Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #261
72Gremlin
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Lost Drag Strips

Awesome to see the old track being used!!! I'd LOVE to be able to buy the old "Boondocks" outside of Peoria Illinois and do something like this!!!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #262
Chuck R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61TBird View Post
Here's one my Brother took of Fremont Dragstrip.
The city did this to stop "Midnight Runs" down the closed down strip.

Photobucket
This was a sad day, one part of this that makes me crazy is about 2 years after the strip was closed the local newspaper ran an in depth series on what is wrong with our youth and why do they race on the streets? It seems they forgot all about closing the strip 2 years earlier. Think there might have been a connection????

chuck
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #263
LoneWolfNoCLub
Grenade Inspector

MORE:

Some cars making a pass:

Sitting in my car near starting line, waiting to make a pass:

My car: not hamb friendly, I know I know

Looking down track from starting line:

Hope you enjoyed

James
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #264
72Gremlin
Grenade Inspector

Actually the surface appears pretty darn good...if it's been closed since 1978!!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #265
LoneWolfNoCLub
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Gremlin View Post
Actually the surface appears pretty darn good...if it's been closed since 1978!!!!
I know I was quite suprised by it myself!!! Quite baffled in fact! After 30+ michigan winters! It gets a just a hair bumpy after the eighth, but here in MI, we have all probably street raced on shittier roads at one point or another!
Thay are re-surfacing it in the spring!

Unfortunately, they say there is NO WAY this could EVER re-open to the public again, it is just one man, spending his OWN money, hoping for some friends to pitch in to help when they can..... I plan to enjoy it for as long as possible..... A guy tried to re-open it in 1985 and met MAJOR opposition...... He organized a "gathering" at the track site, and about 1500 people showed up, some driving like assholes on the road the track sits off of, doing other dumb stuff, etc..... This is WAYYYY out in the country. That showing where a few people basically ruined it for everyone......

This is by invite-only, I plan to enjoy it while it lasts!

James
Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 AM   #266
SYCO620

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3x65mph View Post
Half Moon Bay Dragstrip
Great pics. My old man raced a 37 Ford there every weekend in the late 50s/early 60s.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #267
DirtyEd
Grenade Inspector

Say this thread and had to go to the great Southeastern Dragway in Dallas Ga. today.It KILLED me to see it just sitting there because of greed and a bankrupt builder.THANKS CHARLES HARDY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0104001648b.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	861074   Click image for larger version

Name:	0104001648a.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	861075   Click image for larger version

Name:	0104001648.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	861076  

Name:	0104001652.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	861077   Click image for larger version

Name:	0104001649a.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	861078  
Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #268
Weaverville Studios

WOW!!....All of that corn and a drag strip plum in the middle of it all?!?!? If y'all just ignore that van on the RH side of the pix this great shot looks like a scene straight out of a drag racer's version of the movie Field of Dreams " If you build it, they will come"...
Thanks for sharing...I hope to sneak out there one day this Summer if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfNoCLub View Post
Looking down track from starting line:

Hope you enjoyed

James
Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #269
Hoosier Hurricane

I stumbled onto this thread a couple days ago. Sad discussion, but we cannot change the past. I've been racing for 50 years, my first trip down a strip was at Bunker Hill, mentioned in a previous thread. In reviewing the tracks that I have raced at in the midwest, I realize that Avilla in IN and Bluegrass in Nicolasville KY are gone. There are some others I haven't heard anything about in a while, and wonder if they still exist. In Ohio there were: Van Wert, Kettlersville, Piqua, and Marion County. In southern IN was Harrison County (near the town of Floyd's Knobs). In KY was Louisville and Mountain Park (at Clay City). Anyone have any info on any of these tracks? Thanks.

John
Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #270
mctim64
Alliance Member

"it looks just like a Tellafunkin U-47"

http://yblockguy.com/
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #271
D-fens
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyEd View Post
Say this thread and had to go to the great Southeastern Dragway in Dallas Ga. today.It KILLED me to see it just sitting there because of greed and a bankrupt builder.THANKS CHARLES HARDY
Used to run at Dallas when I was in high school (early 80's). Wasn't so fun any more after they cut the strip down to 1/8mi.

Always wondered why, the shutdown wasn't that short, but I wasn't driving a 200+ mph car either.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #272
DirtyEd
Grenade Inspector

They had to peel an alchol funny car out of tthe trees on the other side of Mt.Tabor road(which crosses at 90 degrees at the end of the property).It was the perfect storm,the chute did not open and the throttle was stuck.Afterwards the dirt mound was made bigger and the strip was cut to 1/8.Probaly insurance and local politics as usual.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #273
LoneWolfNoCLub
Grenade Inspector

At the track I posted above (ONANDAGA DRAGWAY, MI) I was seriously wondering how Art Arfons was able to stop the GREEN MONSTER there in '65...... With the tires and brakes of the time it was a real feat! When I was there we were only running the 1/8th mile, and it seemed to me like a couple cars were "running it out the back door" a bit, (like they politely asked that you NOT do) and seemed to be having to try like hell to stop, I have no idea how a jet car would stop!

James
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #274
Kreepea_1
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel_Presley View Post
No pictures except from the sky.

First was the Holly Ridge Drag Strip. Closed in the late 60s

Second is the Unofficial Holly Ridge Drag Strip. An old abandoned military runway. No rules, just run. Military dug a big ditch around the whole thing to keep people out in the 70s after some Marines got killed there. According to my dad it was crazy there. 6 cars on one end and 6 on the other and run them interlacing eachother. Cars not stopping and running right into the woods. Rednecks with guns. Sonds like fun and I'm sorry I missed it.
I remember that place. It was used on and off up until the early '80s. Chucklehead_Al and I was recently talking about a mid point between Jacksonville and Wilmington for a HAMB gathering and HR Strip came up. I think it's now leased to the military as an airstrip for helicopter training.

Here is a 1980 news paper article on action at the strip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HRDrag-02.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	878957   Click image for larger version

Name:	HRDrag-01.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	878958  
Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #275
Zack Methvin
Grenade Inspector

How many of you guys remember Riverside Raceway that was just east of Jackson, Ms on I-20? Here are some shots i took around 75', 76'. This is the first time i ever met Don Garlits in person. I thought i was a millionare when he autographed my pitpass sticker. Sorry for the poor quality, after all it was the 70's and i never was much of a photographer, LOL. Also, please feel free to identify any of the cars. It has been too many years for me to remember anything about these guys.

Last edited by Zack Methvin; 01-30-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #276
John Cooper
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bje31 View Post
Anyone remember the 1/8 mile track in West Virginia, Fairmont Dragway and was called Eldora Dragway as well. It was an original 1/4 but later on was cut back to the 1/8. Pics would be appreciated.
Not only remember it but raced and worked there. I have lived 3 miles from the track since I was born and loved to hear the sound of the cars racing. Later when I was older I numbered the cars and raced my 1st car, a Ford Torino and later my 72 Nova there. A friend of mine took over the dragstrip and ran it until it closed. He owns an original Sox & Martin roadrunner. The track is now an industrial park. MAkes me mad everytime I go past there!!!

I am also looking for old pictures, programs etc.... Planning to write a book about it. If you have any info you would like to share, I would love to see/hear them! jecddc@suddenlink.net - John Cooper
Old 02-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #277
62catalina
FNG

Are there any members that remember the old 1/8 mile strip near Cherokee N.C.. We called it Cherokee some called it Dillsboro it was close to the river off hwy. 441. i would like to see some pics
Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #278
ClayMart
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Hurricane View Post
...Sad discussion, but we cannot change the past. I've been racing for 50 years, my first trip down a strip was at Bunker Hill, mentioned in a previous thread. In reviewing the tracks that I have raced at in the midwest, I realize that Avilla in IN and Bluegrass in Nicolasville KY are gone. There are some others I haven't heard anything about in a while, and wonder if they still exist. In Ohio there were: Van Wert, Kettlersville, Piqua, and Marion County...

John
The "Hoosier Hurricane"! Tan and brown '57 Ford with a supercharger, if I remember correctly. I was an unofficial "track photographer" at Avilla for a few years and know I've got several shots of you racing there some where in my archives. Avilla Raceway's been an industrial park for quite a few years now.

Van Vert Dragway (later, Wayne Trail Dragway) has been gone for years too. Been a long time since I've been over that way, but the last time I was, parts of the track were still there as was the old cinder block tower.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #279
swcmaz

75 & *0 has reopen again. Ran all last year & will be running againg this year.

IHRA sanction.

Plum
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #280
jughead2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62catalina View Post
Are there any members that remember the old 1/8 mile strip near Cherokee N.C.. We called it Cherokee some called it Dillsboro it was close to the river off hwy. 441. i would like to see some pics
is this the one called cherokee international race way. it was run by a crippled guy? had a cornfield at the end of it? if it is this old man won a few coins there with a 63 max-wedge ply. would love to have any pics that are available of it.