Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Super Speedway

It's been a rough couple of weeks at Ranche De Cochran. To be honest, I haven't had much time to think about cars much at all. But last night, I got a welcome relief. Marcie was putting our oldest to bed while I fed Miller and flipped through the c...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Ryan
Administrator

Default Re: Super Speedway

Sorry for the repost fellas... Technical glitch.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 07-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Stromberg97
Grenade Inspector

Being an enormous Mario Andretti fan I saw this movie the day it came out at a real IMAX theater and it was awesome. I've had it on DVD since that came out as well. I've been a long time Indy 500 fan, interested in it's rich history and drama, and the restoration of the old Indy car in the movie was spectacular. I'd recommend this movie to anybody, not just car guys or race fans.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Engine Pro 5X
Old School HAMBer

I thought you guys kicked me out of the club-house again!! Like I said earlier. I like the pic of Mario with brother Aldo and I don't know if many people realize that they shared rides back in the day>>>>.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
vendettaautofab
Member Emeritus

Ryan, as I told you last week or so... that car and the restoration location are about 20 min from me, and I never knew it until I got my hands on a Super Speedway DVD two weeks ago. Its really a cool story, and the myth and legen surrounding Don Lyons' collection is really something.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Steve 38

Wow, this is really exciting. I have had a fascination with Mario Andretti for a long time. He is one of those guys who, whenever he has something to say, its really worth listening to. I love hearing his stories about when his racing career was just starting out.

I remember reading once about his days in dirt track Sprintcar racing in the late 50s, and early 60s. He said fatalaties were so common, at the start of a racing season, when all the drivers would gather in a room at the start of a season, he'd look around the room and wonder how many drivers would be dead by seasons end. Pretty grim stuff, and almost unimaginable in todays world.