble lights"

those halogen lights can be dangerous too..extreme heat source and flamables..bad idea..

all my halogens are on stands as a light source..I dont use them as trouble lights

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  3. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

the thump from the cuncussion was loud enough that my wife came out of the house. luckly i had a hat, and coat on so i was fairly protected. I was working on breaking a bolt loose and accidently oversparyed and hit the light. I dont know why but i guess instinct kicked in when i saw it coming i turned and covered. every thing that was greasy or had spray on it turned a nice shade of blue for 1/2 a second. scared the crap out of me.

4. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Wow! I didn't know about that at all. I guess I should buy new lights. Thanks, I'll look for a florescent one tomorrow.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

6. Plus all the money I have wasted over the years on replacement light bulbs when I always drop the DROP light! Those florescent drop lights are nice.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've gott a hand held LED rechargeable light...no heat, but it still doesn't put out the light like real bulbs...that fluorescent trouble light looks like a good idea

8. moses

moses

been there done that switched over to florescent .....jeffrey

9. gafridge

gafridge

ykp53,glad to see you are okay and not seriously burned.it could have been alot worse.i have told all my friends for to get rid of their old drop lights and get florescent ones for about a year or so,after hearing of a story like yours.they last longer and are alot cooler.

10. Yeah, those incandescent lights are dangerous, I've seen a couple of "flameouts" from them, luckily nobody or nothing got hurt. I got 2 LED cordless rechargeable lights at Lowes a year or so ago, mine are quite bright and versatile, got a swivel hook on top and are easy to position. They claim to last up to 5 hours on a charge, I haven't had one go out on me yet. Got rid of all the corded trouble lights and use only the LEDs now. About $15 each, best trouble lights I've ever had.

11. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

There was another thread on the HAMB were the guy dropped one when changing out a fuel filter/line or something similiar. The bulb broke and the hot filament caught fire. Cooked half the car and almost the whole garage.
    I did two things that day - bought two fire extinguishers and threw out my old light.

12. striper

striper

I am a fireman. I went to a fire once where a guy was working on the fuel pump of his 911. He was using one of these lights. Lost the Porsche, his wife's new Holden, his garage (attached to the house) and was very lucky we saved the house. Everything in the house was smoke damaged. Flouro for me.

Pete

13. What if one put a florescent bulb in one? I just touched one of mine, it's hot but nothing like an incandescent bulb.

14. Jimv

Jimv

I was going to run a post on here about flouresant bulbs, what i've been doing is using the low wattage floresant screw in bulbs in my drop lites, there as good as rough service & as long as there not touching the cage they can withstand a drop.
    I mean there not going to survive being doused in gas but Home depot has 4 for $2.65 , 40 or 60 W.Godd way to save money anyhow.They don't run too hot so maybe they'd be OK around gas
    JimV

15. Ramblur

Ramblur

Way back when I was wrenching at a local gas station the boss threatened
    to start taking light bulbs outta my paycheck...Never have been a fan of
    incandescent "drop" lights. Shoot,they even had fluorescent ones in
    Hollywood Knights...:confused:

16. swimeasy

swimeasy

This is a really good post! EVERYBODY should junk those stupid lights!!!

17. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

dude LED is the way to go, all my lights are LED lights, less energy and bright as hell

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I didnt get fucked up too bad..I grabbed a fire extinguisher and fought my way out..3rd degree for an area on my left hand about the size of 2 half dollars and second degree out to all my fingers..lost all my facial hair and some on my head.Just below 1st degree on my face so it healed up ok..(im not and wasnt a pretty boy anyways:eek:) the worst part was what i breathed in..that was why they kept me at Detroit burn center for so long after the skin grafts took place on my hand., they were more worried about my lungs more than anything else.

I try to warn people about these so called trouble lights..The LED ones are great..I gave one to Courland (Danamals Boy for his birthday) they work great and are very safe..do not burn what you lay them on either.

I have a policy, after what happened to me..I will not use those incandecent lights for no reason..and no one will be able to ever change my mind about them..first hand experiance beats any opinion anyone has when it comes to these for me.